Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 37 ford truck nose on a 33 coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 33highboy, Mar 13, 2017.

1. 33highboy

33highboy
    from Florida

Can anyone explain in detail the procedure to get a 37 truck nose on a 33 coupe. Please, no wise guys.

Attached Files:

2. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

There was a how-to article in R & C about the process, I'm guessing around 1973. Jim Jacob's coupe (the car in the picture you posted) was the subject, and he probably did the article.

BigDTexasKid likes this.
  3. First up, you need to narrow it because stock it is too fat and chubby (if you want it to look any good)

thirtytwo likes this.
  4. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From what I remember the nose on Jakes coupe came on one of the few he combined to build the yellow car. It is definitely narrowed as X38 said.

Atwater Mike and thirtytwo like this.

5. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Gonna be cool....gotta put it on there and see what's what

6. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

A lot of work but sure looks cool!

TBonez likes this.
  7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Clark knows how to do it. Bob[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  8. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

Not to be rude, but, if you have to ask, it is beyond your capabilities. It sure is beyond mine.

49ratfink likes this.
  9. Here,s another one 31.jpg

hfh, alfin32, RustyBullet and 8 others like this.
  10. The37Kid

The37Kid

^^^^^WOW! That one is shortened too. Bob

Stogy and falcongeorge like this.
  11. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

I really like the look of the red car where the chrome strip down the center of the grille connects with the hood hinge. I also very much like the reduction in size of the grille shell, retaining the original shape of the front of the hood side, rather than keeping the shell full size as the white car has. Beautiful job.

Atwater Mike, Stogy and Hnstray like this.
  12. Agree...and the grill looks better being a little bit more narrow on the sides...and probably easier on the 34 hood since there isn't the dip on the hood top like the 33

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

trosa54 likes this.
  13. That red car is the way to do it, best example I've ever seen.
    But then again it's a total rework, looks like Henry did it

falcongeorge likes this.
  14. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

View attachment 3478598 View attachment 3478598 View attachment 3478596 View attachment 3478596 I chopped and narrowed mine,
    $50 grill had no teeth... used 5/16" flat strips... '35 truck hood sides [looks like a pregnant '34]...
    trimmed off the rusted and dented grill to fender sections...
    for the vertical center strip i trimmed a '36 car SS hood side trim to be 2 teeth shorter than the grill's face, top and bottom.. sorry no pix...
    made a couple of '35 hoodside strips to run on top of modified '46 tail light housings... tail light trim pix.
    dropped a 2 lbs spool of stainless into the mig...
    carefully welded a ball to the cut end... ground the back side flat... ground / sanded a radius on the ball end to match the stock end...
    when the right size and smoothed as much as possible i "polished" the ball end with the back / paper side of my 1" belt sander's belt.. good enough for a hot rod ... street rod ? ...
    37 nose on nipple 820 005.JPG 37 nose on nipple 820 007.JPG

Attached Files:

cfmvw, 6sally6, catdad49 and 2 others like this.
  15. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

there is a thames truck grill... wish i kept it...

BigDTexasKid likes this.
  16. E83W...jpg 2014%20GNRS%20072.JPG

17. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

there you go, don't have to narrow it and it has the factory directionals holes...
    if you still have the thames emblem... even better...

18. Not sure if it is a Thames (pronounced "tems", like the river) somewhere but it is a Fordson in New Zealand. British vehicle.

19. Jakes Yellow 34 3-W Coupe W/37 PU Grill. I went to the 1973 Tulsa NATS & Talk to Jake About his 37 Pickup Grill. This was before his Article came out Later that Fall of 1973. I'm meet him in line to go into the Pavilion. He told me he Bought 4 Different Coupes & the Grill Came on a Black 34 3-W Full Fender Coupe. Already Cut & Built. It's Funny how a Kid of 16 Dreams & wants Car like that Style of 37 Pickup Grill. An how things in Magazines Inspires a kid to keep that Dream for over 40 Years. An you just can't let it Go. I've Got all the 34 Roadster Parts to build my Hi Boy 34 Roadster. An how in those 1971-1973 Rod & Custom Mag Years influenced me on the Style I've Finally decide to Build. The 1st was the April 1951 Hot Rod Jack Morgan 37 Grill W/Red 34 Hi-Boy Roadster Body. I found that Mag in my Uncles Collection, that he kept when he Bought the Mag new in 1951. Then, the Influence of Tom Senter writing the Ardun White Papers. Never found a Ardun Heads I could Afford.But, I Know a Man Joe, Whose got a NOS Ardun Heads Under his Bed in Original wooden Box Crate! He'll never Sell them! He'll be buried with Them. We Joke about it. To . The Joke about me, with my Friends, is I've never Married as I'm wanting to marry Twins! Instead of Chasing a women, I've had over 40 Years chasing Cars & Parts. An I'm always Buying pairs Parts. Ex. Grills, Dashes, S/W Gauges, Dash Panels, Wheels Artillery, Hal Mags, H-101 & H-201, Kinmonts, etc..to have Spare's. But, when Senter's article came out with the Kinmont Brake Story in 1971. I did come up with a Full Set & a Half. Then Purchased NOS Brake Hoops from Jim Etter in Pennsylvania. Big Texas Thank You! Jim! I'll never be able to say how much as a Kid it Ment to me. You need Spare Replacement Parts! I meet the Guy in the Mid 90's at Tulsa, that had it built the Black HI-Boy Roadster W/37 Grill. I knew of him, & he has had several Cars. We found out by talking we were wanting the Same Rod & influence of Morgan's Build. I wanted a Removeable 3-W Coupe Roof Top, Past Tech DuVall Windshield from Gary Lang. Auburn Dash from Larry Jeter (Rest in Peace) Collected All my NOS Auburn Speedo, Tach, remount S/W NOS Auburn Gauges from D.Martin, also from Penn.$35.00 ea. In Original S/W Blue & Yellow Boxes, Bought 2-Nos S/W 2-3/8 Duplex Gauges from Sam Rambo from Glen Pray Collection $300 a Pair. This Started my Addicted Obsession to Collect S/W 2-3/8 Duplex Gauges! Finally, Coker came out with New Firestone Ribs & Diamond Tires. Bought my NOS H-201 Quick Change For $300 at ole Pate Swap Meet from Dallas Halibrand Dealer Claude Meters,( Rest in Peace) I found 2-Mint 37 Pu Grills, the Best Grill was Excellent, No Broken Grill Teeth & all Straight, but the Lower Bottom V-Bead was Rusted out about an 1-1/2 Inch. I located it in Clyde Tx, Hanging under the Eve of the Roof of a 2 Story House. Nailed to the Wall. It was up about 16 Ft. I'd Seen it there for about 4-6 Weeks, it was Getting to me, about not being able to Stop! I just knew it would be Bought by Someone. It was Like a Red Flag hanging on the Wall! I was a Long Haul Trucker for Roadway Sleeper Truck, Double on a Turn to SAC, Ca. 5,600 Miles Trip back to Dallas. So I never had a Partner that would let me Stop to check it out. It got to me! So, I stop & there was a Older Lady, that answer the Door. She told me it was her Husband & She said she would call him for the Price. She said he wanted $30.00. I ask her are you For Sure, that's what he wants! Yep, was the Reply! I had only $40.00, 2-Twentys Bills, on me, so I said to her There you go, Keep the Changes. I wanted to do right & having Good Karma, that Let me find it, so I wanted to Keep Good Karma Working for me! The Best 37 Truck Grills are off of Red Fire Trucks! We, in Dallas have a Big 35-37 Truck Hoarder, our nickname is Fleecen Fred. This was in 1985, before the 37 PU Grill became a Hot Rod Grill. I bought 2 Mint Grills With S/S Trim & Excellent Radiators $500. A Piece. I was Happy. I had Purchased 2-1937 Ford Deluxe Panels from Freddie, so, I knew what the Deluxe Options on 37 Ford Commerical Trucks. I was Schooled by my Friend, Nolan Cason. (Rest in Peace).He was the President of the early ford V/8 Club. He had 100 Point Restoration of a 1937 Deluxe Panel Delivery & 1937 Ford Deluxe Stake bed Pickup. Both had all the Deluxe options for Commercial’s, ex. Road map Light, Commerical Radio Head, Commercial Glove Box Clock, deluxe Heaters, S/S Windshield Trim, S/S 1/4 Bead Hood Side Trim, Commercial Front & Rear Center Bumper Guards, etc... I was in the Dallas V/8 Club Back then, an Nolan & I Lived in S.S. Tx. So, I got to buying a lot of Bob Drake Repo Parts. I First meet Bob Drake in 1974, at Antique Auto Supply, Owner Stacy Brown (Rest in Peace (4/11/20.) on Arkansas Lane. He had Come out with his S/S Gas Cap & 1934 Ford Cardboard Glove Box Liners. Ive talk to Bob Drake about making 37 Pu Grill S/S Trim, 37 Pu Deluxe Hood 1/4 Bead S/S Trim, ask him to make S/S Rod Hood Hinges, & he Made it. Due to our 2-3 Hour chat at Good Guys S/W NATS in 1995. I Knew Bob's Dad, Bev from ole Pate Swap meet, & I Helped him Assembly of Bob's New Repo 40's Grills, While we Talk Cars. He talk about Golf , the Ben Hogan & Byron Nelson Tournament. He was a Big Fan of those Texans! I Bought my PS Kidney Bean 16 in Knock Off wheels from Phil Schnider Of P.S. Engineering Co. Purchased My Original Thicksten Heads, Head Covers, Pm-7 Dual Intake & Air Clearner for $325.00 at 1985 Chickasa, after seeing the Popularity of the 37 Pu Grill, I decide to go another Direction. Found a 1933 Lincoln Grill Shell mint $75.00 85 Chickasa meet. Found 1935 Lincoln Grill insert Mint $125.00 on eBay listed Wrong as 1937-1939,in 2015. Purchased 1933 Lincoln Grill Shell 33 & Insert $300. Mint No Rust or Damage. Hemmings, was listed 3- Months. 2004. They only made a Total of 2,200 Cars in 33 & Less in 34.! Chassis Built in 2009. Collected all 34 Roadster Body By 2008, over several Years. Great big help by Ed Solari! Big Texas Thank You! For those 1 Off Parts, & Drawings & How to Instructions. Cowl came from 34 Phaeton drove off Mountain side in Casper Wyoming in 57, Hal Meyer's Son found it, While Going to Wyo-tech, early 80's. $300. Found Pair Green Roadster Doors from Secrest Collection @ Pate Swap Meet in 1980, excellent Steel Quaters From Ron Alexander- Traded nice pair 3-W Steel Doors, Purchased $500. Full Length Steel Floor Very Nice George Owens, Mint 3W Coupe Steel Top down to Beltline,To Make Removable Hard Top $100 Mike Elliott Azle Tex., 1933 Ford Complete 2-Door Sedan & Full Fender Body, With Chassis & Wheels,$135.00 off Texas Instruments Caferteria Bulletin Board, 1933 Ford Grill, Mint Straight no Cracks, But Light Pitted, hanging off West Tex-Fence Post, over 40 Years.$30. Pate Swap meet 1979. 59L Block Engine NOS Sharp Heads, Hot Rodded, Hot Cam Low Mileage Built, Chrome Pan, $800. 1985 George Owens, 32-Heavy Drop Axle $150. 1985. Owens. Best 34 Roadster Wood, Brad Brown's Wood Shop Doors, Cowl, B-Hinge Post, Package Tray $1500. 2009. Excellent Craftsmanship & Fits! The Reason I list these parts & Sellers (Friends) is to show when, Who & $$$ That I purchased over a Period of Time, To collect my Dream Roadster Hi-Boy. Yes, it's been 40+Years, but I've Enjoyed the Chase, Hunting, Making Life Long Friends, Travel, adventures, Getting away, Time Off, Recharged. An I've got 15 Different other different Cars, Trucks COE's Im retired & building them like I want. A BigTexas Thank You! to the Friends I've meet & Purchased Parts from! BigDTexasKid

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  20. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

Hey big D, sounds like quite the adventure, how in the heck did you remember everybody's name and the year?
    Tom

BigDTexasKid likes this.
  21. 33highboy

33highboy
    from Florida

Great, anyone have a line on a thames truck grille???

BigDTexasKid likes this.
  22. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

i hear the aussies barbaque wallabies on the darn things...
    big d... street rodder did a write up on the 4 coupes jake bought in prosess of building the california coupe...

clem, waynos and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  23. Google Fordson E83W to see where the grill on the red coupe came from. It's not from a Thames.

clem and Tman like this.
  24. [​IMG]
    Looks more like a Thames 1/2 ton shell with the crank openings filled.
    I have two of them...

alfin32, 29EHV8, hfh and 5 others like this.
  25. Clark

Clark

Here is better pics of my car. Pretty sure the red and white car is not a 37 truck grill. Looks too flat compared to the truck grill. 20170228_131417.jpg 20170228_131830.jpg

alfin32, A Boner, MO_JUNK and 18 others like this.
  26. Definitely a Fordson truck/van grille on the red coupe. (Fordson E83W in New Zealand - maybe Thames in Pommyland).

Bear:)

thames10cwt.jpg

tb33anda3rd, alfin32, A Boner and 6 others like this.
  27. What's with the broken roadster beside this?
    [​IMG]

28. Shhhh! It's the style and he paid extra for it to look like that. If you try to point out it looks bad they will call you a hater. :D:p

Atwater Mike and Just Gary like this.