Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Father Son Project (1930 Model A 5 window build)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jake Sippl, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

Did a refresh on the motor. New plugs, wires, distributor cap, thermostat, thermostat gasket, hoses and fan. The previous 5 blade was not rigid enough, so it kept expanding and splitting my hoses. My friend found this air cleaner in the back of his garage. What is it called and what does everyone think? I'm not sure I like it.
    1470883640216.jpg

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    Aaron D. and BenLeBlanc like this.
  2. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

Well. This isn't good... started to develop a bit of a rod knock on the way home from a cruise night yesterday. Pulled the dipstick and the oil level was way down. Upon inspecting it it looks like all the oil leaked out of the filter because the gasket was bad. Hopefully there isn't too much damage. How do you guys find an oil filter to fit a motor in this car with these frame rails the way it is? I provided a picture for assistance. Hoping to god I didn't round the lobes off the cam...
    1471485097182.jpg 1471485130675.jpg 1471485141785.jpg

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  3. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Run a remote oil filter, so you can locate it wherever you want

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Tim likes this.
  4. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

That's a good idea. Got any pictures of where people put theirs?

5. Yep. Remote filter is the ticket.
    Do you know what your steering column is out of?

6. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

It's an Ididit column for a 47-54 Chevy truck that we adapted to fit this car. I actually got the column for $100 used at a swap meet for muscle cars. I'm not a huge fan because it rubs on the spark plug boots, and causes a misfire because of it. Here's the actual page. I guess it's worth a lot more than what I paid for it! haha

https://www.ididitinc.com/i-2504796...black-powder-coated.html?ref=category:1310143

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

You could mount it on the firewall. That's where I seem to see them on hotrods most often, they make cool covers for the filter or you could use an old flathead unit to hide it.

Or admit that it's a running car and has an oil filter and it's right there lol.

That H/ flat air filter is a 90's relic and should probably go back to its garage hiding spot ;)

8. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

I wonder if I could even find a honeycomb unit haha

9. mike bowling

mike bowling

It's a B&M filter ( or a "copy cat")-- kind of "street roddy", 80's looking for a "hot rod".
    Here's one on a buddy's Hemi- he took it off and went with dual quads and a BIG ASSED scoop.( GOOD MOVE)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  10. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

Idk. I don't really like it honestly. It looks goofy

Tim likes this.
  11. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

Like there are so many better options out there is what I'm saying.

12. mike bowling

mike bowling

I made this one by gutting an old Ford oil bath filter, welding the bottom ring off a 6" round filter to it to fit the 4 bbl., got a longer threaded rod, and stacked two 6" dia. filters inside it. Also added a bunch of 1 - 1/2 " dia. holes to the front for plenty of air. I got the old air cleaner at the Swap Meet for $10. bucks

Mustang 302 Ford/ 4 spd. "Funk-mobile"

Attached Files:

quickrack-alan likes this.
  13. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

That's killer!

14. mike bowling

mike bowling

Thanks- can't wait for people to point out all the "mistakes" on that sedan!
    Car ran and drove great, and that's all I ask. Built for FUN , not $7. plastic trophies!

Here's another air cleaner made from a V-8 hubcap with a 10" filter and base- a $10. flea market buy. George Jetson special.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  15. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

Mike you're a constant source of ideas for us younger guys! lol I like it

16. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

So haven't really been on here in awhile, got pretty defeated with the car, after the Woodward Cruise. Engine is a completely loss. Needs a full rebuild. Didn't think that the oil filter gasket leaking that bad would cause as much damage as it did but, as the saying goes, you wins some, you lose some. Once I got it out of the car, I tore it apart, but just basically didn't have enough time to make any real progress on building it back up. I started back up with school, and being a full time college student, running the business side of Warrior Racing (my school's Formula SAE race team), and maintaining a job on top of that, it's pretty hard to find time to work on the coupe. So Dad and I made the executive decision to load her up on to a trailer and take it to our good friend, who owns an engine shop, and he's going to build the motor for us (the right way). So nothing from the engine build is going to get posted on the thread. I guess I'm letting everyone know that I'm not dead, nor is this thread. I'm just a busy college student lol.

I can guarantee many future posts once I get her back. There's still so much to do. I want to get an interior in it, put some cool door panels in, etc. I need to sort out the trans, which shouldn't be too hard considering I'm almost certain it's the linkage. (if I hit a bump hard enough on the freeway, it downshifts from 3rd to 2nd on it's own, so you have to hold the shifter while driving haha) Thanks for staying with me, and following the build. It's so rad to see how many people are into this car and the way I, along with my dad, are building it. Stay tuned!

slv63 and 54reno like this.
  17. mike bowling

mike bowling

Sucks about the motor; another bump in the road.
    Take care of your education, cars are very patient and will wait for you.

You'll have that bad boy up and running for next summer for sure.
    And thanks for your kind words about my ideas to recycle "junk"!

Attached Files:

18. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

Thanks for the encouragement Mike. Yeah it's all about priorities right? You know the funny thing is there's a couple other guys on here around my age, Nathan Stewart (NathanxStewart), and Ben Leblanc (benleblanc1 I believe), that I have become good friends with and have followed their builds. They're getting theirs running and finishing up and I'm getting ready to tear mine down again. Haha

19. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

FYI for anyone interested I will be visiting the engine shop today, and snapping some pictures. I want to get some updated shots, and with the engine basically entirely torn down, it's a good time to do so.

Tim likes this.
  20. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Awesome looking car man. Cool to see another young guy building a hot rod! Hopefully you get it back together soon!

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

22. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

So went to the engine shop today. Safe to say we have a lot of work ahead of us. Whoever built this engine before us put it together dirty, and used several wrong parts. Oh boy. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. 39 Aaron NZ

39 Aaron NZ

Hi Jake, gutted to see the motor apart. But you have done so well considering a year ago the car was in steel with no cowl n fire wall. I'm building a 39 sedan with my dad at the moment, so I know things take time, but it will be well worth it. I look forward to seeing it back on the road. Cheers Aaron.

Sent from my SM-G360G using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

Yeah hopefully it'll be together by May. That's our goal. Running and driving car by the summer. Do you have a build thread for yours? I'd love to see it!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. 39 Aaron NZ

39 Aaron NZ

[​IMG]

I'm new to HAMB, hopefully that will come through. Once I start a thread I will let you know.
    Good luck with your motor.
    Cheers Aaron.

Sent from my SM-G360G using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. gpohl6

gpohl6

Not a comment on the project so much as the father-son aspect of it. Treasure the fact that you both are interested in doing this project together. Neither of my sons has any interest in the auto hobby, so you are privileged to share a mutual interest which will, of necessity, allow you to share time together. Maybe as I approach age 75 (soon) I am more sensitive about that. My guys and now in their 40's and each "lives away" at about a 4 hour drive minimum each way. So sharing time and interests is difficult. Also, I was able to play ice hockey once or twice a year, sometimes more often, with the older son. No, not like a shared auto project but bonding time nonetheless. Well, nowadays I get on the ice with him (usually in Canada!) at most once per year for an hour, and mostly I try to get out of the way! So, enjoy the project whatever it is. The time together is the most important aspect of that deal and of life!

27. Lou39

Lou39
    from Cedar, MI

Hi Jake. I have a very similar project per avatar,i.e. rat rod look, 5L HO, C4. One big difference I'm your senior by 6 decades or so. I've been slowly getting it to some respectability with new door skins, deck lid, and cab corners. One more patch panel and I'm calling it good. This winter I've removed 2 layers of house paint and rustoleum and it will be in primer for the summer local cruises. I had a mini van seat as suggested and it fit perfectly, even used the headrests. I've since replaced it with bomber seats and if you want it its yours.
    The 5L engine is a real learning curve for me as I've been a SBC guy since the '50's. Looks like from one post the fuel pump cam is rubbing the TG housing.
    I've subscribed so keep us posted.

28. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

Thanks! I see your coupe is slightly chopped (I'm going to guess 3 inches). With that being said, what did you do for brackets for your seat?

29. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

Very well said! Thank you ! I can assure you we both are really enjoying this project, and already have another one lined up!

30. Lou39

Lou39
    from Cedar, MI

Hey Jake... The chop is 4"and its amateurish. The pillars are not piecut well. I think 3" is probably easier on the body man. Those beautifully shaped quarter windows are difficult to match lines when chopped also. The seat brackets are 1/8 steel, "C" shaped and bolted to existing weld nuts beneath the seats. ( they replaced barn door hinges that were originally used!!)