Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration FREE CAR ON CRAIG'S LIST

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by COCONUTS, Mar 10, 2017.

1. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

LAST NIGHT ON CRAIG'S LIST UNDER FREE STUFF IN THE WASHINGTON DC AREA A PERSON WAS GIVING AWAY THREE CARS THAT WERE LEFT ON THE STREET. TWO WERE JUNKS BUT THE ONE IN THE MIDDLE LOOK TO BE A 51 PLYMOUTH COUPE, PRETTY MUCH STRIP OUT. I AM ON A TRIP AND WAS USING THE MOTEL COMPUTER, SO NO PICTURES. I THINK THE CAR IS SOMEWHERE IN MD CLOSE TO DC. IT IS NOT A COMPLETE CAR, BUT IT DOES HAVE THE FRONT END AND THEM SOME. I AM IN NO WAY CONNECTED TO THIS AD...JUST WANTED TO LET YOU GUYS KNOW.

2. Rat.Racer

Rat.Racer
    from Maryland

3. Are scrap prices that low that someone would just dump that stuff there?! Unbelievable! Aside from the fact that someone could maybe use some parts off that MoPar, that's just so wrong to dump that stuff on the street for the taxpayers to take care of.:mad:

4. Maybe some one just wanted the trailer, stole it and dumped the scrap. J. Smiths is right up the road, that's where most of the scrap cars end up.

5. it probably was the Russians who left them there

6. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I would suspect they're stolen and the stuff that's hard to sell or easy to ID is what's been dumped there. DC/Baltimore is a major hub of criminal activity (that's why I don't live there).

7. Yes Scrap is still down @ $4.00 per 100 lbs or just $80 a ton.

Without titles that stuff needs cut up into little pieces and the weight doesn't cover the labor to do that. First you gotta drag them to where ever they will be cut up. If they are stolen one could be in a world of shit if circumstance fall and line up. Then load it, haul it, unload it collect your $240 and return to deal with the trash and non metallic items. The weight wouldn't cover a tow truck run to drag them in whole.

8. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

I'm looking for a 3 window for parts........

anyone know if it's still there? I'm 2 hours away and have $100 cash if someone can pickup/store a day for me :)

grifcarnut likes this.
  9. slowmotion

slowmotion

I wouldn't touch that pile with a ten ft. pole. The risk way out weighs the rewards.

10. Check the last statement and be sure to bring your gat and your attorneys phone number. These are not free cars these are abandoned cars or they belong to someone in the neighborhood. The poster only doesn't like them they are not his.

ace5043, triman62, kbgreen and 3 others like this.
  11. F-head

F-head

someone once said "there is no car more expensive than a free car"

12. LOL that may be alternative facts. :D

13. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I suspect somebody took them to the scrapyard and they wouldn't take them without titles so they dumped them in the street.

14. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Engine,radiator,cragars etc.etc. ??? I wouldnt touch em either unless I knew it was 100% legit.
    [​IMG]

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

looks like maybe the Plymouth has been picked up by a giant forklift. look at the giant holes in the side.

Speed Gems and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

My luck would be if I'd picked them up and be charged with theft! Darn and I like free!! lol

17. Yep grand theft auto is a real hindrance to free.

18. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Very interesting taste in cars... Civc, Jetta and a classic

19. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

One of these things is not like the others...

wraymen, B Bay Barn and slowmotion like this.
  20. Exactly. The Craig's List poster is giving away some stuff that's not his, that's sitting on a public street. I would beware.

If anyone living near me used that logic their Craig's List ad might read:

"Crummy rusted orange pick-up truck, scratched and dented Saturn Vue, piece of shit four door Cadillac dumping transmission fluid everywhere it stops, f-ed up jap motorcycle spewing smoke and sketchy dangerous foereign sidecar rig; all polluting my neighborhood. Homeless-looking balding man occasionally fiddling with them, but for sure abandoned crap. No need to call me, just come with a tow truck and get that crap out of my life. (Take the balding homeless-looking guy too, he never rakes his leaves and they end up in my damn yard).

21. That some funny stuff

RRanchero Rick likes this.
  22. slowmotion

slowmotion

Second thought, the makings of the first Hamb Community Gasser ! Made with cast off bits & pieces from all across the land. OK, someone go pick that pile of future Hamb history up. Beuller? Beaner?:eek:

23. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

it's all I can do not to grab my trailer and check it out....
    the post is 6 days old and 2 hours one way without traffic for me, probable end up a 5 hours for nothing .

24. Lothiandon, I agree with you. We are a small town here in East T.N. but that would never happen here.You would be in jail in a heart beat. Bruce.

25. ................I know your area well, Bruce. I spent my first 12 yrs. in nearby Chestnut Hill just a quarter mile from the Bush's Bean canning factory. I still know a few folks in Sevier County.

26. rush549

rush549
    from Kansas

Times and methods change. But there was a story several years back about stolen car auctions. A thief would steal a car, strip it of it's engine/transmission and such, then drop it on the street. The police would pick it up, hold on to it, then sell bunches of them at auction. The thieves would buy the car, put the parts back on that they stole, then sell the entire car with it's new title. The police knew what was going on, but couldn't really do anything about it. They couldn't prove anything.
    Maybe they have changed how they do things, maybe not. But these cars are likely stolen. And possibly awaiting their parts to someday be returned to them, along with a new owner.

27. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

This was a real problem 30 years ago. People would strip their cars, report them stolen and wait to buy back the recovered remains from the insurer. It got so bad that one of the insurance companies would not resell the stolen/recovered cars, and the salvage buyers had to destroy the bodies. Manufacturers started putting th vin on all the major parts, and put an end to most of it. One adjuster told us he had dealt with the same car and owner three times.

28. Lothiandon, I remember you telling me that. Its nice and quite here on our mountain top but the traffic in Sevierville is getting so bad now I feel like I am back in Orlando Flordia with all the tourist here all year long now.The traffic really sucks.The wife wants to move but that's still up in the air for now with me.Bruce.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  29. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Looks like a setup to me.

30. Squablow

Squablow

Pretty confident that is a 46-48 Dodge business coupe in the center there. I don't know what the story is on that, wouldn't doubt that these are from a body shop where someone skipped town, that Dodge might be someone's ongoing project and they might not even know it's gone, looks like fairly fresh primer on it.

Damn shame if it gets scrapped, even bigger shame if it's someone's project and they are unaware. It would be a hell of a good deed to go get it and then investigate if it really does have an unknowing owner, although that'd be a lot of work and I'd understand if no one stepped up to do it.

Hudson31 and Hnstray like this.