Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Buying A Dream

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 20, 2017.

1. deuceman32

deuceman32

And some guy named Floyd had a 40/41 push truck. Probably more towards hysteric.
    upload_2017-3-20_14-38-25.png

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'd hold out for the 40-41 you like or make the jump to a 1956. Bob

Tman likes this.
  3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I agree, six months after you buy a early fifties F1, the right '40-'41 will show up. I have a couple cars that were close to the car I really wanted, big mistake. The passion just isn't there, as time passed I got stuff that was higher on the list, and those "almost" cars keep getting pushed down the list. Hold out for what you really want, with the amount of time and effort you put into a project, it had better be something that really lights your fire, or you will never really be happy about it, and better stuff will come along.
    Life is too short to spend it building projects you "almost" love.

4. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Stat with the dream. With your connections a 40-41 will show up eventually. Don't get your funds tied up in a truck that you just think is OK...

falcongeorge likes this.
  5. Dodge Brother

Dodge Brother

Ryan
    I agree with Speedy Canuck. Come up here and grab a 51-52 But just make sure it's a Mercury! May not be many of them in Texas!

Speedy Canuck likes this.
  6. JJK

JJK

Isn't the front sheet metal from a 46-47 truck interchangeable with a 40-41?

Squablow likes this.
  7. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Stick with your dream Ryan. You will find one....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I prefer a simplistic approach

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ryan, if you want a 40/41 truck, you will find one. Any other truck would be a substitute, I guess . I was in that very same boat ( not Disney´s hahahaha) when Fabien´s 34 showed up for sale. I was in love with the car since I saw it in mags back in the late 90s , early 2000s, and I knew I had to have it when I saw the add. It was way too pricey for me and it was not easy to get thing arranged , but where´s a will there´s a way. It didn´t sell and I stayed in touch until the price got in range for me.
    And I´m sure somewhere in North America is an old Hot Rodder with no internet access wondering who would be a good caretaker for his pristine 40 truck he had been taking care of for the last 50 years....and that would be you.

The37Kid likes this.
  9. agshelby

agshelby

The cab is close (46-47 have the tank under the seat and a few more differences). The frame, bed, suspension, etc. are all different. Take a look at the side profile of a 42-47 truck. The cab on the later models sits up about 6" above the running boards and there is a sheet metal apron between the running boards and the cab, while on a 40 the door is really close to the running boards and there is no apron.

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I love 40/41 pickups obviously. They are my favorite pickups of all time... But I am 6'2" and know fitting in one is a challenge... and I really do like the idea of having a bed that is 3" wider just to carry full sized sheets of plywood with the tailgate down.

62hotcat, spurgeonforge and Sancho like this.
  11. pigfluxer

pigfluxer

Big fan of the '48-'52 trucks, the early trucks were good looking. You didn't marry the prom queen ,you married the chick from band camp she was a better fit and more fun to live life with.

12. metalman

metalman

No dought 40/41 Ford pick ups are hot right now, did real well when I sold my 40. Enough that even thou I didn't need another project when I found a bargain for a rust free and straight 41 I HAD to buy it, admittedly just to finish and flip. Now not so sure I'll want to let it go, they are getting hard to find.
    I understand where Ryan is coming from thou, I too think 40's are the best looking truck built after owning one at 6'4" a little bigger is enticing. Seen a few 49/52s running around, done right they are growing on me. Still, cool trucks but not a 40.....

13. sololobo

sololobo

never met a truck I didn't like, and I love my 66 Chevy truck

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  14. Sending you a PM on a 40/41....

falcongeorge likes this.
  15. I'm 6' 6" and have owned 4 '40-'41's , my desire for my favorite Ford p/u overrides any lack of space (although, also owning a '71 Corvette, maybe I'm just a glutton for discomfort).
    I believe you won't be satisfied until you find your own '40-'41.
    Good luck in your search.

16. Dumb questions maybe. What is the profile difference between 40/41 truck doors versus coupe/sedan ? 2. Has anyone stretched a cab slightly yet ? No I don't mean an extended cab with a stupid window either. 3. You do have Keith Tardel there. Sooooo' what's the dealio, yo ? You're the solution guy. El Capitan. Optimus HAMBus. The King has no clothes ? Take us to Disney World. Epcot this b#tch. Tis' the HAMB dammit ' ! 40/41. !! Doooo' 'eet.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  17. what did you do to deserve that $5000 dollar fine and 7 days incarceration? F-them floating petrie dish bore fest with 2500 of your closest strangers. yes keep thinking of old pickups that will keep you sane.
    you can't go wrong with those early fifties fords.

The37Kid likes this.
  18. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

Mine of 30 years,we do everything together,my daily driver,owned it since i was 14.F100 4 speed about a 1981 model, a nine inch mid 60,s which was a bolt in with 3.5 gears and always ran flatheads,In the middle of her fourth heart transplant,getting a new engine and a special one and some love she deserves.its chopped three inches and comfortable,the paint was a tribute to all those classy push trucks and race teams that ran bonneville in the 50,s.I have the race car now,just gotta get the balls to paint it to match. 100_1107.JPG Johnny

charleyw, falcongeorge and JUNK ROD like this.
  19. Otto

Otto

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  20. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

G,N.R.S.  Jan 26,2013 - Pomona 009 (Small).jpg SAM_1376 (640x480).jpg

21. funny.....we were seniors in high school - Tom in his 51 Ford PU....Butch in his grandpa's 53 Ford PU and me with that odd ball Studebaker PU....sadly Tom would buy it on that curve I pass daily - in 1974....there were a few 51/52's around later on.....just never have forgot Tom not making it to the prom with us.....
    Been many a good deal on 40/41's around here....you got to be ready to jump....to many flippers now days....does make for some good TV though......

22. Slick bastard

Slick bastard

There is a nice original 41 truck on eBay in California just has a flat bed on it but that's an easy fix buy now 10,500

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

image.jpeg I know you said you rather the later f1's . I do too, but my buddy recently picked up a 49. Heres a shot of it after i got done putting a 3" drop axle and new springs in the rear. This one kinda has me re-evaluating my preference for the later f1's.

24. Baron Von Bub

Baron Von Bub
    from koolsville

25. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

I have a lead for a 41 ford for sale $12,000.00 The shop owner is not into old cars much, a customer brought it in for some work and could not pay the bill ,it sat in his shop 2 years so a Mechanic's lien was filed now he has a title to sell it,I asked him to make it a shop truck but not interested he has to many vehicles in his inventory , the price is what the bill is for.

26. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Next thing you know you'll have a hankering for a old John Deere tractor and a piece of land . I hear the Green Acres theme playing in the background. My granddad had a 1946 2 ton Ford truck . I was fascinated by it as a kid . The quiet purring of the flathead V8 .
    Ryan . I hope you find your dream truck . Now go have a shot with Goofy .

27. jroberts

jroberts

I understand the argument against settling for second choice. I made the mistake (well sort of a mistake) when I sold my 1950 2R6 Studebaker pickup. I loved that truck and was enamored with its 246 cu. in. Commander six, but the cab is small front to back and the truck in my avatar came up for sale. The Studebaker Champ cab is basically the front seat section of a four door '59-'60 Lark. My truck has the R1 V-8 which also drew my attention. It runs great, has the long narrow step side bed which is unique and I get lots of positive comments about it. Still it is not the old 2R6.......
    My advice is get what you really want and stick with it.

28. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

When my father graduated from a very small high school on 1945 he had drawn a bunch of cartoons for the yearbook. They graduated early as he and most other boys graduating were leaving for boot camp.
    A classmate showed her yearbook to her uncle, who called Dad to offer him a job. The uncle was Walt
    Disney, no Dad went into the service, served as part of the army of occupation in Japan. He passed about a month ago, but instilled my love of trucks etc in me.

29. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca