Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration I'm not the only one who does this.. ;-)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Mar 12, 2017.

1. b-bob

b-bob

I did the same thing with spindle bushings, lost one that was there a minute ago. Had to buy another, never did find it.
    Then there were the two ferrells for the oil line, dropped both off the engine end of the line. No where to be found, went and bought 5 of them ,not wanting to make another trip i lost one of these. This time i put a dab of grease on it to keep it in place, lost one more. Never did find any of them after moving the car outside, Then there's the socket, you can guess by now.......

falcongeorge likes this.
  2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Dash is still among the missing and maybe my 9/16 comb wrench is now with it..

3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Never found my floorpan either so size wise we're even. Someone somewhere may be enjoying them hey Seb...

Sometimes its best just to write it off...

4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I have to agree but I hate to give up after all it couldn't be my faulto_O

Stogy likes this.
  5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am going through my attic lately but still haven't found it...I really think it went in the pile of parts in the car and got shuffled into the mass of tin at the shop when I had work done. Not blaming just saying be careful when you move your projects to shops...stuff gets mixed up.

Hope ya get lucky and Gremy brings it back.

6. Hankster32

Hankster32

I would tell you all the stuff that is hiding in my shop but I need to finish looking for the spark plugs that I bought 2 years ago and have looked for them for 2 weeks. Are most likely in plane sight.

7. gene-koning

gene-koning

Or, you put them someplace safe, where you would be sure to find them, if you could only remember where that safe place was......

olscrounger likes this.
  8. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

a buddy and i were assembling a mill from his alfa-romeo; it was a 4-cylinder hemi engine. one of us dropped a nut down a spark plug hole. my bright idea was to pour mercury down there and float it out (lol). he asked how to get the mercury out. i said, "easy, we just flip the engine over and it will pour out." after thinking that one over for a while, he says, "why not just turn the engine over and maybe the nut will fall out by itself?" wasn't thinking too clearly after a day of working on that project...

9. Fess up... how many 25' tape measures do we all own?

flynbrian48, Bruce Fischer and pat59 like this.
  10. Now days as soon as this thought comes into my head-the next thought that comes to my mind is-'Just throw whatever it is in the garbage-I will never see it again anyway-
    Alas... the never ending contradiction between 'organization' and 'hide-and-seek'.

11. gene-koning

gene-koning

I own (2) 25' tape measures! I've bought more then that, but that's how many I can account for at the moment.
    To be fair, I am a welder by trade, tape measures are a causality of the trade, some get dropped enough they break, some get used enough you can't read the numbers, some suffer the results of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, but some just disappear.
    I make an effort to keep two on hand at all times, the bright neon colored ones, so I can find at least one of them...Sometimes I have to look pretty hard to locate one. Gene

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  12. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Or razor knives

13. b-bob

b-bob

Part two of this thread could be, how many sockets and wrenches are still stuck on a bolt under or inside the car??

bobss396 and Asphalt Angel like this.
  14. I probably have 4 or 5 25' tape measures. The Craftsman one is sort of shot, I have a Harbor Freight one and another off brand I can locate, just saw them the other day.

15. i had a 3/8 snapon flare nut wrench my dad gave me. i lost it. a regular customer that i had not seen in a year brought her car in for some work. the wrench was still on the last brake line i had replaced for her.......

16. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

KEEP WORK AREA TIDY HELPS

17. gene-koning

gene-koning

So, is the little picture above your screen name of your car in your tidy work area?
    If so, I'm doing pretty good. Gene

18. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Clean work area is the worst. My buddy's bench top, steel plate, was bare other than the kingpin reamer (with the missing bushing on it) and the little plastic bag with 3 bushings in it...

19. patterg2003

patterg2003

I have lost things many times it gets angravating. Usually the missing piece is hiding in plain sight. The search always starts under my nose and expands to where I set my coffee down. I don't know how many times I looked at a piece that was missing & it did not register on the first or second look. Frustrating but have to laugh about it.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  20. Ive got a system, put everything tools, parts, gaskets etc on the drivers side floor, messes up the car but keeps the work straight! HAHAHahahah!!! It does work pretty well.

21. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

I just bought a 64 Impala completely apart, couldn't find the vent window assemblies, called the previous owner asked him to look at his place. I looked for 4 days so I know for a fact that the guy I bought this thing from broke into my shop last night, some how disarming my alarm and put them right in the middle of all the other parts for that damn 64...WTH?

22. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have been down this road a hundred times or more I bet! One I seem to have happen a lot is if you have multiples of something in the shop that you are working with, gloves, wrenches, clamps, whatever, have you noticed how often when you can't find one it is always laying right next to the others! I guess the damn things get lonely or they are over in the corner shooting the shit about the idiot that can't find shit right in front of his own face!:D

23. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

The guy I bought my '59 T'bird from had "lost" the transmission and the radiator, I just lose little things like Sharpies, kingpin bushings and, yes, tape measures...;-)

34toddster likes this.
  24. reverb2000

reverb2000
    from Houston TX

25. If your work area is clean you need one of two things.
    1--smaller work area
    2--more projects
    Yeah that is the only spot available but I'm hoping to improve some day. hawr hawr hawr
    Ain't gonna happen, unless I get a therapy service dog.

bob bench.JPG

26. I don't wonder why I'm not better at this hobby I chose... I spend too much time wondering where the hell I left the (fill in the blank)

Sent from my XT907 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. It gets worse! I'll begin to look for the missing item and forget what the hell I'm looking for! Then get side tracked by finding something else that was missing 2 weeks ago. Then, in exasperation I give up and go in the house to watch TV. Half the time I find the item in the bathroom. My wife is just as bad. I've found her missing coffee cup everywhere from the refrigerator to the linen closet!

28. Bugsy48

Bugsy48

Walk around the shop for 20 min. looking for a wrench only to find it in your OTHER hand !

29. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

30. I lost a couple of NOS parts for my Ford last year, a trunk emblem/latch assembly and a parking light bezel. Swore up and down they were in a 10" x 10" post office box. Looked for them for 3 months, they were in with some paint supplies under some strainers on my bench. Looked at that box at least a dozen times.