Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I need ideas for a column drop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have been working on the sedan and finished up the new mounts For the front seat and have gained 6 more inches of leg room and now I need to raise the steering column up.

I have no intention of changing the steering column and I assume it's a early GM van tilt column and the column drop is one of those swinging billet pieces painted black and not that offensive but I need the column to be higher.

I am open to creative ideas. HRP

This is what it looks like now with the exception of it being painted black.

[​IMG]

In the car......

[​IMG]

2. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

3. Weld it up and drill a new hole?

timwhit and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. All the Limeworks drops are designed for original or their aftermarket columns. HRP

5. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Bummer, they look so good though.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. You know,welding it up is not even a consideration but the idea of drilling a new hole higher in the drop and cutting the old original hole off might be something to think about. HRP

7. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

So cal makes one that a guy can open the hole up for a bigger column.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. wicarnut

wicarnut

I always thought an aluminum connecting rod looked good for column drop on old school type rod. If you can't find one that you can modify to fit, machine one up from 6061 stock.

9. I was looking at the aluminum rod that came from a friends top fuel car but that thing is huge.HRP

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. If the two pieces of the support separate. Cut it down re cut the notches and screw it back together.

11. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Check Speedway they have shorter drops that look similar in style to that one.

lothiandon1940 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  12. IMG_1676.JPG I have this one i would let go of if your looking for something a little better looking.

13. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

14. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Can you unbolt the lower section that has the whole and make a new lower half and bolt back up.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

16. HRP, what's your steering column's diameter?

17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You are correct Danny, they are a bit hurky looking in some cars, kind of depends on the style of car you have, I bought this one in the late 90's at the CHRR in Bakersfield.
    Funny thing is It's the very first part I bought for my upcoming roadster project.
    The plan was to make a column from scratch, keep it small and with nothing hanging off it.
    By doing this, I was able to use the small end of the rod for the column end and mount the big end under the dash, kind of reduces the "perceptive" size of it.

[​IMG]

wicarnut, Just Gary and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  18. 2 inch. HRP

19. Maybe, just shorten the top and use flathead screws for the pivot, so you don't have to counterbore for the original allen bolts

Sent from my Nexus 5X using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. Aluminum piston rod

HOTRODPRIMER and Just Gary like this.
  21. ...with a 2" rod bearing diameter... Probably something with a small displacement. Nobody would have to known where it came from.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I had a good aluminum con rod from Jungle Jim Liberman's last blow up. He sent it back to me from Pa., with Ronny Atterbury.
    Was in my office, disappeared one day when I was with a customer...

As for 'raising the column', I'd slice a horizontal section out of the mount body, and weld it back together. Grind and file like it never happened! ...and paint it again...

23. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

columndrop.jpg

You can make one like this in any size you want — simple and very traditional.

24. My next question will be will it move enough at the underside of the floor between the column end and the box? Or will you need to move the hole in the floor too, you know so the foot has more room to get at the new brake pedal position?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. wicarnut

wicarnut

Try to find one for SBC, big end 2.0 or 2.100 journal size, know for sure they were made for the 2.100

HOTRODPRIMER and 61cad like this.
  26. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Section your current drop

Engine man, The37Kid and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  27. His OD is 2", need smaller like a 1.89 Honda connecting rod without the bearing.

HOTRODPRIMER and Just Gary like this.
  28. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

old school . muffler clamp

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

If you are going to paint it black anyhow why not a SJ SBC rod?Just put a set of bearing inserts in it.If you wanted to fancy it up you could tap the bolt holes in the rod and run stainless allen bolts.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.