Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1956 Customline

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by RacerJoe, Mar 20, 2017.

1. RacerJoe

RacerJoe

I have been a quiet stalker/learner of this site for a year now and quite impressed. I'm past the halfway point on my custom 1956 Ford Customline. I will gladly share details/pictures/modifications soon but I'm wondering if anyone can help me identify this part. This one escaped the labeled baggy and has been blasted and primed. I want to finish painting it the right color, just as soon as I remember where it goes. There are slotted holes for a 1/4" bolt and it's about 6" long. It's quite the sturdy piece at about 3/32" thickness. Any idea where this goes?

Attached Files:

2. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

could be a fender brace

3. RacerJoe

RacerJoe

Thank you for the reply. Well there was only one on the car and I can't think of any area where it would fit. I've mocked up the front clip and didn't have any extra 1/4" holes.

4. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

maybe under the dash brace if holes are 1\4... throw it away and sooner than later you will know where it belongs:cool:

5. RacerJoe

RacerJoe

That's a real possibility as the dash and interior are currently removed. I've looked around but can't seem to figure out where it might go as it looks pretty beefy compared to everything else under there.

6. jeepsterhemi

jeepsterhemi

Don't remember this exact piece but too heavy guage for an interior part in my opinion, maybe an exhaust or trans bracket of some sort......

7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All Ford parts I have on mine have a part number stamped on them. Think 1956, no bar code, a stamping. I have a 56 manual with nearly every number and location. The paint and primer may have filled it in..

8. RacerJoe

RacerJoe

Thank you for the reply. I agree that it's too heavy duty for the dash. The car has a 302, C6, 9", headers, etc. So this part is not something I modified along the way but rather from the original car. I have subsequently converted it to a Mustang II front suspension and can't imagine it involved with that either.

9. jeepsterhemi

jeepsterhemi

Due to the bolt holes beeing 90 degrees apart, it looks like a support bracket between the engine and the bellhousing at the transmission flange (to help support on the starter side)..........I got one on my Slant six/ 4 speed setup......

10. RacerJoe

RacerJoe

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately it's not the case as the engine/trans have been replaced prior to disassembly of the car. The C6 trans has upper and lower bolt holes for the starter that are sufficient.

11. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

If you will join the 52-59 Ford social group and post your question I'll bet someone can help. I'm a member and have a 56 Victoria but I don't recognize that part.
    Good luck

12. IIRC, that's a brace for the clutch/brake pedal box, should go between the pedal box and the firewall....

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  13. RacerJoe

RacerJoe

Thank you for the reply. Would there be any chance you had a picture or drawing showing some details?

14. The service manual doesn't have enough detail, you'll have to find a parts book. It's been a lot of years since I worked on one of these, but I recall a brace from the pedal box to the firewall (? or to the dash?) that looked the same or very similar.

The reason I remember it is because it was unexpected and had to be disconnected to remove the pedal assembly....

15. clcrown

clcrown

The part is a bumper bracket,should be two of them

16. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I first thought that but I just had both my bumpers off for chroming and I did not have anything that matched it. There are added pieces at both the front and rear of mine that are semi flat and much heavier also the outer front are not like that at all, neither are the ones at the rear around the exhaust. Hey, I could still be wrong and often am.

17. websters restylin'

websters restylin'
    from okc

Crazy steve is right. There is a nut made into the inside of the firewall that this bolts to and drops down to the pedal assembly. With dash out it should be easy to line up figure out

18. I'm inclined to go with this as well. The part looks familiar and my '59 was taken down to the bare bones.

19. clcrown

clcrown

I looked at my 56 crown vic and Webster restyling is correct

20. RacerJoe

RacerJoe

I never did figure out where that part belonged but I did finish it in time for the World of Wheels car show in Chicago this past weekend. I’m happy that after nearly three years of work, the car won second place in our category. A few more mods, then it’s for sale....

Attached Files:

Dangerousdan and jeepsterhemi like this.
  21. That may be a radio brace that goes under the dash.

22. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not the radio braces. I just had mine out. They are flat.

23. manyolcars

manyolcars

It looks like the brace for the front of the starter

24. RacerJoe

RacerJoe

25. BJR

BJR

Yea, but you still have one part left over.:eek::p

26. 49toad

49toad

I have the same model. Been working on it on and off for twenty years. That is a beautiful car you have. Why on earth would you want to sell it.. You should get in it and drive the wheels off of it. Just my opinion.

27. RacerJoe

RacerJoe

Too damn funny! Well I certainly added a LOT of extras to account for that strange bracket.

This started out as a father/son project to buy, build and flip. I really wanted my son to get knowledge on every single system on a car. Our budget was $20k and 12 weeks. Ended up spending over $60 on parts and took 3 years. Cost me a torn bicep and shoulder surgery and almost ruined the father/son relationship. I am a perfectionist and this car fought us all the way. We replaced every nut, bolt, screw, washer, rubber, glass, etc. the only parts from 1956 is the sheet metal. I hope whoever gets this car, drives it 200,000 miles. I built it to last another 60 years!

49toad likes this.
  28. RacerJoe

RacerJoe

I finally sold the car
    to a nice gentleman in West Texas. Now I have a bunch of parts leftover and wonder if anyone here might have some interest. Not looking to make a profit, just a fair offer. Everything is from my 56 Customline, except the rear window from a 57 Chevy convertible and a couple hubcaps from my 64 Galaxie. If this is not the correct thread, I apologize. If there’s any interest, let me know.

Attached Files:

jeepsterhemi likes this.