Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New member new car

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Molinellihornet, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Well installed my master and you fitting. Reused crush washers after I annealed them lol which I learned on YouTube lol . But fluid in pumped the breaks and blew 2 others lines and my new flares leaked lol but kept at it . Bent 2 more new lines and took out and re installed my other lines and really torqued them down and now I have no leaks but still no breaks and a very firm pedal . 2 out of 4 tires have fluid at the bleeder screws so I think I might have a plugged rubber hose

Sent from my SM-G903W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. RMONTY

RMONTY

....or a couple of wheel cylinders gummed up....or brake mechanisms froze up. Time to yank the hubs off and have a look. Don't do anything else until you inspect the innards of the brakes, all 4 wheels. Assume nothing when dealing with brakes. Its your only safety device on that old car!

3. Yeah I'm going to pull the hubs off and check the cylinders . Clean them and see if they need a rebuild. Also clean the shoes and the drum and see where I'm at

koolkemp likes this.
  4. Well I faked up lol took my rad to my shop to try and blow all the shit out . Also filled in with vinegar and water then drained and rinsed with water and baking soda ....got a lot of crud out but I noticed a small leak from a small crack. Well I thought a remember reading of fixing cracks with braise . And since I'm always braising wire rope at work on thought I would try but I failed . Had my oxy ace torch turned way down and still managed to melt a hole . Now I wondering if I should have soldered it .......any advice guys ???? What type of solder should I use

5. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Take an old man's advice. I've had friends in the radiator repair business for a long-long time, and the more you try to DIY the worse it's gonna get.
    Take it to a competent radiator shop, get it rodded out and repaired correctly. A good cooling system is important.

redlineracer42 and koolkemp like this.
  6. RMONTY

RMONTY

Brass patch maybe? Use a small $10 propane torch and lots of pre-tinning flux. If you aren't well versed at soft soldering, do what D.O.M. says above.

7. I definitely agree but I bought I'm not ready to spend 200 plus to tank and re core this rad yet just to get the old girl running . Plus I love learning new things and I think I'm gonna try and patch her her and practice some soldering thanks for the advice DOM

slv63 likes this.
  8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Well at least you're now talking about solder rather than brazing. Also forget about the suggestion to get a propane torch and use the OA torch with a slight "feather",or rich flame. In this case a propane torch is difficult to get the heat exactly where you want it, and since the flame is not as hot, it takes longer to get the spot you want to solder hot and heat is spreading to areas where you don't want it to go!
    If you can find an old scrap radiator and use it for practice you'll be better off than trying to learn on such a rare radiator as on that Hudson. I spent a lot of tome around that radiator shop for lots of years, and believe me it ain't as easy as the guy whose shoulder you're looking over makes it look.
    Good luck.

9. Loose Ctrl likes this.
  10. OK got it !!! Not the prettiest but It's holding . Going to paint the whole thing tomorow

slv63 likes this.
  11. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Great Progress!! I like you are doing everything yourself!! How soon until you start it? we are waiting. HAHA

koolkemp likes this.
  12. I'm guessing 2 months ....fingers crossed

koolkemp likes this.
  13. don daddyo

don daddyo

I really love Hudsons, there are cool customs,happy the way you're doing with it...
    Two of my good buddy here in Quebec. Can. Owned Hudson Hornet 51 and49, check the pictures ...

Attached Files:

Molinellihornet and koolkemp like this.
  14. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

If you have the hole stoppeed up that's all you need.:)
    Never tried MAPP gas, have heard it's hotter than propane. Does it require a different torch?

15. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

Subscribed.
    Doing a 49 Hudson at the moment that im putting a Buick 401 Nailhead in.
    I really should make a thread or something on here.

Like your work. Love your candid photos. cheeky grin of one happy man with his new toy.

16. Thanks I really appreciate it ....I bought this car hoping to touch and fix everything and learn gobs of new stuff along the way.....and please start a build thread ...a hornet with a nail head would be soo cool

17. No I think it's the same style for Mapp or propane . I had it at work so I thought I would try it. Propane I think would be easier to control . Mapp got hot quick like o/a . I was scared of burning another hole thru

18. Okay radiator is done and ready to go back in ....anyone ever put a screen on the outlet to keep out debris ?

19. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

There are coolant filters available that filter the trash out of coolant from a motor block full of crap.

20. I'm thinking maybe of a coolant filter like this on the return line of the heater hose . But how do I filter rad before it gets to the engine

21. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Hornet.Try looking at Marine filters for cooling systems.A bit spendy,BUT they are able to be taken apart and cleaned and replaced.IIRC,they go in the lower hose.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

22. Loose Ctrl

Loose Ctrl
    from Upstate,SC

The one you posted will keep stuff from the engine out of the heater core. I think you want something to keep crap out of the radiator.

I had one of these on my '64.5 Mustang with an inline six. I think they can be found at places like Summit Racing, Jegs, and probably Speedway Motors. You'll need to know your hose size. Most of these can be disassembled and cleaned out with solvent and compressed air.
    Not my pic. Found on the google.
    Inline coolant filter.
    [​IMG]

It seems there are many new styles now. here's a google image search link that may help.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1...0...0i67k1j0i30k1j0i8i30k1j0i24k1.x2sptO951dI

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  23. I am a little late but Welcome to the HAMB. Looks like you are doing fine. Great looking Hornet!

Molinellihornet likes this.
  24. Awsome!!!! That what I want ...maybe both hoses...I think my rad has gunk I don't want in the engine and my engine has gunk I don't want back into the rad lol

Loose Ctrl likes this.
  25. Loose Ctrl

Loose Ctrl
    from Upstate,SC

If you have room, you could run one in the upper and lower hose like the one in the pic below. Just be sure to loosen the caps and burp the air out of them. These would be easier to clean without having to remove it every time you want to check them.

[​IMG]

26. Loose Ctrl

Loose Ctrl
    from Upstate,SC

[​IMG]

All these pics are shamelessly posted from the google.

27. RMONTY

RMONTY

Great effort on the radiator repair. MAPP does burn hotter than propane and you could have gotten it done with propane. I have repaired several radiators using a good ol' benzomatic. Looks like ya done good! Knocking out the "opportunities " one at a time! Progress is progress no matter how fast or slow it's going forward. Carry on!