Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 36 Ford barn find. Need to get mercury flathead running. Just bought it last week

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 36 Penny Coupe, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

What's wrong with the color? Car looks bitchin, especially cleaned up.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lbcd and Runnin shine like this.
  2. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

transmission is most likely stock or upgraded to a "39" style. you should be able to look through the holes in the floor with a light to see if it has the larger double detent shifter housing of a 39 with the better synchros. there is a part number on top of the forward section of the shifter housing... if it starts with 81A it's a 39 shifter (but not necessarily using the good sychnros) if it starts with 68 it's stock to the car. without pulling the floor up and taking the top off there is really no good way of telling what you have.

mac van pelt has good details to identify these transmissions: vanpeltsales.com

3. 48-760

48-760
    from OH

Appears to be either Ford or Merc 3 speed, could be 36 or later, hard to tell from your photos not enough detail. The Ford and Merc transmission are the same. Check the serial number stamped into the casting, flat spot just above the inspection cover for the clutch area.

4. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

I prefer to use the shifter part number for the id as it usually gives you a better idea whats inside. you could put later gears in a 36 case using a 81a shifter.

it could be any combination of parts inside that thing as so many closed drive combinations are interchangeable. the closed drive truck 3 speed shifters are the same as the 39 passenger models... you can also swap a set of 40-48 passenger gears into a truck case and shifter that was open drive if you use a closed drive rear mount...

pop the top and count the gears... could even have lincoln gears inside..

5. the-rodster

the-rodster

I dig the color, and it would really look nice with some wide whites...

Rich

Runnin shine likes this.
  6. [QUOTE="36 Penny Coupe, post: 11936656, member: ] I would eventually like to paint satin black get a new master cylinder and brake system, and Lower it.[/QUOTE]

Regardless of color. If you paint that thing, you'll ruin what makes it special

Sent from my SM-G900T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. 36 Penny Coupe

36 Penny Coupe
    from VA

Thanks Al. I will check into that.

8. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

on your 6v vs 12v question, just look at the accessories that would be labeled... voltage regulator, horns, coil, lightbulbs... you can run the 6v merc starter on 12v just fine...

nothing wrong with bias ply tires per say... they fit the car well. keep the paint... I actually love the color. bet it would look killer under some neon lights...

9. 36 Penny Coupe

36 Penny Coupe
    from VA

Regardless of color. If you paint that thing, you'll ruin what makes it special

Sent from my SM-G900T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app[/QUOTE]

You are so right. !! After everyone's great reaction i agree on the color. It does make it special.

rjones35, Stogy and Late to the Party like this.
  10. 36 Penny Coupe

36 Penny Coupe
    from VA

Great info. Thank you.

11. 36 Penny Coupe

36 Penny Coupe
    from VA

I will be sure to check it out. Thanks for the info !

12. 36 Penny Coupe

36 Penny Coupe
    from VA

Good advise. Thx

13. Squablow

Squablow

Glad you've decided to keep the paint. The steering wheel is indeed a '57 Ford unit. I wouldn't begrudge you for taking the spare off of the back, but it might be wise to keep it, hang it up on the garage wall and keep it with the car since it's part of the car's history. You can probably make up a clever license plate mount to cover up the holes for the spare tire carrier without ruining the old paint job.

Late to the Party likes this.
  14. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Half of the uglies with the spare tire is the cover. A clean tire and rim with a hub cap on the back does not look as bad. One thing that helps deciding on the rear spare is how much do you what to drive it and how far from home? I have some cars with spares and some without. I have a '35 that I put the spare back on. I hope that the ones with the spares will be the ones with the flat tire.

I agree with others here on the paint. It is period correct and will look good with some wide whites. I would not change it; definitely not satin black.

Late to the Party likes this.
  15. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Awesome car and find! Yeah the paint should stay, you sure won't run into another one that color, especially vintage. Just slow your roll a little, get it safe and smooth, polish and buff it up, get the tire's(bias plys) right, good wheel or cap choice, lower it, then drive the hell out of your initial investment and be happy.
    Congratulations! You may find out that the paint color might garner the most attention of the whole deal.

Shaun1162 likes this.
  16. Great find - imho, I would leave everything alone, get it running, stopping, turning, etc, like it should and just drive it .....

17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:rolleyes: No, NO it would not. White walls suck on pretty much everything. :p

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    49ratfink likes this.
  18. Pull the plugs and fill those cyls with something. MM mystery oil. Diesel and trans fluid whatever you prefer. And pull the oil pan. you will more than likely find some crud and debris in the oil pan.

19. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

Did the interior clean up ok? pics???

Runnin shine likes this.
  20. 34Xracer

34Xracer
    from Iowa

I vote to keep the spare on. Also think that steering wheel might be 56 instead of 57. Brake pedal pad kinda looks like a 56 power brake pad. Love it

Sent from my SM-G935V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. 36 Penny Coupe

36 Penny Coupe
    from VA

Plan to clean it up this weekend. I will be sure to put up some pics.

Runnin shine likes this.
  22. 36 Penny Coupe

36 Penny Coupe
    from VA

Thanks for the comment. I'm hoping the brake booster will work properly. Car has two master cylinders. As I would guess the 56/57 Ford did. Very unique..

23. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

That color, skinny white walls, that interior... Your 36 is so early sixties it's killing me! Keep the color, the spare on the back, all of it. If you need to change things, dress up that mill and start chroming things. The world has plenty of satin black '36s on wide whites that sit too low. You hit paydirt as it sits. I wish my '35 was a quarter as nice!

24. 36 Penny Coupe

36 Penny Coupe
    from VA

Thanks my friend. Its definitely a survivor.

lewk likes this.
  25. 5LK

5LK

[​IMG]

My Dad kinda liked the color in the 90's

Great find! Clean it up and drive the wheel off of it.

Roothawg, Cosmo50, lbcd and 4 others like this.
  26. Love it. Keep the color ad the spare tire cover. Looks so cool.

rjones35 likes this.
  27. atch

atch

thanx. I was just about to chime in begging you to NOT paint that thing flat black. I'm glad you've changed your mind.

28. 36 Penny Coupe

36 Penny Coupe
    from VA

Oh my gosh !!!! It's almost the same color. Amazing. !

Runnin shine likes this.
  29. 5LK

5LK

30. Lucky man, wonderful machine, congrats!!