Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Realistic car related movies.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by borderboy1971, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Plenty of neat cars in this one

thirtytwo likes this.
  2. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I liked The Worlds Fastest Indian. A friend of mine had his LSR car featured in the movie. When Burt pushed his bike onto the staging lanes there is a white and turquois roadster behind him. They put an umbrella in the seat so you wouldn't see any modern equipment inside.

Spoggie likes this.
  3. It no doubt been mentioned and damn me if I can remember the name of it but there was a real fine moonshiner movie that was as much a car movie as a moonshiner movie and it was probably pretty close to right on as cars go. One guy that was an ex shiner was a roundy round guy and he had a real fine five five. There were more than a few old clapped out early '50s mercs and one sweet Y block powered 55 or 6 Lincoln.

If someone remembers the name of the movie I would be forever in your debt.

The problem with car movies is that damned few are actually car movies, most are good movies with cars. The few that are actually car movies are usually hokey as hell.

Edit damn it: The Movie is called "The Moonshine Highway"

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    Spoggie likes this.
  4. "My Cousin Vinny" Not a real car movie but all of the automotive facts in the court room testimonies were right on. Nothing modified for the sake of drama.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  5. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

I still can't believe that Marisa Tomei won an Academy Award for her performance in that movie. She's a good looker and all that but that was the best supporting role by a woman that whole year? :eek:

tomei.jpg

Bruce Fischer and Jet96 like this.
  6. Lebowski, Dude, as a gentleman, I'm going to side with the lady, whose character knew cars.
    Not that she's a hottie has anything to do with it...

7. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Murphy32 likes this.
  8. Hey wasn't Pink Cadillac a car movie? :D

9. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-3-1_3-39-6.png 1967
    Hello,

The film, A Man and A Woman, was one of the best foreign language films made. It was 1967 and won the Academy Award, the Golden Globes, Best Screenplay, and Best Actress for cool, mysterious, Anouk Aimee.
    upload_2017-3-1_3-40-11.png upload_2017-3-1_3-40-23.png upload_2017-3-1_3-42-1.png upload_2017-3-1_3-42-20.png
    The main theme was relationships, but thrown in was a great story surrounding a car rally in Europe with a 1966 Mustang as the central star.

We were 20 somethings and this movie solidified our lifelong thoughts and friendships. Let alone swooning for the two stars. When the movie came out in 1967, my wife’s (then fiance) family had just purchased a 66 Mustang. When my wife wanted to drive it to college, that notion was nixed by the mean Grinch. The Grinch did not know much about cars, except to own one, but he certainly was not going to let his daughter drive it to college and attract more suitors. Ha! One was enough…

Jnaki

One other thing did stand out for us and many other people. The theme song was played throughout the movie and it must have burned a hole in our collective brains. It won Best Original Score at the Golden Globes. When heard today in an elevator or shopping mall, our thoughts go directly to the film...“A Man and A Woman.”

10. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i've limped a big truck home by using a vice grip on the brakes. i've driven some old dogs--i started in '78--and the brakes all worked that way.

11. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Thunder Road was another great one. Robert Mitchum put his soul into that one.

I always liked Last American Hero with Jeff Bridges.

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  12. Excellent movies. ;)

13. vetteson

vetteson

"Driving Ms. Daisy" fabulous '48 Hudson Commodore

thHJK6RQU9.jpg

and "Badlands", Martin Sheen in the stolen (borrowed) '59 Caddy hardtop,

286925-Badlands00063.jpg

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

For us old timers, "The Big Wheel" 1949, with Mickey Rooney & "To Please A Lady" 1950, with Clark Gable. Some pretty good race footage in both movies.

dan griffin likes this.
  15. The Big Wheel has a stunning array of pre war Indy cars and drivers! A real treat I think, lots of close ups and is very racecar oriented. THREE thumbs up for me!!

dan griffin likes this.
  16. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I like watching Clark Gable assemble and dyno a Offenhauser engine, in To Please A Lady. Lot's of the footage was shot off of Manuel Ayulo's Track Roadster. Manuel Ayulo.jpg

dan griffin likes this.
  17. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

The Big Wheel was on my DVR for quite a while. Thinking I bumped it for Used Cars. Pretty realistic sound effects on that one from both the cars and and the dialogue...Yes, I know it's OT

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

dan griffin likes this.
  18. Never2low

Never2low

You can thank Jive-Bomber (Jay) for that. He's the "Cars" franchise guardian.
    There's an episode of Chasing Classic Cars, where Wayne talks with him about his '29, and about how important it is to keep the little things in the movie correct (for the dads watching).

Edit; Here's a thread about it, with the video.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/hamb-friendly-episode-of-chasing-classic-cars.744472/

Jet96 likes this.
  19. rjones35

rjones35

I finally watched GIANT GILA MONSTER, cool cars, but what a goofy movie.

Victory99 and ROCKER77 like this.
  20. Thumbs down on just about every drag race in every movie ever made. A drag is over in 12 to 10 seconds which seems to be too short for any drama. Your average dimbulb in the movie theater would be "Huh? Wut??" Off camera, in the real world, you don't hold back a gear to bang it at just the right moment to put a fender length on the other guy. There's no time for looking around and talking to your girlfriend, flipping open airplane style switches after you've been passed 25 seconds into the race to burn some nitrous and catch up.

Even that Street Outlaws TV show is obviously staged, multiple takes edited together. There may be actual races with winners and losers but we are shown snippets of more than one trip down the lane edited together.

My favorite not-to-be-believed car movie is Death Proof. The bar scenes are pretty realistic and the car action, if you suspend a little physics, is almost believable, actually more than most of what you'll find.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  21. I grew up in Northern California in the sixties and feel American Grafitti and AG II did the time, location and cars as good as any movie.

j3harleys and rjones35 like this.
  22. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

The Hunter 1980 Steve McQueen's last and arguably best, Steve is obviously driving the '53 Chev convertible 3 on the tree and all, they did some amazingly realistic stunts in the parking tower, and who can fake ripping through a corn field in a brand new Trans Am? Do I feel it's still realistic? maybe not.... but when I was a kid and stumbled across late night TV movies like: The Hunter, Return to Macon County, Hot Rod, White Lightning, 2 Lane Blacktop, Hooper, American Graffiti, Vanishing Point, Gone in 60 Seconds, Dirty Mary Crazy Larry etc. etc. I lived every second on the edge of my seat

23. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

RUSH Ron Howards movie about James Hunt's battle with Niki Lauda for the Formula 1 championship.

lake_harley likes this.
  24. cshades

cshades
    from wi

Any of you guys ever watch Long, Long Trailer with Lucy Ball and Desi? It has some cool scenes with I believe a 40 ford that wouldn't pull the trailer they bought and then they bought a new 50 something merc convert to pull it? I haven't watched it in a long time but it is funny all of the situations they get into pulling a trailer cross country with the not so good highways at the time.

25. Yeah! I remember that one. Funny movie.

The one I always think of is definitely “Gone in 60 Seconds”. There were 93 cars destroyed in that movie. The scene where H.B. Halicki jumped the Mustang, resulting in a broken back, was particularly impressive. You want to talk about being dedicated to your job!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    ROCKER77 likes this.
  26. Mike

Mike

For the movie Mad Max, they actually did build a Pontiac engine with an operational blower using the magnetic clutch pulley. The engine sat high I the car and the hood could not be used. The director didn't like how that set up looked, so they dropped in a 351 Cleveland with a 4bbl and topped it with the fake blower set up.

27. Mike

Mike

I got to see this movie in a theatre on the big screen for the first time this past Tuesday. During the chase scene, especially the shots from inside the Mustang, it felt like I was moving. totally bitchin'. Dodging 707s on the tarmac at SFO was pretty damn cool too. The whole deal was totally awesome.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  28. Mike

Mike

"What you worried about a raccoon in the front seat for? Just get in the car."

Jet96 likes this.
  29. Mike

Mike

Does anyone else know about the "secret" car in American Graffiti?

Just as Milner pulls up next to the Cadillac full of girls, a car crosses the intersection and all that can be seen is a flash of yellow. If you watch it on DVD, if hit pause just before the flash of yellow and then continue on frame by frame, you will see a super bitchin', bright yellow '57 Chevy two door wagon with no front bumper, chrome reverse wheels and blackwalls. Killer machine.

That is the only time that car appears in the movie.

Finding that machine years ago is what gave me the inspiration to pull the front bumper off of my '57 Chevy Sedan Delivery.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  30. rooman

rooman

Where did you get that information? I know quite a few of the people that were involved in the build of the movie cars and I have never heard that story. Real Pontiac engines are in very short supply in Australia as all of the locally built Pontiacs were assembled from Canadian CKD kits and used Chevy running gear. And why would you put a Pontiac in a Ford to start with (especially when the three cars that were purchased for the movie were all V8's to begin with) ? Also the GM style blower is a positive displacement unit and air will not flow through it if the rotors are not turning (and they will not spin on their own due to a high friction coefficient).
    Read what my mates from Street Machine magazine wrote about it here: https://www.streetmachine.com.au/features/1505/the-real-story-of-the-mad-max-xb-gt

Roo

chevy57dude and Nailhead A-V8 like this.