Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Creative places to hide your battery

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have placed the battery under the seat on the Produce truck and I kinda wish I wouldn't have. It's there now, but I wish I would have hidden it in the bed somehow.

The trunk in the bed was an afterthought or that would have been a perfect location.

On my next 36 p/u build it is going to be a lot higher end car, so I need creative but not cliche ideas.

loudbang and mack57 like this.
  2. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Friend is running a pair of 6v cells in 2 of his cars, they are so easy to hide that way. has one behind the seat, youd never know its there.

Ed Angel likes this.
  3. raven

raven

I stashed my battery in the roadster in an ammo box that I married into the floor of the trunk.. It's weather tight, too.
    r

4. oj

oj

I keep wanting to make a Moon tank to hide the battery up front.

5. cshades

cshades
    from wi

On my 41 chevy coupe I made a battery box that I welded to the frame perpendicular under the front fender. The battery fits length wise between the frame and the fender. I welded some tabs on to the fender and then made a splash guard/inner fender to protect/hide the battery. I just keep track of the date I put in the battery and usually change it out after 4 years. Haven't had any problems with it other than it is a bit of a pain to get to. The battery in my 40 truck in my avatar is mounted under the cab with drop out box mounted to the frame. It is a real pain to get out so I just make sure I also change that one out every 4 years so I can put it on the hoist to do it.

loudbang and p__moore like this.
  6. In the spare tire cover on the back of the Austin along with the fuel pump, filter and any thing else I can fit in there.

7. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Only other place was in the trunk with the gas tank and I wasn't thrilled with that.
    [​IMG]

loudbang, bchctybob and LOU WELLS like this.
  8. Roothawg

Roothawg

Mine ended up being right in the way for the exhaust. I thought it would be plenty of room.....but alas it twas not.

9. Roothawg

Roothawg

That's clever........would be perfect for a gasser.

loudbang likes this.
  10. 5window

5window

In my A coupe, I put the batter in a tray/frame that sits inside the frame rail and forward of the rear end. In 10 years, it's been fine-as long as I don't have to get at it! I also have a plate under the car on the rail that has remote jumper ports and a safety hut off switch. I also have a very small box under the running board to house the battery tender cables. It all works great and I have had to replace the battery twice, but it's ok. Not really any room in an A for the battery or fuel tank.

loudbang and Jalopy Joker like this.
  11. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

I've owned several '40 Fords including 1 pickup, the pickup I used the stock location which was the most handy, in 2 of my cars I've mounted the battery in the trunk and one I have it under the rear seat with remote place for jumping if needed, that is a pain to route the cables and for changing it, I'd never do it again.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

mine is in the corner of my shop - one in wife's '50 Chevy PU is mounted in a drop down box on passenger side frame rail with set up like 5window has = remote jumper posts & master shut off switch

13. A Boner

A Boner

Just buy a small battery.
    <---- my 27 modified uses a Harley Sportster Battery. Works great....but then the modified only has minimal basic electrics. It's mounted under the dash at the top of the passenger kick panel.....not far from the starter.

wsdad likes this.
  14. My old Deuce pickup had the battery in the old Chevy trunk in the bed.HRP

[​IMG]

30TudorSedan, rfraze, Mikel50 and 2 others like this.
  15. I've also seen a few pickups with a Coke or Pepsi cooler used as a battery box. HRP

loudbang likes this.
  16. Roothawg

Roothawg

Here's the trunk in the Produce truck.
    Trunk 4 (1).JPG

loudbang, 1927graham, rfraze and 2 others like this.
  17. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

mine up front

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  18. 5window

5window

Somehow, in my mind, I include these setups with the folks who have a Pepsi/Coke cooler as a trailer-it's a bit too much StreetRodder for me.

But, I appreciate that it is not my car so that is ok, too.

19. squirrel

squirrel

I like to put it under the hood, in plain sight...no one ever notices, because it looks like it belongs there.

And I can get to it easily, it's easy to run the cables, etc.

20. Gman0046

Gman0046

My 46 Ford convertible has the battery on the right frame rail under the passenger seat. Remote post in the engine compartment if a jump is needed.

Gary

21. This made me laugh my ass off.

Jet96 and Rex_A_Lott like this.
  22. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I had a battery explode one time due to battery flumes and a loose cable. I would not want my battery near my gas tank, for that reason alone.

loudbang likes this.
  23. BJR

BJR

Or under my seat!

24. wsdad

wsdad

Try these: IMG_5325.JPG

25. Roothawg

Roothawg

Not happening in a 36 Ford pickup. The 37's had an albatross on the firewall and it won't go unnoticed....guaranteed. That one of the disadvantages of running the 30's iron. Space is a premium.

26. fleetside66

fleetside66

I have mine in my tool box that I bought myself for Christmas in 1972. It also serves as my glove compartment.
    P1012814.jpg

loudbang, oj, leadsled and 5 others like this.
  27. squirrel

squirrel

If you mount it up higher than the 37, use a smaller battery (group 26 for example), and recess it into the firewall a couple inches, it would not look like the 37 albatross.

28. Roothawg

Roothawg

I can scale the battery group size down and possibly get away with mounting it on the frame. I like to keep the firewall clean, if possible.

29. squirrel

squirrel

I used to, but I got over it.

BJR and charleyw like this.
  30. Chris
    The Original Owner of my 36 pickup put the battery under the seat. Long story but the battery shorted out, caught the seat on fire and torched the cab. It has taken 8 years to rebuild and this time the battery lives in a Hamm's antique beer cooler in the bed. The cooler has been subdivided and leaves space for tools and such beside the battery. I would never recommend putting the battery under the seat again but that just my humble opinion.

loudbang likes this.