Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Terminology

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porknbeaner, Mar 21, 2017.

1. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I laughed at this thinking; how could he not understand? Then I remembered that at 51, I am no longer a kid and such words are now ascribed to body shaming... :(

loudbang likes this.
  2. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

While working at a local Chevrolet Dealer years back we had a 1973 Chevelle come in for a tune up, the kid that got the repair order was doing fine with the plugs and wires and such. When it came to the points and condenser he was totally lost. He asks me if I knew what these were and where did they go. So I told him under the distributor rotor. He looked like he just got kicked in the groin! When I went over and showed him where they went and how to gap them and set the dwell he thought I was a magician! That's when I realized I was getting to be an old fart! Joe

OahuEli, loudbang, pat59 and 2 others like this.
  3. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Engaged is when the clutch is connecting the engine to the transmission. Disengaged is when the clutch is not connecting the engine to the transmission.

Losing the clutch means the vehicle won't move.

loudbang and Blues4U like this.
  4. jchav62

jchav62

Tranny used to be safe to say... now when you say it, there's always a smart-ass around making jokes about sex change.

Back in the day my dad would say "The engine won't turn over" referring to an engine that's frozen or ceased. Nowadays, I hear people using that term for 'it won't start'. "It cranks, but it won't turn over".

gasser57! and loudbang like this.
  5. Smitty's32

Smitty's32

Pull the dizzy. Come on, is it that hard to say distributor?

2many projects and loudbang like this.
  6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mill....whatza mill? Are we grinding flour or corn?

loudbang likes this.
  7. blackanblue

blackanblue

Just read this whole thread now I gotta go worsh my hands.

OahuEli and loudbang like this.
  8. gatz

gatz

So true, Bill...
    It seemed to be an acquired talent in the Army to be able to insert the F word into any (and sometimes all) other words or phrases for emphasis ....eventually becoming part of ones vocabulary.
    Ex. "What time is formation?" "Threefuckingo'clock"
    Ex. "that helifuckingcopter is making strange sounds"

OahuEli, 48stude and loudbang like this.
  9. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Beaner, when I lived in the Portland area they would refer to a High Performance part or car as a "Hi-Pro". I still see people selling a Chevy "12 volt " rear end. Some around here refer to front sheet metal as "a doghouse"

loudbang likes this.
  10. jchav62

jchav62

Bones = Rods to some folks...

loudbang likes this.
  11. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Reproduction parts are called "repop" for some reason.

loudbang likes this.
  12. Drewski

Drewski

I took auto/body during the 70's and we were taught to reference the front body work as the sheet metal lift off. Clips referred to actual body panels or structural parts that had to be cut off. Right or wrong it made perfect sense to me at the time.

loudbang likes this.
  13. I would guess this has as much to do with the B and V being right beside each other on a keyboard and it being a keystroke error that was not checked carefully as it does with thinking its a 12 volt rear end.

14. Engaged means that the engine and transmission are soon to me married and disengaged means they just broke up. :D

Engaged is made up, of hooked up and disengaged is free wheeling or not hooked up. Made up, now there is one that no one will understand, when a switch is made up means that it is in the on position, the circuit is not broken. But made up can also mean that the torque converter is locked up or that the clutch is engaged or turning the transmission.

My old man used to say "clean it" I have heard other use the term "clean it out." When you get one loaded up (too much raw fuel in the intake and not enough air) you "clean it". Open the carburetors/s up and allow more air in to compensate for the lack of air in the air fuel mix. This usually cause a large puff of black smoke to blow out of the exhaust.

Belch out the carb or just belch. Blows a flame out of the air horn of the carburetor, sometimes removing your eyebrows in the process. :)

Jimmy thanks. ;)

Yep, you done good when you bought me that old truck. it would stand up and cut a straight line and didn't take much to make it do that. :D

[​IMG]

Dizzy is actually more of an English term as of late. I think they were still called dizzys here back in the days of the flivver.

"slip the gears" I don't doubt that I have mentioned that more then once and it is just a matter of matching engine speed with transmission speed when you have no syncros, like an old Ford.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    loudbang, Montana1 and oldsjoe like this.
  15. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Actually, there are 2 separate terms, pre-ignition, and detonation, and they mean different things.

Detonation is not the normal combustion process, it is a sudden explosion of remaining gases that occurs during the combustion process after the air/fuel mixture has been ignited by the spark plug. It results in a sharp pressure rise in the chamber that rattles the engine components which causes the audible knock that you can hear. Detonation can result in severe damage to an engine, i.e. pitted pistons, and cracked or broken rings and ring lands.

Pre-ignition is ignition of the air/fuel mix prior to the ignition from the spark plug. The source of pre-ignition is often some heated carbon deposits. It tends to occur very early in the compression stroke, is not really audible, and causes extremely high temperatures inside the cylinder as the piston tries to compress the expanding gases. Pre-ignition causes severe damage very quickly.

loudbang likes this.
  16. Have you ever noticed that when you type "shifter" all spellcheckers highlight it??? What are we supposed to do, write "that thing you shift with" instead?
    I guess if you're young enough and smart enough to program, you get to make the rules of language use. :confused:

loudbang likes this.
  17. My gang of hooligans has always said You need to Put some timing In or Pull some timing Out ~ never heard Pull some In

loudbang likes this.
  18. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Probably referring to the difference between a Detroit Locker which positively locks the differential side gears together until enough force builds to overcome the spring pressure, and a limited slip type differential that allows some slippage between the side gears until the difference in speed between the 2 is great enough to engage the limited slip, or when one side gear is stopped and the other is turning. All locking and limited slip differentials are not created the same, there are significant differences between them.

I recall an old time hot rodder that was active in the La Puente, CA area during the 50's, who told me they used to just weld up the spider gears so there was no differential action at all. Turning corners required slipping one of the rear tires.

19. Just right click on it and select add to dictionary.

I got no idea how you would do that with a mac or a phone though.

20. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I would agree with this. And "Powertrain" is everything from the engine to the axles and everything in between.

loudbang likes this.
  21. LOL that is not so old time, I still know guys that weld 'em up. Real common with the short track guys and the low budget street racers around here. The next step up is a spool, still cheaper than a locker. Lot of low budget guys around here.

I cannot remember the difference in branding but some companies ( IE GM, Ford etc) called a positrac a limited slip and others called them a positrac.

loudbang, oldsjoe and Blues4U like this.
  22. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

How about "peel out"? Or "double clutch"? Or "heel and toe shifting"? Or "blip the throttle".

OahuEli, loudbang and Montana1 like this.
  23. Ergonomics? What the hell does the science of body comfort have to do with anything?

My part of So Cal wet sanding was it until the 70's when we started to also say Color Sand, as in "Time to Color Sand Buff". And 600 was the Fine stuff, showed you were serious - now days we start with 800, and on my RPU I went to 2000, the guy helping me said he had 3000, felt like notebook paper. LOL

loudbang likes this.
  24. Add to that cutting a cats ass, which is about the same as doing a donut. Or wing the throttle.

Double clutch comes from a time when transmissions had no syncros, which on big rigs is the not so distant past.

I have been known to talk about dwell angle in ignition, I have 3 dwell meters and they are all measured in degrees. :D I am more of an engine guy than an ignition guy, if I have questions I have a PM feature and you above all know that I am not afraid to use it. ;)

I think on the newer ignitions, dwell time is what is commonly used. it takes X milliseconds to saturate Y coil. On a points ignition that time was measured in degrees of rotation in place of time at least that was how I learned it.

Wet sanding is still my go to phrase, when someone says color sand I know what they are talking about but I am a kind of a luddite.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    loudbang and oldsjoe like this.
  25. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Haha! I was wondering the same thing...

26. Driving through the city could be a real workout, especially with heavy duty springs.

loudbang likes this.
  27. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After hearing dizzy for quite a while I've slowly moved to other country's terminology but (and there always is one) the word "nil" used any where but soccer is just shit out of someone's mouth. I listen to baseball on the radio in my shop and am starting to hear "nil" in the scoring. Damn give me a break. Please leave something USA born and bread alone.

loudbang likes this.
  28. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

We'd say a bike was "pipey" if it needed to run at very high RPM

loudbang and Blues4U like this.
  29. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

If you got too much gas and it wouldn't rev out we'd said it was loaded up. Holding the throttle wide open for a while would usually clean it out.

loudbang likes this.
  30. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Cutting a cat's ass is a new on on me.

Nowadays with automated manual trans they don't clutch at all. Eh, in the old days a clutch was really only for starting and stopping anyway. I held a commercial license for about 20 years and finally let it go when I had to get my medical card renewed and didn't have time before renewing my license. I figured I would never need it again anyway. But once rolling I didn't use the clutch, just ease off the throttle and pop it out of gear then ease back on the throttle till is slipped into the next one. Sure, you grind a few gears at first, but you get the hang of it. I drove my Muncie 4 speed the same way.