Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Gassers of the mid 60's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Todd's Rod's, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Todd's Rod's

Todd's Rod's
    from MInnesota

ok I have looked at the Gasser Wars book and on line however I cant seem to answer this question. Using 1964 and 1965 as my primary build era WHAT PAINT THEMES were used? I mean all I see is red, orange, white, black, yellow, Didn't anyone do any custom work like flames or lace or...
    If you can add pictures that would be great, I am about 3 weeks from putting the ranchero in paint so I am wide open to suggestions IMG_0691.JPG

2. You've answered your own question. A thin coat of inexpensive paint. Trick paint cost a lot and added weight.

hipster and X38 like this.
  3. Todd's Rod's

Todd's Rod's
    from MInnesota

That's what I was thinking. so it looks like a solid color it is

4. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Almost all were like my 37' one color nice lettering and run it, as we spent every cent making them go faster and stay together

Clean plain and simple was the order of the day, even ' Maz's ' A/gas super was one color candy red with gold leaf lettering and looked mighty fine too

DND Don_Nowell_1938_Chevy_Gasser_super-wide_screen_wallper_website_post.jpg

EVL401, 296ardun, LongT and 15 others like this.

5. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Yellow

Name it ( Hauling Hairy Canary ) :D

Todd's Rod's likes this.
  6. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

If you pick a later date, you can go crazy on the paint, look good all candy and paneled out with those lines

Just Gary and Todd's Rod's like this.
  7. Take a look at Don Montgomery's (Rockerhead on the HAMB) book; Supercharged Gas Coupes
    Prior to ~1967-68, they were mostly single solid colors.
    In the late '60's, painters went wild with stripes and panel paint jobs.
    Then in the '70's, lace, freak drops, etc. Not a whole lot of flames, though.

SuperChargedGasCoupes.jpg

8. earlymopar

earlymopar

Prior to ~1967-68, they were mostly single solid colors.

The one "fancy" thing they had in the 60s was "candy apple" (red with either a gold or silver base coat and then candy green, gold, etc.) Even so, these were still used in solid color schemes.

- EM

X38 and Just Gary like this.
  9. Cool car! Does it have a name? How about gold with white lettering? JMHO.

10. Try my thread here:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...ass-cars-and-modern-traditional-cars.1044218/

No, there was no lace of panels , that really was the late 60's -70's.
    Cars were mostly painted (not rust buckets or primer ) with ordinary auto paint of the day.
    Sorry, but the car in your photo doesn't look much like a 60's gasser at all. I DO NOT CARE, BUILD WHAT YOU WANT, but a little research goes a long way.
    WHATEVER, time for somebody to flame me!

hipster, brad2v, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I honestly like the looks of your Ranchero, it looks like the street cars I saw around here in the early seventies.
    That having been said, it has nothing WHATSOEVER to do with gassers, doesn't even bear a passing resemblance to any gasser I ever saw. Now a bunch of post Sesame Street, forty something lifestylers will tell you what a hater I am, and how I am a total asshole, and post a bunch of photos of street cars and pseudo gassers that have been built in the last 15 years to prove me "wrong".:rolleyes:
    Which works for me, it brings the guys on here that have nothing meaningful to contribute out of the woodwork, and I can add them to my ignore list, so I don't have to read their retarded bullshit anymore.:)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    Muttley, X38, brad2v and 5 others like this.
  12. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Remember the who would you want to meet for a weekend thread????!

Above is mine.. Just for 15 minutes.. that's all
    Cool car

13. Well said, and correct. Cool looking ranchero anyway, but seems to tilt toward the street freak type , just my opinion, I still like it.

14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Personal I would paint the car/truck the way I wanted it (if it were mine) and not give a rats ass of what they did back when.

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Looks like a late sixties street car to me, especially with the dragfasts on the front. I'd lace the shit out of it. Needs some VHT white glasspacks hung under the rockers, and a thunderbolt bubble.

OahuEli, brad2v, ewob53 and 1 other person like this.
  16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

ranchero1.jpg
    Man, I went nuts for this thing when I was 13 yrs old.

Muttley, brad2v, mad mikey and 3 others like this.
  17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Sorry, I have this nasty habit of calling a spade a spade, not so much on "manual excavation implement".

mad mikey and Gary Reynolds like this.
  18. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Still saving up for mine. I'll see how yours turns out.LOL 20150628_154023-1_resized.jpg

19. Man, to have a set of Firestones like the ones on George's pic. Street freak heaven there!

mad mikey and falcongeorge like this.
  20. Todd's Rod's

Todd's Rod's
    from MInnesota

good stuff and great opinions, keep it coming either you like it or you don't my plan was all white with traditional flames radius the wheel wells and change the wheels to cragers, so what is the opinion on that idea?

0NE BAD 51 MERC likes this.
  21. Todd's Rod's

Todd's Rod's
    from MInnesota

after looking at Gary's threat I guess I am kind of a poser huh?

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

white is great, but can the flames, or at least hold off on that idea, I will try to dig up a few early seventies street machine paint job pics to give you some ideas. Think fish scales, endless lines, freak drops, cob webbing, ect. Flames are honestly too limiting. I lost the cover off that magazine the Ranchero was in, you should see it in colour! Candy purple over silver flake, fishscales, ribbons, man was it ever cool!

Just Gary and mad mikey like this.
  23. Todd's Rod's

Todd's Rod's
    from MInnesota

ok and thanks for the research I will look around myself I just don't want it to be boring

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

This a great example, too bad its black and white. Vreeble panels, pearl panels and fogging. This is from 1975. I love this car, had a tunnel ram 289.
    vreeble.jpg

brad2v and mad mikey like this.
  25. Build what you want! But for those of us that are 1000 years old and actually remember gassers from Sunday 1960's drag racing, not just pictures, it just is more the street freak than gasser.
    WE GET that most of you don't care, you don't have to! BUT, this site is about traditional cars, not vans, 70's cars or street freaks,tuners, drifting or ( GOD!) rat rods! Falcon george is correct! So am I! It's like you kids that think tire smoking FED's were doing burnouts! We were there, just take our word for it!
    I will not have this debate again, it's just dumb. AND it's just dumb if you are under 50 years old to iNSIST you know better!
    Have fun, be safe, do whatever you want. There's NOTHING "WRONG" with your car, it just isn't a 60's gasser.

X38 and brad2v like this.
  26. "Sometimes this pure "traditional" business" can get old."

LOL THEN, you are on the wrong site!
    I suggest Yellow Bullet is more your style then!
    http://www.yellowbullet.com
    AND nobody called anyone a "poser', nobody called anyone anything.

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

'56 chevy SD, personally I would pass on the murals, but you could do something like the panel painting. Mask off panels on the side, spray them in a candy colour, then use a cardboard stencil, and fog the edge of it in a darker colour, move it about a couple inches and repeat, then fogg around the edge of the panel with the same colour.
    56 sd.jpg

mad mikey likes this.
  28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Jim Tice's famous '55, the main thing here is the stripes. Again, mask and lay down the stripes in a candy colour, then lay thin strips of tape across the stripe, and fog with a darker candy colour.
    tice.jpg

droppedstepside and mad mikey like this.
  29. southcross2631

southcross2631

How about a Candy red and pearl white in the factory 2 tone pattern. You get the wow factor of the colors and still have the era correct paint.
    The only full size Ford Gasser I remember racing against in the mid to late 60's was a ugly green 58 two door with a 427 . Ran B/Gas at Miami-Hollywood and West Palm.
    Ranchero's were usually tow vehicles ,not race cars. Like yours though. Needs a tube grill.

30. Nobody cares about any kind of history anymore.I am an amateur historian, I have spent years studying the Pacific War with Japan. Now people say "it's all good", who made you boss. etc and believe the dumbest, most incorrect , unfactual things. AND THEY THINK IT"S FINE! DUMBING DOWN REVISIONIST THINKING!
    Facts ARE facts guys!
    History can call for interpretation, but NOT opinion. If kind, uh, whatever.......is close enough, fine. I don't give a crap! But I do reserve the right to laugh my ass off at you!
    Get it right, or don't PRETEND to care. Stop your damn whining!

Muttley, Roothawg, X38 and 2 others like this.