Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration >>>>> 3/3/17 FRIDAY art show <<<<<

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Spoggie, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Jan 46

Jan 46

I am amazed at the talent all you guys have! The mechanical side of my brain works great. The artistic side not so much.

Ron Brown, Mark A and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  2. RalphyBoy161

RalphyBoy161

As a lot of you know,I'm in the GRUMPY BASTARDS vintage tin Car Club in Brooklyn,NY and have "SUPPORT" shirts for sale ( you can buy one at the Misc for sale section here). I sold one to a friend of mine and she sent me this picture of her wearing the shirt. I thought it would be great to post it here on the FRIDAY ART SHOW.
    WHAT DO YOU THINK? GB_BooB.jpg

oldsjoe, Jet96, chriseakin and 17 others like this.
  3. Mine for this week. duotone 1.jpg

oldsjoe, Jet96, Cruisin' and 12 others like this.
  4. Hey Ralphy...That design really "stands out"! ;)

chriseakin and Mark A like this.
  5. skipstitch

skipstitch

Stromberg97a.jpg
    This week's contribution is an "Eyeball Engineered" Stromberg 97 I created in 3d as part of another project. I wanted an accurate looking carb, but exact dimensions weren't needed.
    While researching pix for reference, I found this old link: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/worlds-most-expensive-stromberg-97.342976/

Neat to read and cool how technology has advanced. Today, I imagine, you could use FREE online software to create an accurate replica on your laptop at home. For fun, I scaled my model to 1:1 height and width and requested a quote from a 3d print shop. Cost for desk art? $35.00 plus shipping with a two day turn around!!!
    Below is a sneak peek of where the new "carbs" will live...

oldsjoe, Animal, Cruisin' and 13 others like this.
  6. skipstitch

skipstitch

7. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-3-3_7-58-10.png
    Hello,
    I thought I had made a similar custom model van years later when I was playing with those little cars called “Stompers.” The idea for the drawing was the ultimate "Street/Surf Checker." (With the back camper shell removable.) Well, here is a model Stomper with the same idea.

I found it in another box stored away in a garage cabinet. I cut a van roof off to get a removable shell. When people wanted to see why that particular Stomper was so much faster than the others in the neighborhood, I lifted the shell to show them the stock looking motor/chassis/battery compartment.

Jnaki

Inside, of course, having the hot rod influence, I had modified the motor and ran a larger battery that fit in the compartment. Otherwise, it looked stock. It was the Top Eliminator at the weekly neighborhood drags many times.

8. The { Stone Woods and Cook}Willys 1708.jpg

oldsjoe, chriseakin, Animal and 17 others like this.
  9. A few {Artsy photos} for my Willys theme. 081.jpg 040.jpg 045.jpg

oldsjoe, chriseakin, Animal and 11 others like this.
  10. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

You guys all have some serious talent. Thanks for sharing.

Cruisin' and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  11. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Ron

I was at old San Gabe one nite and Doug was just leaving the line hazing the rears pretty good, and it started to come around on him

Well he had a Brody knob on the steering wheel that he was really working out on , and he saved her from going around as it was doing a few tank slappers

The old man came walking down to see Doug and he was so shook up that he could not even talk

One of those racing moments in time, DND

12. Ruben Duran

Ruben Duran

Thank you, beebing.......I applaud you're efforts to focus on learning the fundamentals of color theory, which didn't come easy to me either. Dude, I can't even recall how many late nights and multiple revisions I had to do on projects back in art school.
    These are the things that helped me learn about color theory: for value, paint out a simple value scale. Start with black and lighten it in 10% increments until you get to white. You should see a nice gradation with no harsh jumps from one value to the next.
    For color, paint out a color wheel of primary, secondary and tertiary colors (the challenge here is to mix two primary colors to get secondary colors, ie: blue and yellow=green..... and mix the secondary color with a primary color to get a tertiary color ie; green+blue=blue green)
    Finally, paint out a value scale for each color on the wheel. Just like black to white, start with a color and make it 10% lighter than black. Work your way down in 10% increments until you get to white. This will not only reinforce value, but also teach you about hues. Here's another challenge....try to darken each color without using black and lighten each color with minimal use of white. That will teach you about saturation.
    It's not easy, but it really helps if you want to use color effectively in your work.

chriseakin, Animal, Ron Brown and 4 others like this.
  13. kenmo

kenmo

2016 Atlantic Nationals, Moncton, New Brunswick....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

oldsjoe, Animal, Cruisin' and 12 others like this.
  14. kenmo

kenmo

This a decal I made for a 3D model I am creating.

It's a hot rod build shop that presently exists in only my mind.

Decal was created using the latest version of ArtRage 5.0 (95% of work) with some touchup (color, cropping, text addition) in Photoshop CC 2017. I added a backgroudd to add interest for this post. Background will not be present when used as a decal.

[​IMG]

oldsjoe, chriseakin, Animal and 15 others like this.
  15. kenmo

kenmo

Mark A, biggeorge, Jigger and 2 others like this.
  16. {D.N.D.} I really like your story. That is what I like the most about the HAMB. All the cool stories like that one. I sketched another Willys, a sedan delivery. I still need to add some detailing and a name for it. Any ideas ? lol 012.jpg

oldsjoe, Animal, Cruisin' and 14 others like this.
  17. @kenmo Thanks...I thought I'd play around with something a little different this week. I really enjoy your work...Nice!!

18. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Ron I was never for gasser names too much just a owner - driver name like we had in the early 60's, for a clean and simple look as sometimes there is too much signage

DND

Jigger and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  19. 55Belairman

55Belairman

It was great to finally meet you Mr. Jigger! Like I said before, your drawings are so much fun. I showed the "Dream Series" of the kids in the station wagon to my Mom. She said that was definitely her in the wagon, but she never had any desire to own a Corvette . Keep on creating the FUN, Mark.

biggeorge and Jigger like this.
  20. ‘Busting’ out you best stuff eh there Ralph boy? LOL!

21. Pffft! ... Mister...
    It was great to meet you as well Ken. I hope to see you again. It was quite an experience, I had so little time to really visit with people at the show. Maybe I’ll get better at that if I keep trying to get back there.
    I sold a sketch of a Cadillac I drew during one bit of quiet time. Sold it too. :)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  22. Ron,
    I like your Willys theme. I've had the same theme going on in my head for the last couple of weeks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've been working in Corel and Photoshop for so long that I thought I would attempt an actual drawing. Realized my drawing skills need more work.
    [​IMG]

oldsjoe, ct1932ford, Animal and 16 others like this.
  23. Mark A

Mark A
    from Michigan

Yes and that is a very good thought. I had it at a slight lean, but The man that its for din't like it that way, so Its now like this. Can,t argue with the one who is paying for the work. But thank you. I appreciate it highly.. Thank you Jigger.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  24. sololobo

sololobo

another knock out show, wow, Jigger went wild on this one!!

25. Jessie J.

Jessie J.

Some prefer the artistic liberties of cartoon style exaggeration, while others prefer photographic level accuracy, dependent upon pose, perspective and/or media and color to display their artistry.
    Love the wide range of artistic styles and talents that are on display here weekly as you fellows polish and perfect your skills for our enjoyment.

26. I wasn’t thinking... forgot you had mentioned it was a commission. you are, of course, correct, customer is always right. See, this is why I PM comments like that. to avoid public humiliation for the both of us. ;) Give ‘em hell Harry!

Thanks SoLoLobo... I’ll be sending you ( the money) for your kind comment. To August!

Mark A likes this.

27. Great shots Ken. Love this one! A big thank you for your comment a couple weeks ago also!

28. miky2001

miky2001
    from houston

20170124_164810.jpg hot rod boat from the twenties, had a hispano Suiza motor.

29. I hate to be a pooh BUT... let’s be careful to keep the wishes of the HAMB top brass.

We have to “self police” the art show. There are some Off Topic pictures filtering in, more and more, week to week. If someone doesn’t say something it could get out of control so I’ll be the jerk this week.
    I don’t want to discourage anyone from posting their old art but it should still be traditional stuff or at least generously balanced with things that correctly define what this sight is about.
    ( This from the guy who posted a ’68 Mustang... lucky I wasn’t strung up for that one... I punished myself with a one week suspension... )

Great stuff everyone ~ Keep ‘em coming!!!

Jet96, Animal, Cruisin' and 2 others like this.
  30. Miky2001, Killer boat! Amazing craftsmanship!

FYI, my comment was not directed at you as your post seems to have shown up as I was typing. These boats would be cool too share on Sunday Models also... I will leave it to the moderators as to whether they qualify as on or off topic...