Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 36 Ford barn find. Need to get mercury flathead running. Just bought it last week

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 36 Penny Coupe, Feb 28, 2017.

1. 36 Penny Coupe

36 Penny Coupe
    from VA

It really is. Thanks so much for these great pics. Beautiful car. I love the steel wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Nice find. I'm partial to 35-36 Fords. I've been staring at your engine shot trying to figure out if there is a fan on your engine. The newer flathead engines practically forbid running a mechanically driven fan in this year of car, because of lack of clearance to the radiator. Many guys give up and go with an electric fan, seeing as they upgrade to 12 volts anyway. Would you mind posting a closer picture of the fan area, if it indeed has a belt driven fan, you may help some of us fellow 35-36 owners figure ours out.

I like the color, but I like white walls too, to each his own I guess. You've got my vote to keep it the way it is. Congratulations.

falcongeorge likes this.
  3. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

No, no, no its all wrong. Don't worry about that motor running. TOO EXPENSIVE to get it going, so just send it over to me and i will send you my 327!!!! Running great! :)
    Nice find btw.
    My car was done in the 60's also. Black and white interior and i found maroon paint too. Original blue then green then maroon. Dont like maroon. But i do like rust color :)

4. JimmyD3234

JimmyD3234
    from PA

cool fine me i would never paint it make it look like old 50 /60s car as that is what it is keep that LOOK have fun enjoy COOL FINE :D :cool:

Runnin shine likes this.
  5. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would have killed to find a '36 coupe in that condition. Mine was really hacked up and I've been redoing it for 5-years, now.

That's a rare find and I like the color and even the rear mounted spare. I would just get it safe & running well, do the maintenance and enjoy the heck out of it ! Congratulations !!

falcongeorge likes this.
  6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

satin black, conform damn you, CONFORM!!...:rolleyes::( Thank god you changed your mind on that! nice survivor, I love it.

Runnin shine likes this.
  7. 48-760

48-760
    from OH

Be aware that the double detent 81A- top shift castings can either have the large shift fork 3" marked 91A- prefix (for the 39 & later gear set with blocker rings) or the smaller fork marked 68- prefix (early 36-38 style syncro without blocker rings) just checking the part number of the top shift casting will not tell you if you have the 39 style gear set. The length of the shift handle (internal to the transmission case) or remove the top of the transmission will let you know if you have the more desirable 39 and later syncro. The length of the shifter from the top of the swivel to the bottom of the lower ball joint is 4 3/16" for the early style gear set and 4 7/8" for the 39 and later gear.

8. 36 Penny Coupe

36 Penny Coupe
    from VA

Great info. Thank you.

9. 36 Penny Coupe

36 Penny Coupe
    from VA

Thank you !! I will

10. 36 Penny Coupe

36 Penny Coupe
    from VA

[​IMG]

11. 36 Penny Coupe

36 Penny Coupe
    from VA

[​IMG]

redlineracer42 likes this.
  12. 36 Penny Coupe

36 Penny Coupe
    from VA

13. 36 Penny Coupe

36 Penny Coupe
    from VA

15. My guess is that if the engine is not stuck, that it won't be too hard to get it running and on the road again. I would definitely pull the oil pan and the oil pump and clean out all the crap/junk that will most likely be in them. While I was down there, I'd pull the center main bearing cap and just checkout the main bearing - to see if it has already been rebuilt and is undersize. Soak the oil pump, pull the cover on it and see if everything looks good and the bushings aren't shot. Pull the pressure relief valve/spring and clean that all up. In most cases, you're better off running a good/clean original pump than you are buying a new repop one.

If it was mine, I'd pull the heads and inspect the cylinders and valves - to see if there are any rust issues from sitting. It also gives you a chance to lubricate the bores a bit and then turn the engine over to make sure all the valves are working and not sticking. Heck, you could put a weekend into all the little engine tasks and unless you find something bad, have everything ready to go.

You'll most likely need to redo the water pumps and fuel pump (at least the fuel pump). The whole brake system will have to be gone through.

My guess is that it has a 12V system - given the voltage regulator and other relays that are on the firewall.

16. 36 Penny Coupe

36 Penny Coupe
    from VA

Sounds like a good plan. Thank you

17. 36 Penny Coupe

36 Penny Coupe
    from VA

18. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

I would stick a block heater onto it first. Before pulling the oil pan anyway.

19. JimmyD3234

JimmyD3234
    from PA

Runnin shine likes this.
  20. JimmyD3234

JimmyD3234
    from PA

thats a nice 36 looking good :cool:

21. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Looks like a large custom built top tank on that rad....what intrigues me is that a dual master cylinder set up for juice brakes or ??.... is the "servo/cylinder" thingy mounted higher up on the firewall a power brake booster with the one master cylinder acting as a pressure switch? looks like a neat set up...pretty advanced for early '60's tech.... a simple upgrade to self adjusters and you'd have pretty good braking

22. Don't the 36 radiators have the upper inlets pointing down? If so, that could be why it was modified to run the 8BA ....

Great find - get it running safe, and enjoy it as is. It's a time capsule for sure ...

23. Thanks for the extra pictures 36 Penny Coupe. I've got the identical fan setup here and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed. Nailhead A-V8 and TomT are right, there looks to be some rad modification to your car. Makes me wonder if your rad has been moved forward a smidgeon in the process. Only way to know for sure would be a side by side comparison.
    There is a good video on youtube that shows a stock rad, I don't know how to post the link without the obnoxious picture being installed in the post. The title is: '36 Ford 3W Coupe Flathead First start. For those who want to go there.

I'll be watching for more updates as you check things out. Even the smallest move forward is a move in the right direction. Thanks again.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  24. 36 Penny Coupe

36 Penny Coupe
    from VA

Great info Thank you !

25. Baldies

Baldies

I'm thinking that is a booster. I think I have one laying around someplace.

26. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

wonder what it's from?

27. micshotrodgarage

micshotrodgarage
    from colorado

Barn finds are out there, this ones still waiting my rescue!

Attached Files:

• 051.JPG
      051.JPG
      File size:
      162.2 KB
      Views:
    TagMan, Nailhead A-V8 and 45_70Sharps like this.
  28. 36 Penny Coupe

36 Penny Coupe
    from VA

WOW!! Very cool

29. Vacuum brake booster.
    Early T-Bird is one.
    One of the first builders/promoters was Dick "Magoo" Meguorec (sp) back in the 80's.
    I have one on my roadster, in use since 87.

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  30. Willysdude

Willysdude

Hi Mike... How are you ? Just happen to see that your from the Western slope of Colorado. That's cool ... I'm from a small town east of Grand Junction about 45 miles. I'm always trying to peek in every barn and shed I see. Looks like you found a 35 or 36 there ? and a Roadster at that. So could this be for sale ?? or you going to build it? I'm wanting to eventually build a Model A Tudor... just saying, so if you ever see any in your travels ...... Good to see fellow Rodders close to home. TTYL