Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Remote reservoir for stock master cylinder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55willys, Jan 5, 2017.

1. 55willys

55willys

This all started when I got a 55 Willys wagon. I learned right away that the master cylinder was near impossible to fill from the top and you can't see how much is in it when filling from the bottom without a mirror. I wanted to put a remote reservoir on to it to make it easier to fill. The choices I found were either billet aluminum or plastic and that looks completely out of place under the hood of a vintage car.

I have built many hot rods professionally and run into the same problem of hard to access master cylinders under the floor. For the Willys I got an FC170 (Forward Control) master cylinder cap as these cab over trucks had a remote reservoir mounted to the dash. The first thing I saw was that the fitting was recessed into the cap and held lots of debris around the threads. I also needed a can for the reservoir and I found a place that sells cans with delta thread caps. Basically the type of can you get pvc glue in. I also found a vented cap that would screw on.

In the end I had a rubber bellows in the top to separate the brake fluid from the atmosphere, a stainless barbed bulkhead fitting in the bottom of the can, and I sourced reproduction master cylinder caps that I modified to accept a 1/4" barbed fitting. After doing this for mine I thought that it would work on almost anything that had the master cylinder under the floor. I started to do some research into what master cylinder cap sizes there were. The Willys uses a 1-5/8" cap, Ford uses a 1-1/4" cap, Mopar and GM both use a very strange thread 3/4x18. GM also uses 1-1/4" caps on their trucks.

So seeing a need I filled it, here are some pictures and contact info can be found in my signature below or you can PM me.
    IMG_20161015_145149593.jpg IMG_20161015_145544726.jpg IMG_20161015_150249481.jpg IMG_20161015_150355684.jpg

Los_Control likes this.
  2. 55willys

55willys

I will be at the 4x4 swap meet at the Puyallup Fairgrounds this Sunday the 12th and at the Almost Spring swap meet the weekend of the 18-19 also at the same location. If you are interested in these you can catch me at the swap meet or click on the link below in my signature file.

3. bangerbob

bangerbob

I need this kit for a 48 ford reservoir
    [email protected]

Sent from my SM-J327P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. 55willys

55willys

I am at the Almost Spring swap meet at the Puyallup Fair grounds selling today. You can buy them from my website highway101ind.com , I have master cylinder adapter cap's to fit most master cylinders. You will need to know the size of master cylinder cap and what size reservoir you want to run, 4oz or 8oz. You can call me at 360-536-1441 if you have any questions.

5. 55willys

55willys

I have upgraded some of the parts in theses kits. The bottom fitting is now adaptable to either 1/4" hose or 1/4" hard line. The master cylinder caps are now custom machined and accept an 1/8" pipe thread. It comes with a straight 1/4" hose fitting but we can substitute a 90° fitting at no additional cost. Don't put plastic on your vintage hot rod or classic car.
    highway101ind.com

Bowtie Coupe and tb33anda3rd like this.