Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical IS THERE A AEROSTAR TYPE SPRING FOR 49-54 CHEVY

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Atomic Kustom, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Atomic Kustom

Atomic Kustom

I have searched several different way but haven't come up with anything, can anyone HELP? I was just wondering if there was a replacement spring that will lower my 1950 Chevy coupe like the way the Aerostar springs work in the 49-51 Fords. The car is still running the 216 with torque tube rearend witch I installed 3'' block in. I know several places sell lowered coil springs for them but was looking for other options.

2. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You could measure the thickness of the coil and the distance across. Would be even better if you had one out and could measure the height. Then a trip to your local parts store and look through their catalogue for one that is shorter.

3. 270ci

270ci

You can cut a coil and a half off your stock springs and install a pair of Fatman's "lowered uprights" (kinda like lowered spindles) to get down there as well. With only one and a half coils cut, it still has a decent ride.

4. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

You might want to look at a spring company like Eibach. They will likely have a coil spring on the shelf that will maintain the original spring rate, but be shorter then the stock springs. This will lower the car, but still give you a nice factory ride.

http://eibach.com/america/

5. I agree...you need a modern non-linear spring which will lower plus give a better ride. There are spring charts available from Moog as well.

I think if you measured and posted specs for your present spring, many here would help find a candidate spring to use.
    You need to establish inside diameter, height, load weight. Thickness is not really important. if you get both inside and outside diameter. Idea is to get a new one which fits the pocket, is shorter, and has characteristics which give a smooth ride, i.e. non-linear.

Another thought if it meets your principals and can find a vendor - buy a replacement spring for your car, measure it, return it. Best if you were up front with the vendor.

6. There is a Moog PDF document online, about 11 or 12 pages with a shipload of springs and data in it. Match up your spring OD and spring ends first, then look at spring rates, free height and so on. You should be able to find something that works.

7. -kustom-

-kustom-
    from Finland

I searched spring gatalogs anf found Saab 900 turbo rearsprings( don't know how easily you find them on your country) that worked great for me as front springs on my ex -51. See picture
    [​IMG]

8. Atomic Kustom,
    If you are going to do this lowering job, compare the specs of the 1950 spring to others in a auto parts spring catalog, not online.
    I tend to always use my collection of GM info, when giving info to folks.
    Here's the actual GM info, for the 1950 Chevy( except convertible), as written in my 1950 Chevy info.
    Material = Chrome Alloy Steel.
    Gauge = .556 to .590.
    Number of Coils = 10.8.
    Diameter = 4.390.
    Pitch = 3.796.
    Height FREE = 14".
    Height Working = 9 5/8 ".
    Height With Curb Weight = 10".
    Spring Capacity = 1060 lbs.
    Now, if you go to the Auto Parts Catalog and buy springs, based on the above information, come back here and let us know what springs you purchased.
    Another choice is to call Eaton Spring, in the Detroit area.
    Eaton has been making springs for a long time.
    Eaton Spring can create a spring for you ...... but you may need the above info. to give them.
    Let us know what you do.

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  9. 270ci

270ci

If you do find 3" shorter springs with comparable spring rate specs to your stock springs, just be aware that when installing them, you will be trading 3" of your suspension travel to lower it. Even after cutting back your bump stops to avoid (but not prevent) bottoming out, you will miss a significant portion that of that 3" travel!

On the other hand, by using lowered uprights, (see link below) you'll go down 2" with them alone and then cutting one to one and a half coils will get you down where you want to be with a minimum of suspension travel loss and better ride. Just saying.

http://www.fatmanfab.com/product/1949-1954-chevy-dropped-uprights

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  10. There is. I found the info here on the #hamb and used it on my 51 Chevy. Use a moog 8542 spring. I believe it is for a mustang 2. I cut a half coil off and put them in with shorter shocks. Here is a link to the thread.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/tips-on-lowering-49-54-chevy.825323/

It worked great and drives and rides a thousand times better. Best of all I did it for about 120 bucks! Here is how it sits with new springs. 20170219_163231.jpg

11. Atomic Kustom

Atomic Kustom

Bobg thanks I was having a hard time finding the specs for the stock 50 Chevy spring to do any cross reference on. Jason thanks also, I knew I had seen something on it but could not find the thread. Your 51 looks great.

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  12. All good options I think. I went the cut coil way, but it would be nice to utilize an uncut - shorter spring to facilitate the best ride possible.
    Nailhead Jason, do you recall which shock you settled on?

Dave

13. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Eaton Spring Co

14. -kustom-

-kustom-
    from Finland

Someone asked about shocks. Volvo 122S (amazon in europe) front shocks fit without modifications (as did those Saab springs also).

15. Dave, I used Monroe 555001, I also replaced the lower shock brackets at the same time. If you cut the coils and use the stock shocks, or use the Moog 8542 springs and the stock shocks, the OG shocks are now to long. The weak link is the lower shock brackets that bolt to the lower control arm. The will break right out and then you have no shock at all.
    The Monroe 555001 are some kind of RV shock and really where the perfect length. I also changed out the bump stops for some extra protection. My 51 Drives unbelievably better than before. I had considered swapping the suspension out for a mustang II setup, but after swapping the springs and coils, I am just fine with the stock stuff. I already swapped the rear suspension for a Chassis Engineering rear spring kit when I swapped the axle. Between the rear set up and the new springs and shock it drives great and handles better than I could have hopped for.

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  16. rodncustomdreams likes this.
  17. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

IMG_0416.JPG I am running Moog 8558 front springs and have stepped lower control arms. I had been running worn out stocks with 1.5 coils cut. The 8558's are the exact same height as the old cut coils and ride WAY better. They were only $36 to my door from RockAuto.

18. Squablow

Squablow

I also heard that using 53-54 Chevy spindles in a 49-52 gives about a 3/4" lowering due to the design of the later spindles. Not sure if that's true or not but might be worth looking into on a junkyard budget.

19. It's not the spindles it's the uprights. The have the spindles 3/4 inch higher on the uprights.

chop_shop_syndicate and Squablow like this.
  20. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Fantastic looking hardtop DL49, do you happen to recall which shocks you ended up using?

21. I’m not sure it they are still available or not but, when I lowered the front of my ‘54, back in 1998, I ordered dropped uprights and dropped coils from Fatman Fab. I had to give them all of the information on the car, ie. engine/trans, a/c vs. non a/c. I think the coils and uprights ran about $500, which I thought was pretty reasonable.
    At any rate, custom wound coils might be an option for you. IMG_8022.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.