Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods GOING TO TRY IT AGAIN ~ SEATS ~ Ryan approved

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 23, 2017.

1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Danny
    I don't think any of the seats from U.S. cars will fit or look "correct" without a bunch of modifications. As beaner said, something like the old Austin Healy buckets was one of the seats I considered for my roadster, probably pretty pricey and hard to find nowadays though.
    I decided to go with "suspension" seats that someone mentioned in your prior thread, mine are from @Mastercraftsafety.com they are called pre runner seats and are for off-road race trucks. They mount easy and are reasonably priced. They offer both high and low back versions but the high backs don't look right in early cars.
    My seats are 22" wide, fit snug in my roadster but they offer them in narrower widths.
    They come ready to mount, with many color, fabric/vinyl options.
    These were tested in my friends car on a trip from Portland to Bakersfield and were very comfortable. I got the optional seat heaters installed but with an enclosed car with a heater they probably aren't needed, I also got the adjustable lumbar support option.

BTW, those IH Scout seats that @KoolKat-57 has sure look really good though.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  2. Actually the raven has a pair of buckets from a '50s jag, they look so much like A sedan seats that it is scary. I can't imagine that they are easy to find and I am sure that a jag restorer would think that they were made of gold but they are good looking seats.

I wonder how wide early vette seats are? Those first gen vettes were not a big car.

Someone mentioned CJ seats, that would be a good option. JC Whittney has them in their Jeep catalog and they are priced well.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. those are the seats in my `28 Tudor...off topic mid 70s Honda civic. might be a bit hard to find now

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. Bader2

Bader2

AHotRod and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  5. I got Ryans approval via a PM ,I guess the 5 reports killed the thread and not a moderator,haters are gonna hate. :rolleyes: HRP

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    Bandit Billy likes this.
  6. I had some old vw beetle seats in a tudor; actually worked pretty good, probably would work even better with modern foam and stuff.

Deadbird, Just Gary and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

I have some early sixties thunderbird buckets you can have they are in maryland

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Sometimes we are surrounded by peckerwoods. :D

9. Danny,
    I can get you some early Corvair seats- just let me know!

lothiandon1940 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

After seeing the work yall did on the wagon, cant you just make your own to fit? You make everything else work out.:)

HOTRODPRIMER and KoolKat-57 like this.
  11. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

HRP here are the forklift seats I was talking about installed in the T.Note that they are about 20 years old.Held up pretty good.0 DSCN1611.JPG 0

patmanta and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  12. We had something to work with on the wagon and we will probably have to do some modifications on whatever I decide to use. HRP

13. Hey Danny here is one that I made for my 37 Plymouth build if you are interested the link to the build thread is below.

IMG_0028.JPG

IMG_0027.JPG

Attached Files:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Bengals makes this frame.
    seats 014.jpg

16. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

I like a tall seat, just not into sitting on the floor like a go kart.
    These old mopar seats are pretty comfortable. This is a 47, I have a 51 plymouth suburban with same seat and is pretty comfortable to me, I like it has a split back and folds forward.
    Granted mine is just old brown leather looking, nowhere near as nice as the plaid.
    [​IMG]

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. Here is the set I'm using in my roadster build. A cool swap meet find. They are out of a civilian light aircraft. Super comfortable and will look great when my upholstery guy gets down with them.
    20160317_102653.jpg

PugetDude, charleyw and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  18. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Toyota echo two door seats. IMG_0344.jpg Who gives a shit what they are as long as they are comfy and look good.

19. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

except for the fact that these are the kinds of posts that got this thread deleted before... did you read the first few posts here???

20. mid sixties[?] bench seat that i cut down reshaped and had upholstered. first cut the center out, then added to the backs using emt and some sheet metal. then the bottom corners were brought in to match the shape of the door. new foam and some fabric . very comfortable. 1542721-1913eb457fae27738eb18de9d7983420.jpg 1542723-df5dbd5cda0f58e99c0b615270ac5e55.jpg 2014-02-16 18.12.03.jpg 2014-02-16 18.17.05.jpg 1562533-e0eeafa0901aa8d3e6ad174f2c44c5ea.jpg DSCF4407.JPG

Rex_A_Lott, cptn60, TagMan and 3 others like this.
  21. Keep them coming guys. HRP

22. I have a pair of "speedster" buckets that I didn't include in the sale of a 57 356 that I sent down the road. Problem with them for me is they don't tilt.. I suppose a piano hinge at the front would cure that. Probably just do it on the passenger side and only use that side.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. Ahhhh, you beat me to it. Small seats that are super comfortable, my g/f had a '65 monza.

24. Dodge A100 seats:
    [​IMG]

Hilman Husky:
    [​IMG]

Ford Anglia:

[​IMG]

Studebaker:

[​IMG]

Rambler:

[​IMG]

lewk, AHotRod, DHeep and 1 other person like this.
  25. gene-koning

gene-koning

Why not rebuild the seats that are in the car now? Recondition the springs and replace the old foam cushion with new, and recover. Most seats mentioned are "cheap seats" in low priced cars & trucks and the foam cushion and springs break down over time and they get hard. You already know your current seats fit and work, they just need to be soft again. Gene

54vicky likes this.
  26. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I might be using an extra pair of TR6 seats minus the headrest but at a bench in my '32 is what I will end up with.

27. ken bogren

ken bogren

I don't have a photo, but I wonder if bucket seats from a 63/4 AMC with the Twin Stick manual transmission might work. I'm thinking that because the cars had a console that the seats might be narrow enough. Might be hard to find though.

28. Had MG Midget bucket seats in my model A, they where pretty comfy (although the rest of the car did it's best to negate that).

IMG_4007.JPG

AHotRod likes this.
  29. CLM

CLM

These are Jag seats from about 30 years ago. Super simple flat mounting area. 43" overall width, extremely comfortable and without the headrest they look like early sports car type seats to me. With the headrest they look like Baja seats. Plus I think they were $20 each at the pick-n-pull.
    Also, this set may be OT, but they ran this basic seat minus the headrest from the early 60's thru the late 80's.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    Blue One likes this.