Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Should i or shouldn't i

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by exterminator, Mar 24, 2017.

1. exterminator

exterminator

Ok, here is the deal. I have a 40 ford pickup that I have owned for many years.It has a sbc and 350 trans. Now at almost 65 years old- I have been wanting a bad boy for a while.Now I also own a 454 chevy engine that I had built about eight years ago that doesn't have more than 2500 miles on it.I love that engine but if I put it in my forty,i might have to cut the firewall and what ever else. Has anyone has done this engine swap? I this morning seen in craigslist a small block with a blower for $4000 that he will start for you. I need some imput from you guys- and I don't have the cash for the blower at this time. Exterminator

Early Ironman likes this.
  2. Sell the 454 for the sb& blower?

MUNDSTER and exterminator like this.
  3. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

I would choose the small-block. It will fit right in. '40's are tight. The BB has been done before but I think not without some cutting and squeezing and hassle. But thats what hot rodder's do!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Atwater Mike and exterminator like this.
  4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Lots of folks think 454's are way too heavy and over rated power plants for a 40 as
    they are old technology. Go with the SBC and blower.
    Part of the charm of a 40 is the firewall. Don't cut it up
    for a 454.

afaulk, exterminator and Atwater Mike like this.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, stay with small block - big blocks fun for the torque. but, a properly built small block - even without a blower - will give you all of the "Bad Boy" power that you will need

MUNDSTER, kbgreen and exterminator like this.
  6. exterminator

exterminator

I measured the length and width of the big block- WOW. I would have to go back a lot of inches into the cab.I wonder how they do it in willy pickups unless your 5ft2?

nochop likes this.
  7. Mo rust

Mo rust

The difference between a small block and a big block (length) is all from the motor mounts forward. If the current small block has a long water pump, you can go to a big block with a short pump and only add a half inch or so out front. Big blocks are a bit wider and you would have to watch for steering box clearance and exhaust clearance issues though. I've quit using small blocks and build everything big block any more. The torque makes it a lot of fun to drive.

exterminator likes this.
  8. Forget the big block,my unsolicited opinion would be to sell the BBC to finance the blown sbc. HRP

9. exterminator

exterminator

I do love the torque and felt like a kid again when I had the engine in my 56 pickup.

10. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

You don't have to give excuses for cubic inches.

Texas Webb and exterminator like this.
  11. CME1

CME1

Go with the SBC. It will give you all the power your "40 will need plus some! And it just looks at home in the engine compartment!

exterminator likes this.
  12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That's what blowers are for, cubic inch displacement increases. :D No excuses either.

I would not put a big block into anything these days.

exterminator likes this.
  13. squirrel

squirrel

sheesh, put a blower on the big block and be done with it.

buncha girls here

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

exterminator likes this.
  15. squirrel

squirrel

I didn't have the cash to build mine when I first knew that I had to do it, but I got it done eventually. Just a matter of setting priorities.

Larry T, Just Gary, rod1 and 2 others like this.
  16. Get rid of both chev motors an install a big block ford in your forty !!!!

warbird1, kbgreen and BamaMav like this.
  17. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Now,,,,,
    Some where in SoCal is a black 40 pickup with a early Hemi,,,, now that was eye candy and I am sure some go juice,,,,
    Saw it a few years back at the NHRA Wednesday cruise...
    I have a 327 and tri power and it still scares me at times

kbgreen and exterminator like this.
  18. 69fury

69fury

don't have cash for blower on the big bock- get the blower and put it on the big block. If we waited till we could afford kids, we'd be extinct, right?

kbgreen and exterminator like this.
  19. exterminator

exterminator

LOL

20. exterminator

exterminator

Been running a small block in it for 20 years! It wouldn't know how to act!:D

21. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Stick with the small block. Build it mild enough to be streetable but still run and sounds hard. Then drive it every chance you get!
    IMO, blowers look and sound sweet. And are streetable if the rest of the engine is built around being driven in all kinds of conditions. The engine compartment gets pretty hot in these pickups. A fan shroud is a must. Cut out the back six inches or so of the splash pan to let more heat out. Louvered hood is traditional and effective. But I live in seattle and still drive my 41 in the rain. Don't want my engine getting soaked so kept an unlouvered hood.
    But really, I think anything to get you behind the wheel and on the road is a good direction to go!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    exterminator likes this.
  22. exterminator

exterminator

Working on a deal.Decided to sell my big block:( to a relative who's wanted it since I got it back and working on a deal for a small block with a blower- a long time dream! Thanks for the imput everyone. Exterminator

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  23. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    We have owned 2 ...40 sedan deliveries at two different times. One was a low buck low power Flathead that was as slow as molasses, but gave us 1000's of happy driving to surf spots all over So Cal. The next was another similar looking sedan delivery about 10 years later. It had a 327 and moved quite well. The motor fit perfectly and ran well, with plenty of trouble free miles until we sold it to buy a house.

We have always lusted after a 40 wagon and we had thoughts of an SBC with a 671 for a different look. We had a 283 with a 671 on our race C/Gas Willys coupe, but that motor was the inspiration for this new idea. That motor was impressive when the hood was lifted. It ran hard and sounded like pure power. But, it was not a motor to use for daily driving at the time, sure, a cruise to the drive in and back was ok.

Jnaki
    Today, there are new ways to set up that 671 on an SBC for smooth running on the street. Look at all of the images here on the HAMB of the RPUs and coupes. So, as impressive as a big block would be, the SBC would fit easily in the engine compartment. Now, the only thing is to make sure you have clearance with carbs for lowering your hood.

exterminator likes this.
  24. BJR

BJR

Just be like everyone else, go with the small block. Same old, same old, don't want to buck the trend, gotta conform. Or you could be a trend setter and do something different. Just saying.:D

25. squirrel

squirrel

Should be a lot of fun, with the blower!

26. Gman0046

Gman0046

I've never been a blower fan. Never had one and will never want one. Can't justify the expense vs. the benefits. Definitely wouldn't hack up a running driving 40 pickup for a 454 swap. A 454 for me is a detriment. I'd drive the wheels off that 40 and put your money in your wallet. Just my opinion.

Gary

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  27. ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ All that weight on the front end with all that much more power and torque to the rear wheels of a small pickup? You'd have to beef up both suspensions and add lots more tire to the rear to even begin to take advantage of it. More tire means narrowing the rear end and would also involve re-proportioning the brakes. No problem if that's what you want though. Just time & $$$.

28. squirrel

squirrel

I suppose...but I'm running a blown 427 with 7" of tread, been in the nines a couple times with it. There are lots of ways to skin a cat

jnaki, Larry T and afaulk like this.
  29. ...I'd just be happy to drive what you got, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    ....if you put the BB in it, you will be broke, break stuff on the truck, and you'll have to fix it.
    ...just a thot.

30. Squablow

Squablow

I'm with rusty1 on this. Granted, I'm not a good mechanic by any stretch. I'd rather build a body from scratch around a running chassis.

But that said, every time I have taken the engine out of a running, driveable car, I have regretted it.

I'm sure there are guys who can do an engine swap like that in a couple weeks and have it back up and running and better than ever. But I am not that guy, and I have seen countless runners pulled apart for the sake of making them better/faster that don't go back together for many years after (if ever).

That, and I'm not a drag racer, and I hate breaking shit, especially expensive shit. Big engines look cool and sound nice, but I know I personally just never have the need for extreme horsepower. If it drives nice and can do highway speeds, is anything else really necessary? Will the big block make it suck gas like crazy and steer harder?

Things to consider. Also, a blower sticking through the hood only looks cool if the whole vehicle is built to match. Otherwise it's dorky/tacky, making the big block a better choice. Got pics of this truck?

wutnxt likes this.