Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. rdlong1961

rdlong1961
    from Ohio

Attached Files:

2. Cool things like the spare center chunk carrier and spare tire holder.

chryslerfan55 and Airpig like this.
  3. Yep. And he was relatively high dollar then! Things were so different, and so damn much fun!

Airpig likes this.
  4. Yessir, how very true. Now trying to relive some of it in the Southeast Gassers. For us at least it has put the fun back in racing. All day drives--race--all night drive home. The only reason we do it is for the experience and fun.

5. Posted before, but how can you NOT love this Buick 8 at Arlington Wa.?
    [​IMG]

6. Man I LOVED this car in 66! It's speeds and 8 second ET's were amazing the, Dyer certainly has balls to have gone 160 mph in this thing!
    [​IMG]

7. UK Slingshot

UK Slingshot

I love hearing the stories to the pictures. Stuck in the UK there's not such a big pot of history.

Also helps me get ideas for my car.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. rooman

rooman

Looks as if it may be Dyer in the Mr Norm's car--maybe when he rocked everyone with that 8.67 blast at Lions

Roo

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. rooman

rooman

They joys of spider gears. A bit hard to tell from this angle but it appears to be a Don Long car--cues are ball bearing end push bar, frame the same width top and bottom, wheelie wheel on seat longitudinal, chute and shroud line mount locations. Maybe a Hanna body as well due to the way it hangs below the lower rails and wraps under the car

10. rooman

rooman

"Jungle" Larry Faust

Roo

chryslerfan55 and Dean Lowe like this.
  11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I agree with Roo, here's a rear shot of our Don Long car, with Hanna tin. Untitled-23.jpg

12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

So did all the dragsters run an open rear?

loudbang likes this.
  13. rooman

rooman

Pretty much. Some of the smaller engine cars ran quickies with live axles but most of the fuel cars ran open rears. Ed Pink was one who came up with a custom spider gear/shaft package that tended to live longer than the stock ones. Later on some ran Detroit Lockers before everyone went to spools. When Flip Schofield ran at my local track in Australia back in the early 70's we had a "media" day for the local press/TV and he did a burnout and a short squirt. After the crew pushed the car back from the burnout Flip did a quick "chirp" before rolling into the beams and I asked him about it afterwards as it was not like a real "dry hop". He told me that he had learned that is the car was steered enough while being pushed back there was the possibility that the locker would disengage and only drive one wheel at the hit. I guess that the "learning" was pretty exciting. :)

Roo

14. Irwindale Raceway, mid-‘60s: Paul Althouse wheels the very competitive ‘Devastation’ Corvette during E.T. Bracket eliminations at the east LA County raceway. Paul’s prowess with a ‘big block’ Chevrolet engine was becoming well known as was his ability to shift a Muncie 4 speed.

Ed Foley added this: “I remember the '63 Vette split window coupe 'Devastation' very, very well. It ran at old Irwindale Raceway all the time circa 1967-'68-69. The car was driven, tuned, and built by Paul Althouse of Paul's Automotive fame out of Monrovia, Ca. The owners name was Leo Desbeian who, if I recall, owned the body shop that painted the car right near Paul's Automotive on Foothill Blvd. in Monrovia. The car ran very consistent at Irwindale. On a Saturday night that funky blue/purple Vette was always running in the finals or semi-finals of #1 money bracket with a dial-in e.t. of 10.35 to 10.40 e.t. with a top end in the 138-142 m.p.h. range. The car ran a .060 over 427 Rat motor = 440 inch. mil going through a Muncie M22 'crash box' that Althouse would manhandle with 'greatest of ease'. Paul's staging and burn-out technique was a show to see in itself. I don't know if the car was a legal NHRA B/gasser, but it was definitely a show stopper with those big tall Hillborn injector stacks, Cragar S/S mags and that super metallic purple/blue paint scheme. Very cool car. “
    [​IMG]

15. Vintage Pro Mod??? No, it is the 3,700# Chevrolet Biscayne owned by Bob Davis and housed at Paul’s during the ‘60s. The car used a 427 motor with a 6-71 blower and a Torque-flite transmission by Art Carr. The crew includes Bob on the left, two unidentified crew men, and a very young Ron Ogilvie.
    The Jolly Green Giant
    [​IMG]

Dean Lowe, hendelec, enloe and 3 others like this.