Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 47 ford coupe front suspension

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mr. h, Mar 12, 2017.

1. So I've been trying to get my front end apart on my 47 coupe and have failed. I want to go with all new everything from axle to wishbones and spring. My question, is there one set up that is better than others? I've seen spring in front:behind. I'd like to stay with drum brakes and I don't want to clip it (it's just me in my garage by myself doing all this). Thanks for any opinions and direction.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

I'm not sure what you have there now, however it would be hard to improve the axle and wishbone if they are original short of having your axle dropped a bit if you prefer. A good choice for drum brakes would be '53-'56 F100 or perhaps the Lincoln repops out there now. Just my two cents and hope it helps.

3. Currently it is the stock set up, well was before I ruined the wishbone trying to get it apart. So I want a drop axle dropped steering arms split wishbone set up.

4. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

The most common thing to do is have the axle dropped along with the steering arms. It will give you a 2" drop.
    If you want more drop, then change the spring to a reversed eye spring. Sid's does a good job on the axle and spindles for the drop. You can get a reversed eye spring from speedway. Brake as AVater says.

iI

5. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

Don't have to split the wishbones.

6. pictures? maybe it can be saved

7. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

You can split them though. Look at chassis engineering .

8. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Don't despair. I bet you can find a full replacement out there pretty reasonable. Flea market/swap meet season right around the corner.

9. [​IMG]

It's hard to see but the bottom cup is blown out

10. And I'm going to have to sacrifice either the axle or the wishbone to get it separated.

11. Sounds like this is a first time deal for you, first things first is drop the entire front axle assembly out of the car, two bolts on the wish bone ball cup and two u-bolts on the spring, disconnect the shocks and sway bar and it'll drop right out. It will make this job infinitely easier to do than trying to do it on the ground. good original wishbones are still out there and there really should be no reason to split them unless you absolutely have to for clearance issues. The original suspension design does it's job very well and part of that is because of the simplicity of it.

mr. h likes this.
  12. alchemy

alchemy

Yeah, get that thing out from under the car! Removing the perches is really hard when you have it up on the bench. Impossible when you are upside down under the car.

You may need to drill out the perches now, but when they are out and the axle is disassembled, you can add a bit of weld and grind the cup back to shape with a die grinder and stone. It's NOT scrap.

Have your axle dropped by Kohler Kustom (Google them). Andy might also do the steering arms, ask him.

Then get a reversed main leaf for the spring from a local spring shop. Take them the original main leaf and have them make you a new one with reversed eyes, an inch less arch, and one inch less width. Assemble the spring again without the 3rd from the top leaf to give it a bit softer feel. Later might want to remove another leaf if still too firm.

Search the threads by Chris here on the HAMB about his '46 coupe project. He recently had some questions about assembling his front end after a dropped axle, and there are bound to be some hints in there for you.

mr. h likes this.
  13. [​IMG]
    Thank you for the tip, finally at least got it out of the car.

14. What size is the hole through the axle if I'm going to drill it out? Heat hammer heat hammer lube lube lube repeat is not working

15. 11/16" perch boss hole; but you don't have to go that big to get them out.
    perch bolts.jpg

mr. h likes this.
  16. alchemy

alchemy

Start with a small hole halfway in. Then work your way bigger until you have a thin wall of perch still in the hole (like Rich B shows). Put your center punch bit in your ratta-tat gun and push in that hole. Should come out then.