Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods GOING TO TRY IT AGAIN ~ 5 SPOKE MAGS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Feb 17, 2017.

1. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Another Lark that I did think looked good with 5 spokes 11_25_0.jpg

verde742 and dana barlow like this.
  2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Here is another picture of the blue one leaving for Melbourne 5 spokes and all. Maybe it looks better on the other side of the road. My no spoke S7F1KAtJ3nAX99PS4XldUA.jpg Vega accompanied it on the trip/

verde742 and dana barlow like this.
  3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

4. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Artdeco Gas Station Coral Way n 17ave Miami Fl..JPG Any Mag's { being name used by most of us} when they started being more comon in the 60s,all though it didn't matter what they were made out of really,could be alum,mag,or even shaped steel with the kind of same look. Plus hub cap copys with the look. They were pretty cool,we were in away running out of things to do with hub caps,rings n Moons. Still like most things we added to our cars,it was how cool it seemed to look, an if it could be aforded or found. Many things used now{2017}were kind of cool but no way to be had by us then,real mag racing rims off Indy cars etc. were not in the game too 99.9% of most of us. 5 Spoke in there forms were sure cool,I liked Slots my self best. It was all about being racey looking if only you could save up enough. Took me a few years after building my own hotrod in the late 1950s to get a set of slots,an then only by trade with a good buddy. The steelys with beanys an rings I had to start with seem cool for some time. Tell I got the slots I still run them.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  5. I describe the process in detail in my book on the Mysterion. I did not use new rims, had the originals polished and chromed. Not cheap!!

6. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

14" Cragers

Attached Files:

8. Funny how the truth sounds so off to the masses. ;)

I wish I had a pic or the wheels. When I was in high school around '68 or 9 I bought a full set of magnesium Indy Mags by Speed Wheel for *25 bucks from one of the older guys. Magnesium wheels were outlawed and he had them on his Starliner. Well that is what he told me anyway, I think he was just changing wheels and wanted the mags gone.

I like dish wheels too by the way. If I could have built my dream car when I was in high school it would have had Ansens all around, fats and skinnys. Unfortunately like most of us that had to work and survive I could only use what someone else was casting off. LOL

*to put this in perspective my one room apt cost me 15 dollars a month.

dana barlow likes this.
  9. thunderplex

thunderplex

Apache Wheels. Made by Appliance.
    [​IMG]

Sting-Ray Wheels. Same as Apache.
    [​IMG]

Apache/Sting-Ray.
    [​IMG]

10. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Righteous as Always !!

Cyclone Kevin likes this.
  11. B1gDaddy

B1gDaddy
    from aladambama

my friend's bulldog loves to pee on these wheels! i wonder how many dogs have peed on these wheels in fifty years?
    IMG_1679.JPG

12. rudestude

rudestude

I thought I would jump back in here with some more wheel ads I found in a 1968 Honest Charley Speed Shop catalog and a 1967 Midwest Auto Specialties catalog...[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Ron Funkhouser, Just Gary and MO_JUNK like this.
  13. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

got 2 15x6 Ansen Top Eliminators on my 61 wagon. I would love to have 2 more 7s or 8s for the back. It has 2 15x8 Corvette rallies on the back now

DSCN3969.JPG DSCN3970.JPG

chevy57dude and falcongeorge like this.
  14. [​IMG]
    Here's an old ad. Mine said Ventura Calif on the back though, not Oakland so maybe mine were older.

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Ron Funkhouser, enloe and bowie like this.
  16. X2 on the Vette. That's as real as it gets right there. Enloe has a nice midyear Vette also. Prime candidate for the TTs!

bowie and enloe like this.
  17. Don West

Don West

not exactly 5 spoke but they are correct vintage and you don't see many motor wheel spyders around spyder1.jpg

falcongeorge likes this.
  18. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Thanks we are trying to get it back on the road this spring. Hoping to take it on our annual "Guy Trip" to Bowling Green for the Hot Rod Reunion

19. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

[​IMG]
    Here it is the day we drug it out of storage after about 27 years

20. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Their FAR from perfect ,just my shade tree efforts really; but I love em'

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  21. There's a Torq Thrust D thread that resurfaced, and I thought about posting these on it. Just to
    show a variant that came along a little later. That thread is specific to the ''D'', and is swaying anyhow. So here's a photo of the T70. Extra ribs on the outside spoke edges, and a NOS set of Daisy spoke caps fit perfectly. The car they're on is just a year too new, though '66 442's sometimes slip in, I won't push it.
    JPEG_20170502_201144_1437860065.jpg

bowie, Ron Funkhouser and enloe like this.
  22. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

These look like T-70Rs to me. Gary

23. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

Halibrands

Attached Files:

24. cs39ford

cs39ford

IMG_1881.JPG IMG_1879.JPG I got this early set of ET wheels

rumblegutz, enloe and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  25. 32 4door

32 4door

26. 32 4door

32 4door

27. jailbar joe

jailbar joe

[​IMG]
    as a kid growing up and reading hot rod magazines i always loved the look of 5 spokes with whitewall and said to myself...one day i will build a rod with....and you know the rest.....this is my present project and is jst about finished
    [​IMG]
    then of course i have my vicky.....just as soon as the current tyres wear down a bit...they too will be replaced with
    w/w's

enloe and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  28. AlaskanMatt

AlaskanMatt

[​IMG]

play hard, drive fast

enloe likes this.
  29. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

If RAQUEL ESCAPES 2016 007.JPG these are wrong then I will just have to carry the burden...

enloe and henryj1951 like this.