Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical how did you paint that? fixtures and taping technics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, Feb 10, 2016.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

This was mentioned on the HAMB a long time ago, RoyalShifter I believe, and I've been using it ever since to paint wheels without removing the tires. I'm playing around with a rusty set of Cragars, results look promising and forthcoming.
    1124160833.jpg

Royalshifter and tb33anda3rd like this.
  2. bigheadbaxter

bigheadbaxter

Just curious what are you guys doing to preserve you paints and materials during freezing temperatures? I work by wood stove so it's not always constant temperature. Don't really want to put it in the house. I was thinking maybe I need to put a light or lamp in the cabinet that houses these items?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

^^^^They don't ship that stuff in heated trailers. I say (and I have quite a bit of materials in the shop that get pretty cold) don't over think it.

Mahty likes this.
  4. Blake 27

Blake 27

1.JPG DSC01620-001.JPG DSC05910-002.JPG DSC05917-001.JPG A couple things to hold fenders.

nunattax, DdoubleD, Johnboy34 and 7 others like this.
  5. i keep my paints in an unheated storage space and never had a problem. bring in and let it warm/cool before using.

bigheadbaxter likes this.
  6. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Ive gone back and forth about paints in the cold garage. I keep mine all in a large metal locker I was given. I installed a light socket in the bottom and put a heat lamp in it for the winter months. Probably not doing that much good, but it gives me peace of mind. Rarely does my shop dip below freezing, but my paint cabinet is always at least 50 degrees inside.

MP&C, tb33anda3rd and bigheadbaxter like this.
  7. i found this on another thread. used tomato cages to paint the head lights and rings. 2673390-a7298489a4aa561e19657c1626392cc4.jpg 2673390-a7298489a4aa561e19657c1626392cc4.jpg

Johnboy34 and MP&C like this.
  8. DSCF0005.JPG DSCF0002.JPG model a chassis on home made rotisserie . DSCF0005.JPG DSCF0002.JPG

9. Great tip! Also 2" skateboard wheels are available cheap all over the internet.

I don't have a shop and I know my limits so anything I can't use a rattle can on, I let the experts handle. But spray can jobs can turn out poorly often enough. I made myself a Lazy Susan out of a wooden stool circle from the homecenter and a 6" bearing. It's great for painting round parts while I stand in one spot. It makes it easier to hit that sweet spot between nice and wet versus running. I can attach screws or props as needed.

"And now, back to our regularly scheduled program...." :).....

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    tb33anda3rd likes this.
  10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice A chassis Ted, are you sure it isn't too glossy? Bob

11. hahahah. according to the model A-hole judging guide, 6.7% reduced gloss:rolleyes:

ct1932ford likes this.
  12. made a quick rotisserie to paint this fuel tank. used my garment rack and some angle iron shelf metal. DSCF0006.JPG DSCF0005.JPG

ct1932ford and The37Kid like this.
  13. The37Kid

The37Kid

Perfect MG tank painting fixture since the ends get chrome covers. Bob

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  14. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. the covers are the typical repo pieces. shitty chrome, ill fitting, holes needed to be moved over and welded up. i will post a photo later. the centers need to be prepped for paint so i was going to post how i did it here. stay tuned......

ct1932ford likes this.
  16. here are the covers. the chrome around the edge will be masked off, i will blast the center sections to etch them then prime, sand and paint. DSCF0004.JPG you can see where i have moved the holes over and welded the old holes up. these bolt onto the sides of the tank and are held in by a couple chrome acorn bolts.

ct1932ford likes this.
  17. Made up some quickies.
    image.jpeg

brad2v, The37Kid and tb33anda3rd like this.
  18. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool! Never seen those B4...
    I guess they look like a chrome edge on the tank when you paint'em your way.
    I was going to use those as attachment points to my roll bar + straps...
    What car is your tank going on,,,MG TD?

19. TF, DSCF0007.JPG

ct1932ford likes this.
  20. if you look close your boss' 49 has the chrome edge. 49.JPG
    i am not sure if the little mounting tubes would be strong enough to use as a mounting point. i was a little apprehensive about using them for hanging because i think they are just soldered on.

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

Those MG gas tank side panel attaching nuts are only good enough to hold the side panels on. The tank with gas at 8 pounds per gallon sits on the frame and the two straps hold it in place. Bob

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  22. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

TF Sweet! .. Good Points Guys!...
    I am going to make a "cradle" to hold the weight...
    ...I think I'll run down to Macy's and get some nice brown leather Belts for >10 bucks at lunch today.
    & maybe I'll even get some fancy chrome ends one day?

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  23. it is always worth it to take the time to set up to paint. this rotisserie set up took about a half hour, but i was able to paint all six sides and get paint into all the nooks and crannies . DSCF0005.JPG

brad2v likes this.
  24. priming door jambs. draped plastic on the whole interior, this gave me access to the hinge side of the door. DSCF0002.JPG DSCF0004.JPG

25. I'd rather block out 10 1/4 panels as big as a sail with concave curves than do one door jamb. That thing has like 6 of them jambs :eek:

Johnboy34 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  26. The37Kid

The37Kid

Guess that is why door jambs are the first thing I look at on a "restored" car. If they look as good as the outside, chances the whole car is top shelf. Bob

Johnboy34 likes this.
  27. don't look REAL close at this one. customer was happy with the spray can job he did on them. i couldn't leave it that way. i would have loved to take the doooors off, blast them and the jambs and do it right but that doesn't fit the budget.
    i wrapped a 220 grit self stick D.A. paper around a paint stick for the hard to get areas. moving the stick with one hand and applying pressure and guidance with the other. cleaned up ok and will look good in white.;):cool:
    i will post final pictures

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  28. You got that right!!
    Used car sales 101- nice door jambs.

29. door jambs painted. DSCF0009.JPG

30. and while i was at it, i did all the edges and hard to get areas. the inside of the rain gutter, the hood jamb, the bottoms edges of the car and the cowl vent. these areas are a pain to get covered when you do the out side of the car without risk of a run or hitting the exposed surfaces with the gun or hose. any runs will be sanded out when the primer gets sanded. DSCF0010.JPG
    DSCF0011.JPG DSCF0013.JPG DSCF0014.JPG DSCF0015.JPG

Mahty, brad2v, charleyw and 1 other person like this.