Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Chopped tops . . . . .

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pete Eastwood, Feb 8, 2017.

1. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Fuck it. It's about the individual and his or hers expression. Perfect? Correct? In the eye of the beholder. Bottom line........ build what works for YOU and fuck every body else.........

But honestly, a GOOD chop will only be good on the flat land......

Ron Funkhouser and rudestude like this.
  2. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

Said perfectly!!!!!

3. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

IMG_2052.JPG This is one of my favorite model 40's I have ever seen and I plan to recreate it at some point in my life. You can't tell me that if a kid could have gotten away with driving this every day on the street he wouldn't have. That way he could drive it to the lakes to race it on the weekend. Same reason they pulled fenders off once they got to the lakes. I have seen so many heavily chopped early pics. They were always trying to get around the law. My grandpa had numerous chopped hot rods. He said he never went lower then the size of a dollar bill because of the cops. He always wanted to though. As he got older his taste changed and it wasn't as fitting for him. My dads era was hassled a lot too. so he was ingrained with better be careful so you don't get hassled. Then my era comes along and their isn't a lot of us anymore seems to be dying out with the younger generation. And the cops don't care they love it. So we are finally getting to drive what that kid in the forties always wanted to drive to the lakes to race. Now I know that's not everyone but a lot of them just wanted to go fast and look cool doing it. A lot of them lost there licenses doing it as well. If we all did 3" chops it would be pretty dull around here.

4. Digger427

Digger427

Looks perfect to me!

Splitbudaba likes this.
  5. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

I agree with everyone that you chop it to your likes, not everyone else, just like building a Rod. I bought a '40 Sedan already chopped, I don't know how much it was chopped as did the guy I bought it from. I like it, many others have said the same as I felt. Of course there are those.... I measured the middle of the drivers door window and it measures about 8", I measured the door on my stock height sedan and it measures 12", so I'm guessing around a 4" chop on my sedan. Whatever it is, I like it.... mix 72415 004.JPG

6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most big American classics from about 33 through 37 have a look that hot rodders and customizers admire. If you analyze the proportions and take just a bit more out (like for 'hat clearance) you nail it. Try and you'll see what I mean. Look at Packard, Cadillac, big Buick models, and remember that through the early 60s there was always about 1 1/2 to 2 inches added so men could wear their hats while driving, otherwise designers who had the 'spirit" would have sent them out chopped to perfection.

falcongeorge likes this.
  7. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Yeah there is, finishing a chop and saying "I went too far"....

hotroddon and cretin like this.
  8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have thought this for decades. Very astute observation Highlander.

9. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Hi Pete, I have owned the Stan VanAmburg 26 ford coupe for the last 21 years with a windshield height of 7inches. I don't know who chopped the top but you built a beautiful 32 frame for it. To me this is a great chop for THIS CAR. So beauty is in the eye of the beholder. One day I hope to learn to post pics on the HAMB. The coupe was featured in the July '85 issue of ROD ACTION mag. Thanks for this thread and a lot of us would like to hear more from you. Thanks again,John Fink aka 26hotrod.........

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. Is this the coupe with 2 60s Chevy pickup roofline turned into a roof?

11. hammerd 31

hammerd 31

I like what runnin shine said in his build thread about street rod chops and hot rod chops...I prefer the attitude of a hard chop myself, the gentleman chop ..come on guys you no what being a nice guy got ya...to each his own :p

12. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A stagnant project with a 4 inch chop. I like the Chrisman coupe but just not a practical street car. This is my compromise. 343.JPG

Stogy and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  13. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Tman that is the coupe and they did a great job. At 6ft. I had to lower the seat and have enjoyed it for the last 20yrs.................

14. 3,1/2'' chop
    [​IMG]
    4,1/2"front -4'' rear
    [​IMG]
    5,1/2 chop
    [​IMG]

Stogy, Ron Funkhouser and edcodesign like this.
  15. Pete

Pete

Ok, so you've peaked my interst with this pic...I like it and want to see more.

Stogy likes this.
  16. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well Pete, not much to show. Sitting on the table getting ignored for awhile. I have to get it resquared after moving it as some idiot didn't brace it first. I hope to get back on it later this year if all goes well. Too much project ADD going on right now. By the time I get back to it I will end redoing a few things I didn't like the first time. 14695514_969985793113794_5245735961221156941_n.jpg 344.JPG 345.JPG

17. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

'beaner said it "looked like" Big Al, because it is. Nothing stupid or illegal about that car.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  18. phat rat

phat rat

19. phat rat

phat rat

As you can see the driver sat in back and his head stuck up above the roof

20. phat rat

phat rat

A couple of more shots of Big Al

[​IMG]

Stogy and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  21. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

For me, there is no easy answer to this. I looked a long time for a nice, unchopped A coupe. Then one day I "digitally" chopped it -- then couldn't stop looking at it. I never did chop it, but hard to argue with that first pic.

Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 10.58.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 11.02.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 10.58.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 11.00.58 AM.png

22. Just a bump, to see some more butchered old cars.:rolleyes: 067.jpg

scott27, Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  23. lilmann

lilmann

I 100% agree!

I’m not talented enough and lack the shop space to chop anything....so after looking and looking and studying and studying I noticed the same detail. I purchased this one from a fellow Hamb member because of his layout of the back portion of the fifth window(s). I saw to often the back would almost square off or be straight instead of being round. Gary did an awesome job!

IMG_1437.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. Ron,
    Does this look like our old buddy Moose?

[​IMG]

Ron Funkhouser and kidcampbell71 like this.
  25. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I like pork chops. :D

26. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

It is always individual taste. Tradition is give and take. Wether chopping, old school suspension/steering or bias versus radial.

27. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Ron Funkhouser, RICH B and Stogy like this.
  28. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

This made me laugh. Its at least 1/2 true!

I think some cars look great with a heavy chop, but as far as customs go, a proportional roof is much better than an over chopped shitbox. There are a few builders out there that get the roofline right but not the window openings, or they get 1 in 5 chops "right". There are enough cars out there....
    If you want a car done right, find someone with a good eye that's chopped more than model A's.

lurker mick likes this.
  29. Neat, as many times I looked at your car, I don't know if I even realized it was chopped. Must be a sign of a well planned custom.

Moriarity likes this.