Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Let's have our own 84th anniversary event for the 40 ford...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moriarity, Feb 10, 2015.

1. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

great thread. i have owned 3 fortys, never throught i would own another, but a good friend offered this to me,full of nos parts. first time in day light since 1957. pretty much rust free. im stoked, hopefully this coming winter we will get started. going flatty and traditional.

Attached Files:

2. Never seen a wooden roof rack before. Love the rest of the car

3. Yeah I guess he's showing off his wood working skills. We can only hope that the surfboards are not just for show. :)

4. ......The other name for surfers..........Shark-bait.:(

lowcoe, Ron Funkhouser and i.rant like this.
  5. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Good looking truck. The crease on the hood is a particularly nice.

6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

7. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-3-8_4-33-11.png upload_2017-3-8_4-32-30.png upload_2017-3-8_4-32-43.png
    Hello,
    I have always liked the 40 Fords. (2 different, but similar looking 40 sedan deliveries: 60’s version flathead, reliable, but, slow as molasses…70’s version fast v8 and nearly finished.)
    upload_2017-3-8_4-33-58.png
    My early introduction was from the Hot Rod/Rod&Custom Mags like most young car nuts. The images were free at the local liquor store’s magazine racks. But, when I went to the Riverside Raceway in 1959, I saw this multi-colored 40 Ford Coupe making some great runs down the strip.

Jnaki

This 40 Ford Coupe at Riverside always reminded me of how backyard hot rods looked in their various stages of builds. Put it together, tune it, make it run well, fine finish the build when it goes fast.

1959 RIVERSIDE RACEWAY 40 FORD MULTI COLOR GAS COUPE

8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I enjoy driving my '40 coupe that was shown early on in this thread after HRP kindly posted it for me since I was having trouble posting pics.
    But I remain terrified of inattentive drivers behind me in traffic, and especially on Xways. People are talking/texting on cell phones, and otherwise paying little attention to their driving. And they are so accustomed to seeing the third brakelight in the center rear of modern cars that they seem to not notice stop lights in the taillights on our rear fenders. Solved this on my roadster with red leds recessed in louvers in deck lid, but no louvers in '40 deck lid and don't want any!
    All I can think of is to somehow fit a bright red led in the upper inner corners of the rear window way up at top where all you can see anyway is the sky if your '40 has any rake at all. These would need to be sealed against the glass so that the light wouldn't show in the car when used at night as this would be sorta distracting I think.
    Anybody got any ideas on this are any other unobtrusive way to add some additional stoplight(s) on the rear of a '40 coupe?

9. socal34

socal34

10. socal34

socal34

11. Andy hung some addl brake lights under his coupe.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

"Anybody got any ideas on this are any other unobtrusive way to add some additional stoplight(s) on the rear of a '40 coupe? " 1347643283847.jpg

I have this license plate frame with the third brake lite in it. I also have a pulsator connected to it so that it flashes rapidly. I also have the led taillight assemblies [wish I could recall the name] that are truly bright. Not just the bulbs, they are complete sealed assemblies. Work great to let those behind me know that I am stopping.

13. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

^^^^^^^^^^^ I have the same taillight assemblies, and a flasher that causes them to flash twice before coming on steady when brakes are applied.
    I like the idea of the license plate frame stoplight also. Where did you get that? And the "pulsator"?

olscrounger likes this.
  14. putz

putz
    from wisc.

on my 40 , the rear bumper stamping of ford laser cut with brake lite attached behind , looks great .
    sorry i don,t know how to load photoes .......

olscrounger likes this.
  15. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

DOM,I did a quick internet search and I found several. Yogis had a nice combination license plate light and third brake light for $42.00. This type will work if you are using a standard size license plate. There are several red LED strip lights available that you can build a bracket for and attach to your year of manufacture plate. I know you are concerned about the red reflection of a rear window mounted brake light. I mounted one in my coupe and I do get some reflection in the window . The advantage to that is I know that I have brake lights showing.

The reason I mention that is that is that I am using a pressure switch and I notice that even though I am applying sufficient pressure to stop the car the light is not always on. So I am reminded to apply a little more pressure to make sure the brake lights are showing.

http://www.yogisinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=16506/prd16506.htm
    [​IMG]

16. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

That is the one that I am using.

17. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I have a Hagan fuel door on my coupe [no gas runs down the fender] and after pulling my fender for repair and paint after hitting a road gator the little magnet that holds the door shut was gone. I looked at Hagans site and sure enough they sell a replacement for $15.00 and for another $15.00 they would ship it to me. I mentioned this to a friend of mine who also has one on his 37. He is one of those with a photographic memory, or it seems like it to me. He mentioned that he was at Lowes looking for cabinet hardware for the house and saw what looked like the same little latch, so he bought one and sure enough it was. So off I went to Lowes and now have a replacement for $5.49. Quite a markup for Hagan. Bet there is lots of stuff like that, but I do not have that photographic memory to identify them.

18. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I think I like the idea of the tag frame light more than the laser cut Ford script into the bumper for 2 reasons.
    The first is that the tag light is up higher and my theory is that drivers are so accustomed to seeing a high mounted center stop light that they'll see this quicker than one down on the bumper.
    Second reason is that I have a cherry oem bumper with a first rate rechrome on it and want to keep it that way!:)

19. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I'm sort of swaying back and forth between the tag bracket and the rear window for the third brake light. May try the tag and if that isn't enough I can add the rear window, although I do see the advantage of seeing the reflection as an advantage after what you said, 39 Guy.
    What size/shape LEDs did you use, where on the widow did you mount them and what sort of bracket did you make?
    Seems to me the rear window might be better also from the standpoint of b eing higher up and more in line with following driver's line of sight.:)

hotrodharry2 likes this.
  20. Yes I hung some ugly ass tractor lights under my 40. :rolleyes::) You really can't see them until you hit the brakes. I just didn't want to add LED's to my 40 because they look too........Magoo! But I'm still thinking about upgrading to some Technostalgia LED for the 40 because they are the best. (Don't tell Moriarity, he might kick me outa here) :)

Here's the accessory lights under the car in action.

IMAG2427crop.jpg

Here they are unlit.

IMG_7041.jpeg

But even with those, I still couldn't prevent this about 18 months ago.

12109283_10207787797683646_8291205819369203427_n.jpg

12088269_10207787795003579_3283274299114452691_n.jpg

21. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

^^^^^^^^^^^^That's just exactly what I'm worried about! People tailgate, so close they prolly can't see lights down under the bumper like that. And they're frigging around with the stereo, texting on their phones, which I see often when I'm driving my truck which is up sorta high so's I can see easily into cars, anything but pay attention to their driving.
    What is a "Technostalgia LED"?

hotrodharry2 likes this.
  22. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Dave check your PM or private conversation box. I was looking for a picture or two of my third brake light to post on here but decided it would be better to send you some directions of how to find the info in my coupe build thread. If it would make you feel a little more comfortable driving your coupe I would go with the third brake light in the window and another on the license plate bracket.

Thinking about this subject reminds me of old cartoon that I think Tom Medley drew many years ago. Young Stroker is driving down the road constantly looking behind him ( I don't think his roadster had a mirror) worried about a cop car was was following him.Next thing you know he has run into the back of someone else because he was to busy checking behind himo_O.

hotrodharry2 likes this.
  23. Here are the LED's in action. The tailights, not the strip he added on the bottom.

[​IMG]

Here's a link. I hope it works.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    exterminator and lothiandon1940 like this.
  24. flat 39

flat 39

I cast this out of aluminum and used a '41 Chevy tail light.
    IMG_0836.JPG

25. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Did some one say anniversary.... RAQUEL ESCAPES 2016 010.JPG

26. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Sam, I found your PM first thing this AM, and I have been over to the thread and looked at the setup you did and I like it, thx for posting it and also, I'm going to have to find some time and read that whole thread, as there's an amazing amount of info in it!
    I note that your light is on the bottom of the window and I think I'd like to go to the top, but that's just a matter of inverting what you did. And I may well decide to do both the window and the tag:)
    OL '55 that's what I thought you were writing about. I bought my '40 already built cause at almost 80 I doubt I would have been able to build a nice coupe from the ground up. Plus it was such a cherry body that the builder used that I knew I'd never find another as nice.
    But I have the same, or at least similar taillights with LEDs in a housing just a little thicker than oem and with no screw on the face. So I think it's the same one.
    Flat 39, you did a nice job on that tag plate for sure! I know nothing about casting aluminum but another member of my club does;) And I have a Bridgeport mill and about 50 years experience as a machinist, so I could mill something similar out of a plate:D
    The HAMB has some great people and several have come forward with great ideas and help on this, and I'm going to take action on this. Thanks again to all involved!

OL 55 and hotrodharry2 like this.
  27. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

3rd Light.jpg My 3rd Brake Light is out of a late 1980s Olds Toronado. The base is made out of wood and upholstered to match the rest of the car. My Stude taillights need all the help they can get. Picture_3238.JPG Picture_3242.JPG

28. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I like your gas pump. We think alike. I have a Wayne 70 pump and a 40 coupe.