Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods dodge poly and hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by silent rick, Mar 3, 2017.

1. silent rick

silent rick

i'll be picking up my low deck dodge 241/270 short block next Friday(thanks Jack).

it's got me on the look out for hemi heads. then I got to thinking. I already have the firedome in my 46, what I need is a poly. everybody is taking off their poly heads to turn their mills into hemis. poly heads should be laying all over the place.:)

so what parts do I need? all I have is a rotating short block. poly pistons will have different valve reliefs. are the intakes the same? I hope the intakes are the same. are all poly heads the same? is there a better choice?

let's share the knowledge.

2. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I have some ready to go 259-260 Ploy heads, converting the Poly to Baby hemi as you said so lot's of extra parts, push rods, pistons, VC's, etc....................................................

3. George

George

To make a poly you need the complete head assymbly, push rods, ex mans. On @ least some of the low comp low decks the factory apparently put hemi pistons in some Polys & vice versa. Guess the low comp pistons & cam didn't create interference. With high comp pistons 7 higher lift cam proper pistons would be the way to go. Advertised C/R on 241 was 7 or 7.7:1, one measured an actual 6.19:1. Don't know if high comp poly pistons are available.

4. silent rick

silent rick

do the two use the same water pump/crossover and intake manifolds? as long as they're both low deck.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

6. 35desoto

35desoto

Water pump crossover and intake manifolds are all interchangeable

7. sunbeam

sunbeam

If it is a 270 I have a set of ..040 over NOS poly pistons for $150. If its a 241 you may have to open up the push rod holes.

8. dang...I'm so far behind.....tear downs are in my future....241 poly/hemi -270 poly - 315 hemi....

9. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

I have a 270 poly and trying to figure out headers. I was thinking of flanges from Headers By Ed and then adapting to Sanderson headers for Dodge hemi. Anybody tried this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. 35desoto

35desoto

Your better to use the header flanges and make your own. The exhaust ports are not the same and all you will do is cut up a perfectly good set of headers for the hemi and create a patchwork poly set

jack_pine likes this.
  11. 35desoto

35desoto

Our if interest does anyone have a good low block crank? Good friend lunched his 259 Plymouth poly and the crank is the last part we need for a darn good rebuild.
    Any 241 or 270 crank will fit

12. Andy

Andy

I have a nice set of 241 heads,pushrods,rockers,bolts, and covers for $300.
    The crank has one journal worn .016. Machine shop says it will need ground .030 on the rods.