Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Loud bang,Don't give up!You are much appreciated by many. You are one of the bright spots left on the hamb.If one goes back to the beginning of this thread,The original poster put up a picture with no description,and suggested you do the same.I know you try to give credit where credit is due.There are hundreds on here that just appreciate what you do.It is great to have exact history.But it wasn't required by the OP..

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    thehazguy and loudbang like this.
  2. Guys lets end this drama! No more, Ryan will lock the thread, this bickering is not allowed on the HAMB.
    Use the private message option,i you want to argue , can we get back to THE DRAGS?
    DON'T BLOW THIS THREAD!

I think this is the Magwinder,??You older SoCal guys chime in.
    [​IMG]

thehazguy and Dean Lowe like this.
  3. Gary Coe ditched his popular but too heavy 57 Ford , GUNFIGHTER, for this Mustang in C/A.

[​IMG]

tommyd, Dean Lowe and bitman2112 like this.
  4. If I recall correctly, the Beaver Brotherst car in SoCal circa 66 (?) That's a very young John Force in the background, the guy with no face!!!

[​IMG]

checkedgoldtop and Dean Lowe like this.
  5. IN honor of the March Meet, here's Big Daddy holding Swingle in the lights! You couldn't even THINK of doing this today. March Meet 65.
    [​IMG]

6. Don't know who these guys were, but this Crosley is the kind of stuff that made the Altered classes cool!

[​IMG]

Dean Lowe likes this.
  7. Bob Sullivan's Pandemonium Barracuda. A buncha stock Plymouth with the engine from his fuel dragster.
    Note his racing a dragster here, not class for match racers ( funny cars ) then, if you ran nitro you likely were in CC/Fuel Dragster!
    I'm thinking this was Indy 65 perhaps?

[​IMG]

55belairx2 and Dean Lowe like this.
  8. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Gary,
    This photo is of the original Sidewinder by Paul Nicolini and Joe Maillard from Long Beach. It was one of our favorites as it was at Lions almost every week. It won a lot of races, too.
    The Magwinder is a later version. As beautiful as it was, it did not run as well as this original Sidewinder.
    Jnaki
    Someone posted a photo of the Magwinder in some post here on the HAMB without info a long time ago.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  9. Yeow! THIS is why funny cars became so popular! Tire smoking, ill handling loud nitro burning "stockers"!
    A FUN TIME!!
    [​IMG]

10. I think this is Garlits in the ill fated red 66 car. Don't know for sure who it is, but it's the March Meet and it's outta shape!
    [​IMG]

11. Dragster veteran and champ Jack Chrisman fielded this Comet "roadster" in 1966 as part of the Comet team. The car was super strong, ran 180's which was mind blowing then! It spawned the topless funny car craze, but it's performance was due more to Chrisman than the lack of top. The car burned to the ground, was replaced by a regular Comet body.
    A world beater as were all the factory Comets.
    [​IMG]

Hotdoggin DaddyO and Dean Lowe like this.
  12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Hard to mistake that mouth full of teeth.
    "That hot rod went truck'n down there".

bitman2112 likes this.
  13. Charlie K

Charlie K

Agree, what Rod1 said.

fiveoh108 and loudbang like this.
  14. An example of the topless craze!
    Note the gigantic technical advancement from this 65 Dodge, to the Chrisman Comet. In ONE year1
    Lots of too heavy older cars saved some pounds by lopping off the roof!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  15. One of Ray Godman's Bol Weevil's blast of at, looks like Indy.
    [​IMG]

16. Mike

Mike

Most of the folks on this board are not professional writers, and certainly no one is getting any compensation for posting here. Most of those who post photos on these threads are just gearheads taking time out of their day to share cool stuff with us, I appreciate their efforts. It's great when someone can post information about the photo, but if they don't have time to do that , or there is no information available, so be it. If something is occasionally repeated, so be it. I would rather see a cool image posted here without a caption than not see it at all.

If someone offers to share some cookies, should we criticize them for not offering milk to go with them? Bottom line is that people are using their time to share cool stuff with all of us. Let's appreciate that.

thehazguy, rod1, Gammz and 1 other person like this.
  17. Don't know who, but this is Santa Ana in the mid 50's.
    [​IMG]

Bangkok Dean likes this.
  18. Yes, the Orange Crate did race, here at McMinneville Oregon.
    [​IMG]

19. hemiman_1999

hemiman_1999

I very seldom say anything here but I to want to see people like loudbang continue posting items, frankly if it doesn't contain information I have the ability to do a little research and learn what I want.
    Thanks to all that find stuff and Post It for everyone else...

20. I agree with Gary. Lets not ruin this thread with drama. He's right. As good as this thread is, Ryan doesn't like drama, and he will close it. That would be a huge loss for all of us.

21. SixtiesStyle

SixtiesStyle

Yes, this is the Garlits short-lived red digger. Has a few mechanical issues at the Bakersfield meet. The photographer in the blue jacket is Forrest Bond. I took this shot from the stands.

22. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

Is he out of shape, or doing the push start down the track and doing a "uee" back up the track and turning again to stage?

23. COOL! I had no idea who to credit! Great shot from what many call THE GREATEST front engine meet ever, Bakersfield 1966. Over ONE HUNDRED thundering nitro burning AA/FD's. If you weren't around, just imagine that many cars today! There were hundreds of nitro racers all over the nation then! I was an awestruck 13 year old, living and breathing drag racing! A really fun time.

24. Another shot of Garlits dog red car! His first and last, after this one it was back to black!
    At Pomona.
    [​IMG]

25. 1966 NHRA Points Meet at Irwindale. Don't know who.

[​IMG]

26. HOLY CRAP! Is this Carlsbad! This is the RUN kids, no burnouts then! YEOW!
    [​IMG]

27. 1966 HRM Meet atthe late, great Riverside Raceway! Don't know who, but lightin' 'em up! What a shame this multi use track is gone.
    Pre slipper clutches! Now is this Nando Haas??
    I wonder how Getty Images came to imagine they own all these old HRM Magazine images?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  28. FROM WDIFL
    Fuller-Zeuschel-Prudhomme at the '62 March Meet; left to right: The guys standing behind the car are Kent Fuller, Ed Donovan, Tom McEwen, Don Prudhomme, and Tom McCourry.
    Doug Peterson photo

[​IMG]