Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods "The Creeper"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mike bowling, Jan 17, 2017.

1. MERCURYGUY

MERCURYGUY

God Bless you. I could have never taken on a task like that. Mercuryguy

loudbang and mike bowling like this.
  2. mike bowling

mike bowling

Thanks--It's more fun to fix junk - you weld in one direction till you hit something solid, then you do the same in the opposite direction. Fill in the hole, hook up a new gas bottle and spool of wire, and do it again. Simple.
    Solid metal's a walk in the park; fix shit like this and you've accomplished something. Just ask any of the New England boys on here! DSCN1591.JPG

enloe, clunker, wackdaddy and 5 others like this.
  3. ^^^^Ain't that the truth Mike.

4. tommycarpunk

tommycarpunk
    from Milaca, MN

I want to see the 30 Buick! Break out the pics

5. mike bowling

mike bowling

Slow going lately- weather sucks, and my tech support son is in California and can't download pics for me. I've been busy with a million little things- MORE welding on the body ( almost done!), finishing up the running boards and splash aprons, getting the fire wall ready for filler and paint,
    putting in the top wood, and on and on.
    FSCN3136.JPG Started thinking about body work and paint, but it's still too cold. I've got heat, but at night it's down around 0* and during a good day only gets up to 40 ( which feels good if the winds not howling).
    I'm not complaining though ( much). This is a fun project and I am looking forward to total assembly and the maiden voyage.
    I'll be back with pics soon. Keep your powder dry, and don't spit into the wind!

clunker and Mikel50 like this.
  6. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

58 Chevy !

7. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang, TFoch and Mikel50 like this.
  8. mike bowling

mike bowling

Back again- finally got a few more pics put in-
    Finished up the modified running board brackets so the rear ones don't limit the torsion bar movement.
    I had to make it so it dropped lower than the bar, then hooked back up 1.5 " to be in the right location. Lots of dicking around, but I hung the sheetmetal and it looks like it might actually work DSCN3142.JPG

9. I'm going to engrave this on a plaque. No truer words have been spoken. Mike is like Gandalf.

biggeorge, poprivit and patmanta like this.
  10. mike bowling

mike bowling

HaHa----Looking at that last picture, I think it's time for Spring Cleaning! Getting mighty small in there.
    Time to hire some of those PIA Hobbits! ( second breakfast my ass- and no pipe weed till after work!)

Frame is ready to finish brakes and plumbing ( I can put the motor and tranny back in soon ?)
    With warmer weather coming soon, the attack is now focused on the body- lots of welding /grinding and finally a little canned magic .
    Did some work on the dash, which was sliced and diced to fit and needed some support for the column drop and in general--- 1 x 1 heavy wall tube ( old shipping material from the local Kubota dealer-FREE) DSCN3153.JPG

Stogy, clunker and TFoch like this.
  11. mike bowling

mike bowling

Got a bunch of odds and ends for top wood in this thing- a new header from a Model "A" parts / swap meet pal ( Thanks, Clyde!)- he also gave me a bunch of door wood and top bows that were chewed up on one end. Wasn't sure if they'd work, but the price was right, and when I got them home found they were too long- re-modeled one end and good to go! Also got a few pieces from Ben Le Blanc and had enough to forge on. DSCN3158.JPG

Stogy likes this.
  12. mike bowling

mike bowling

I had most of the brackets except for the header- needed those to get started so I called Mr. Kelton again- " Yes, I've got a pair that should work"................ key word in there "should".
    I got them home and put them together 500 different ways and decided to go look at my other coupe to see WTF was up. Not even close! I got out my catalogs and saw what they got for NEW repops, and took out the welder and cut-off set up.
    I got me a roof! DSCN3157.JPG DSCN3162.JPG DSCN3170.JPG DSCN3185.JPG

T-roaster, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  13. mike bowling

mike bowling

Running low on food here- SOS
    Thought I'd sponsor a fundraiser with the local cheerleaders helping.

( I'm just funnin' a little, any of you guys with cheerleaders in the family don't take offense) DSCN3177.JPG DSCN3178.JPG DSCN3180.JPG

14. LSJUNIPER

LSJUNIPER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from ct

TRUE DAT!!!!!!!!

biggeorge likes this.
  15. mike bowling

mike bowling

Made up some body mount blocks with scraps of Azak ( plastic house trim). More free stuff from the trash! DSCN3186.JPG

16. mike bowling

mike bowling

Break time! Do what ya gotta do!

4-25-2012 063.jpg

Stogy and biggeorge like this.
  17. mike bowling

mike bowling

Made up one windshield out of pieces of three.
    Fitted up, and made a template for glass.
    Starting to look like a coupe again! DSCN3191.JPG DSCN3192.JPG DSCN3195.JPG

18. [​IMG]

clunker, biggeorge and Mikel50 like this.
  19. mike bowling

mike bowling

This is putting things in my head that look like Heironymus Bosch painted them. Jeezus, I just finished dinner too. Gaaaaaah!
    You need help, Mr. Palmer!

20. mike bowling, Stogy and Mikel50 like this.
  21. mike bowling

mike bowling

Things are getting done, but nothing with pictures. I'm waiting for it to warm up so I can get back at it. 3" of snow, rain, hail and slush last night- I was finally able to see the grass too, dadgummit!
    Spring's out there someplace- happy April Fool's Day! 12-29-11 065.jpg

22. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Man Mike, that firewall came out NICE!!

mike bowling likes this.
  23. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Hey Mike, you have any pictures of the dash from the front side? What did you use?

24. mike bowling

mike bowling

It WAS a "Bitchin" '40 Ford dash I got off a guy on here a couple of years ago- cut it up and re did the dash panel. It had Dolphin gauges, so I put in some from my collection ( since the picture was taken I found a really cool SW tach that's going in. DSCN2806.JPG DSCN3102.JPG DSCN3126.JPG DSCN3129.JPG

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    T-roaster, loudbang, cactus1 and 3 others like this.
  25. Can't believe I'm seeing this thread for the first time. Mike is gettin er dun !

mike bowling likes this.
  26. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Thanks Mike. Looks sweet!

mike bowling likes this.
  27. mike bowling

mike bowling

Thanks for the positive feedback--I'll have some more pics to post soon- lots of welding is pretty much done, and I threw some red oxide primer at the body after hours of grinding- so far, not bad for a carpenter!
    Swap meets are back!!! YAY!!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    loudbang likes this.
  28. Mike, did you engine turn that dash piece yourself?

29. mike bowling

mike bowling

Yeah- the dash was done freehand with a drill press- I put an old wire brush in it and did pretty well until the left corner got a little out of control. I went back over it and straightened it out later. It was a scrap piece of aluminum I had, and thought I'd give it a shot- jury's still out on that one! DSCN3122.JPG

T-roaster and patmanta like this.
  30. Mikel50

Mikel50