Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects ONE PIECE AT A TIME ('47 FORD COUPE)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by topher5150, Mar 1, 2017.

1. topher5150

topher5150

I'm calling this project "One Piece at a Time" because that is what it's going to be, save a little buy some parts, and/or tools. This is my first project, and I'll be asking all my dumb newb questions here from now on, so please have mercy on my oh great and powerful interwebs.
    The plan is pretty simple, lowered with white walls, flat black, 302/351 w/C4, Ford rear end, and a mostly stock interior.
    This is what I'm starting off with, and what I hope the end result will be.
    As of right now I'm in the process of stripping everything off the car, and waiting for the my tax return to come in to give this project a little steam.

Attached Files:

1Nimrod, Hank37, 48fordnut and 11 others like this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

good body style - good example of finished ride to aim for - go to any swap meets in your area to possibly find stuff that you need - craigslist & eBay too - going to strip old paint, etc off yourself or plan to send it out to a shop ? - yep, many of us run on low budgets

1Nimrod and 509garyd like this.
  3. topher5150

topher5150

Before I bought the car I went to the Kalamazoo swap meet in Feb.
    Not so much on craig's list ebay looks a little more promising. I know a lot some people too, and I'm sure they know people.
    As far as paint, well first I'm going to get the floor boards, and rockers done at a body shop, but when I get to paint, we have a paint department at work, and if you ask nice enough they'll let you use it for personal projects.

1Nimrod, OzMerc39 and dana barlow like this.
  4. For a first time build you've taken on a pretty big project. I see your not just a Young Kid so maybe there's a good chance you'll pull it off. I wish you the best of luck. I've seen this play out many times over my years where reality hit's first in the Wallet then in the lack of Tool Box. Then as time gets away the drive goes with it. Two very under estimated things we should all have is Car buddies to motovate us and Contacts to help out with the things we can't do on our own. I believe that to turn Photo 1 into Photo 2 for an experienced home builder it's a 3 year project, on the for mentioned budget a little longer. I know of a few projects in the 8 to 10 year time frames. I think the best thing for projects like yours is for the Owner/Builder to get involved in the local car scene and find a group of like minded Guys and stay in constant contact. That keeps the Vision alive and important to you.
    Again best of luck to ya.
    The Wizzard

5. My '59 Ford was little more than a rolling shell 2.5 years ago, been driving it for 8 months now. I have deeper pockets than most so money was never holding me back. I kept the build on a budget though doing 95% of the work along with some dedicated friends. Very little was sent out. Sending out the short block freed us up to get ready for it when it came back. I was able to hold the focus all along, that's what stalls and kills many projects. With yours it looks like a lot of general cleaning and sanding is in your future. Good luck, take pictures as a reference for yourself. We like them too.

1Nimrod, Kelly Burns and Stogy like this.
  6. Bob Labla

Bob Labla
    from mitten

Glad to see you pulled the trigger.

1Nimrod likes this.
  7. topher5150

topher5150

making car friends....I think it'll take less time to figure it out my self :D

Attached Files:

1Nimrod and Stogy like this.
  8. topher5150

topher5150

11095.jpeg Now I wait for the tax man with my money so I can get going on some parts.
    If it gets a little nicer out in the next couple of days I'll probably move the crossmember back into the Ford position.

Rogga, 1Nimrod and Stogy like this.
  9. Andrew Mccann

Andrew Mccann
    from Bristol UK

I'm a one piece at a time guy. Trouble is for me most parts I need are in a different continent... great satisfaction seeing a car come together on a low budget. I'm as into my build 4 years down the line as I was when I first started, could easily run to another 4 years before it's finished.
    You have certainly bitten of a large slice of restoration cake. I started with one side of an axle housing and a cracked engine block...
    Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. topher5150

topher5150

That's why I want to keep it simple...I want to be able to drive it before I retire.
    I don't know compared to some of the builds I've seen on here this looks like a cake walk.

11. topher5150

topher5150

FB_IMG_1488752880066.jpg Took a crack at using an air grinder to get the rivets off the cross member, but my little air compressor couldn't keep up. Gonna have to get an angle grinder

1Nimrod and slv63 like this.
  12. Most of those are countersunk, I generally flatten the head off and use a drill. Keeps from getting way into the frame rail.
    The Wizzard

13. topher5150

topher5150

What's the easiest way to get the corner rivets

14. sawzall

sawzall

I am doing a 47 convertible myself. but I don't know why your removing the cross member? it looks as though its in the correct location..

if you are in need of any parts, I may have them. as I have a BUNCH of small stuff for these cars..

one thing I am looking for though.. is the original heater that goes to the square hole in your firewall??

1Nimrod likes this.
  15. topher5150

topher5150

It's in the Mercury position so it needs to go back to fit the fenders. I need trim pieces and interior pieces.
    I'm looking for some coupe floor boards

1Nimrod likes this.
  16. Toqwik

Toqwik

My 3 cents. Spend your money on tools and not a body shop. Floors no one will ever see and rockers if you don't get them perfect then that is why they made plastic filler. My advice would be (1) get it running. When you get bummed out on a project, being able to hear it run will inspire you. (2) get it able to drive around the block. There again, it keeps you driven on the build. (3) do the have to things first and save the wants for later. All things to keep you focused on you end vision. This is why so many projects never get finished. People try to build the "Ultimate" car all at once and that only happens with the pro builders. I wish you luck on your project and hope it turns out twice as nice as you expect.

Toqwik.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

WilliD, 1Nimrod, Moedog07 and 6 others like this.
  17. [QUOTE"]What's the easiest way to get the corner rivets[/QUOTE]
    Snap a couple photos of them. I don't remember exactly where each one is.
    The Wizzard

18. topher5150

topher5150

I see what you are getting at, but the floor boards, and rocker replacement and repair is more structural rather than cosmetic.

1Nimrod likes this.
  19. topher5150

topher5150

IMG_20170310_184048352.jpg it's just too cold to work on anything today. I did get a package from EMS. I think the box got here before they even billed me

1Nimrod, Stogy and koolkemp like this.
  20. Good luck, I will be watching. I am in the same boat by choice with a '40. Some of the fun for many of us is in the build. Sure many can go out and buy one, but building one or saving one is not something everyone can do.

What kind of welder do you have?

1Nimrod and Kelly Burns like this.
  21. topher5150

topher5150

Something this important I think I'm going to leave to someone more experienced

22. topher5150

topher5150

The weather took a turn for the better this week so I made some progress. I bought a speedway lowering cross member and started on the rivets. The ol cordless Craftsman drill gun battery didn't last too long. so I'm going to see about getting a decent corded gun

Attached Files:

1Nimrod likes this.
  23. topher5150

topher5150

Well sorry to say, but I'm going to have to put the brakes on this project for awhile. I got called into a meeting today, and was told the my performance wasn't meeting what they expected, and they have to let me go.
    I know I haven't posted much on here in a while, I've been buying tools, and parts, and doing a lot of research.
    This doesn't mean that mean that I'm giving up, I just have to worry about my priorities for the time being.

If anyone, in the west Michigan area, is looking for a CAD guy let me know.

1Nimrod likes this.
  24. topher5150

topher5150

So I've been doing some work on the car with my free time. It was a struggle but I got it done. IMG_20170602_134413154.jpg IMG_20170602_173832120_HDR.jpg IMG_20170602_185631961_HDR.jpg

1Nimrod and dana barlow like this.
  25. ...to keep it cheap and fun, lower it a bunch, drop in a later driveline, get it safe, forget about paint rite now and drive it....for me this plan has worked over and over. try it you mite like it....or if you have to paint it, sand er down and paint it with a brush. Good luck to you with your build.

1Nimrod likes this.
  26. topher5150

topher5150

Thanks... that's the plan simple,and safe. When I get some more money coming in gonna get an old Econoline van and use everything I can

1Nimrod likes this.
  27. phat rat

phat rat

Good thinking on the cherry picker

1Nimrod likes this.
  28. topher5150

topher5150

It was my first time welding together something. So I was a little nervous watching the bracket that I made flexing like that

1Nimrod likes this.
  29. topher5150

topher5150

IMG_20170604_192520854_HDR.jpg
    Made a little progress today got the rear end and the gas tank off.
    IMG_20170604_193259204.jpg
    And then I noticed this on both sides by the gas tank. Any advice on how to patch this up?

1Nimrod likes this.
  30. topher5150

topher5150

The new speedway cross member in the "Ford" position. Looks like only half the holes that I need are there IMG_20170605_144711725.jpg

1Nimrod likes this.