Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Terminology

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porknbeaner, Mar 21, 2017.

1. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Around here if something is sick it means it won't run worth a shit or won't get out of its own way.

2. By the time I began building engines on my own (late '60s) a 3/4 race cam was just a healthy cam of unknown pedigree. Most of us were reading the specs and judging from there.

The one that throws me off and I don't recall which cam grinder marketed it was a 3/8 cam. it was actually a pretty healthy cam and I'll just about bet that it was originally called a 3-8 cam because of lobe configuration then morphed into 3/8.

I often refer to an engine block as a crank case, which is not correct. I think most people know what I am talking about. An offy engine has a crankcase, and separate cylinder block. A small block chevy for example does not actually have a crank case unless you consider the area below the cylinders to be the crank case.

Mill, if I say a mill you have to get what I am saying out of context. I try to not use it but it happens. A mill is a machine not an engine but sometimes I screw that one up. :oops:

LOU WELLS, kbgreen, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  3. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Miami Fla. for were; Time it hotter= advance it. Its washing out= too rich on gas.

4. jchav62

jchav62

How about:

Does it have a posi in it? Or a limited slip. :)

5. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

Yea the ergonomics these days lol (that's sick.) Lol oh man I wish I could had been there to see that reaction of yours hahah. It means (it's/thats boss) in you guys language

Sent from my Z981 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and henryj1951 like this.
  6. Fordors

Fordors

"He put a different third member in it". I know what they mean but always wondered about the origin of the saying. Probably another one of those regional things.
    Also this one- "He put another pig in his car". OK, did he change the third member, or did he pick up an easy girl from school?

7. Here it means meth or crack.LOL

cam follower, if I say that in a conversation I am talking about roller lifters and not flat tappets. valve lash is interchangeable with gap and only pertains to solids.

I have a tendency to say bearings when I mean inserts on a crank shaft or the insert for a camshaft.

When I am talking quench I am talking about the distance between the top of the piston and the face of the head. All pistons domed or dished have a flat area around the outside above the rings that is flat and quench is measured from there.

Dwell time, I am not talking about distributers, I am talking about the time that the piston remains at the top of the stroke normally. it is the amount of time that it takes the piston to transition from up to down in the stroke. longer rods produce a longer dwell time generally speaking.

This is a guess but I think it comes from the 3 main pieces of the drive train, engine transmission and 3rd member.

I usually call it a chuck.

I call a bell housing or what would be the bell housing a hogs head, but some guys call a chuck a hogs head. :D

8. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

I have heard a rev limiter referred to as a "BURP BOX". Anyone else? Joe

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  9. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Won't Crank?
    Is that when you tried to "Kick it in the Guts"

10. All that matters is that One knows what They are talking about and can explain it.
    If y'all want to call things the wrong names I can't help that and neither can anyone else.
    The technical terminology used for timing is "advance" and "retard", it's found in every text book ever published about engines.

The redefining of the English language really pisses me off.
    Bad, sick & wicked some how mean "Good" now- It's fucking asinine.
    "Gnaw, I'm good" somehow means "no thank-you" now.
    - Would you like a cookie?
    - Gnaw I'm good.
    - im glad you're good, but I asked you if you would like a cookie, not how you are doing.

My car won't cut on, really ? I've never cut anything "on". My car won't cut off, really my car won't cut worth a shit either but I have a saw that cuts quite well. Would you like to use it? Gnaw I'm good! Son of a bitch

11. Ignition Dwell refers to the time measured in milliseconds ( actual time) it takes for the coil to reach full saturation. Is the same time no matter the Rpm. Ignition dwell angle is measurement of degrees if cam rotation that the points stay (dwell) in position.

Piston dwell is not measured in time, it's measured in degrees of crank rotation. Time being Millisecond or hours doesn't apply here. How "long" the piston dwells at TDC varies based on rpm however it is alway the same number of crank degrees

LOU WELLS, kbgreen, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  12. dfriend

dfriend
    from B.C.canada

Hi
    What about engine and motor.
    Or jugs on a crankcase.

loudbang likes this.
  13. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I thought the word was "Chunk".

loudbang and Hnstray like this.
  14. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

I felt the need for a dose of stupid recently, so I tuned in to a rerun of Fast 'n Loud where one of the dimwits was explaining how a 6-71 blower has a "pair of turbines" inside that force more air into the engine.

15. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I love it when someone asks what motor I have in my car. I tell them heater motor.

LOU WELLS, loudbang and jimmy six like this.
  16. The purpose of the thread is because some of us didn't learn mechanics from a book we have all come from different places.

As far as language goes it is constantly morphing. it gets changed by usage and they change the dictionaries to reflect that. a prime example is fag. my first remembrance of fag was a cigarette, but before that fag meant out of breath, or all fagged out. perhaps that is where cigarette comes in. Since then it has come to be a derogatory term for a homosexual. it may have changed again since then.

There is a lot of slang in mechanics, a cam is not a cam at all it is a cam shaft. a piston is not a slug, and lead (pronounced leed) and lag is very old mechanics before the newer books were ever written.

I may say that his car stands up and "cuts" a straight line, very old west coast drag racing terminology, it means that it is not all over the track. Something that old drag racers tried to prefect.

if I say that a switch is open or closed I am saying the same thing as on or off.

its all just a way to help us understand each other and its fun, some of our way of saying things is pretty fuckin funny. Fuck now there is an interesting word. The Puritans used it to say that they were planting seed. :)

There ya go. The purpose of the thread. ;) I have heard it both ways and chuck just stuck with me.

@dfriend jugs on a crank case would be more motorcycle terminology. (I guess motorcycle comes from when they were all electric :rolleyes: ) most of the engines or motors if you will that we fool with don't have removable cylinders or jugs.

17. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Paul Fussell, in his book Wartime!, wrote about how war degrades civil society and morals and the rest of it. He wasn't speaking from an ivory tower, he was a combat veteran. Anyway he noted that language also suffers, and everybody started swearing, even women. The F word was kind of unique in that it could be used as a noun, or a verb, or adjective, sometimes all in one sentence. He overheard some Brit airplane mechanics working on an engine and one of them snapped or broke off some part, and the mechanic exclaimed

"Fuck!! The fucking fuckers fucking fucked!" (and everybody knew what he meant)

LOU WELLS, OahuEli, pat59 and 3 others like this.
  18. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

They have "Slugs", though.

loudbang likes this.
  19. Actually there is a piston company that machines all of its slugs from slugs. :D

loudbang and old crank like this.
  20. 48stude

48stude

I worked as a millwright for 46 yrs in a steel mill. As time wore on I realized that my vocabulary had been reduced to a few words that could be inserted into a sentence where ever you wanted. So I can really relate. Bill

21. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

mo·tor
    ˈmōdər/
    noun
    noun: motor; plural noun: motors
    1. 1.
      a machine, especially one powered by electricity or internal combustion, that supplies motive power for a vehicle or for some other device with moving parts.
      • a source of power, energy, or motive force.
        "hormones are the motor of the sexual functions"
    adjective
    adjective: motor
    1. 1.
      giving, imparting, or producing motion or action.
      "demand is the principle motor force governing economic activity"
      • PHYSIOLOGY
        relating to muscular movement or the nerves activating it.
        "the motor functions of each hand"
    2. 2.
      BRITISH
      driven by a motor.
      • relating to motor vehicles.
        "a dominant figure in the world of motor sports"
    verb
    informal
    verb: motor; 3rd person present: motors; past tense: motored; past participle: motored; gerund or present participle: motoring
    1. 1.
      travel in a motor vehicle, typically a car or a boat.
      "we motored along a narrow road"
      • run or move as fast as possible.
        "he had motored along to second base on a passed ball"
    Origin
    upload_2017-3-21_17-6-6.png
    late Middle English (denoting a person who imparts motion): from Latin, literally ‘mover,’ based on movere ‘to move.’ The current sense of the noun dates from the mid 19th century.

LOU WELLS, kbgreen, Blues4U and 2 others like this.
  22. I worked for a while (on and off for 3 years) in a custom butcher (slaughter house).my boss had been in the navy during Korea, and he always said that I could make a sailor blush.

I have been known to use the terms, pinging, spark knock and spark rattle interchangeably. Some guys say detonation, and all of that can be translated into pre-detonation. Just for shits and giggles detonation is something that we all really would like to achieve the mix must detonate if our motors are going to run. We would all like to not have pre-detonation.

I haven't used the term in quite some time but I have been known to call an engine peaky. Means narrow power band.

LOU WELLS and loudbang like this.
  23. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

The only reference I ever heard to a 3/8 cam was the use on a 3/8 mile circle track as opposed to a 1/2 mile.

I'm from the 'Bad & Wicked' generation, but not 'Sick'. When we said bad or wicked it was usually in reference to a car that was extremely fast and possibly ill handling. Bad has now become 'Bad Ass' and 'Mother' is half a word.

24. Easy..Half race..You race two weekends out of the month.
    3/4 race ,three weekends..
    Full race ..UR, I mean you are a professional!

loudbang and gas & guns like this.
  25. Smitty's32

Smitty's32

Post cars. Post what, post war? Chained to a post? The mailman's old car? AAHHH, I get it now, they mean a sedan as opposed to a hardtop.

26. I'm guessing from my years in Ga., " won't crank " or "won't crank up " is actually short for "won't start up with a crank"..If you don't understand that...Wrong forum.
    Probably hold up for another 100 years. LOL

loudbang and Montana1 like this.
  27. slowmotion

slowmotion

Here's one for all you dirt-burners (dirt track oval fans/racers) out there.
    Needs more gear.
    Too much gear.
    Take some gear out of it.
    Put some gear in it.
    The look on the faces of the un-initiated is entertaining. :eek::D

Speedwrench and loudbang like this.
  28. Love that one!
    I asked a kid about that one time.I said "what's the difference?" He says "one wheel will spin on a limited slip" ??????

loudbang likes this.
  29. I use the terms rich and lean when we're going to turn a screw to adjust it.
    I'll use it the words it needs fattened or is too fat when we're going to be changing jets or rods or other carb internals.

The engine/motor thing has 1000 or more examples where the guy who claims motors are electric needs to rebut, we can burry you with them. Now here's the funny thing about it. The guy who only allows electric motors and IC engines- well stick a 6-71 blower on his engine and he's going to tell you he's got a blower motor. Switch just like that.

Tell me you need more spark lead or ignition lead and I'll get you more of this.
    image.png

image.png

Give it more timing or pull some timing out would be advance it more from its current position or retard it back from its current position - respectively.

loudbang and SEAAIRE354 like this.
  30. Larry T

Larry T

Yea, I got my first paying job in an auto tune up shop in 1965, I've run my own shop since 1978. I always had customers that don't know the difference in turn over/won't start and won't turn over. Both of them are "Won't crank" and that's where the hook comes in. I don't see that changing in the next 100 years either.

loudbang and INVISIBLEKID like this.