Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Most appealing bed length?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fourspeedwagon, Feb 28, 2017.

1. The deal is that it is entirely dependent on the vehicle. If you think that the stock deuce looks bad you should take a gander at this AD truck.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

fourspeedwagon and jeffd1988 like this.
  2. 1.618

fourspeedwagon likes this.
  3. stimpy

stimpy

the back is ussually deterimined by where the springs end , but what side style is it ??? to me that makes a big difference , if its a fleetside , the wheels more to the back , if this a step side somewhat centered or forward , if its a box ( bobber ) then centered . and remember the shorter the wheel base the stiffer the ride and more weight on the steer axle ( if your using it for moving stuff )

4. Most appealing bed length?

Obligatory smart arse reply..I like mine King Size! :D HRP

5. Being an AD the bed should be the same as what Beansie posted which makes it obvious why I'm chopping it down to size!
    I'll come back to this thread with what I come up with.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. I am not certain but I think on the long bed AD the wheel base is a little longer too. you may end up moving the wheels forward a little bit as well.

The long bed F-1 is really out of proportion, the bed hangs way out behind the wheels as I recall. Its been a while since I saw one but they are really out of proportion.

7. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

I like the look of this truck.

Sent from my Z981 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

That one does look funny. One reason might be because of it's lower stance, and they put little tires on it.

Is that a 9' bed? When I look at Advance Design long beds, they don't all have that much overhang behind the fender.

9. Well that one is a '54 and a 9 foot bed was optional (as I recall) but even an 8 foot bed doesn't look good on one. It is just opinion on my part but I don't think that step side and long bed should be used in the same county.

10. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

That sounds like a good plan. Probably keep the bed sides a little narrower than the back of the cab. I think it would look good if the rear fenders ended up about 50% (give or take) wider than original. Double wide fenders would look a little extreme, but that's probably how it would have been done When they built a dually pickup back in the day.

Of course, you'll want a minimum of 48" between the whee wells so you can still haul a sheet of plywood etc.

11. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

You can't apply what looks good on a '32 to an AD truck. They are too different. AD trucks had more space in front of the fender than behind on long beds. I would try to match those original proportions. The big wheels and duals will make the bed look smaller in comparison than it looks on a regular pickup.

A practical consideration is whether you would like to carry a spare tire on the side of the bed. If so, tire size will determine how much room to save yourself.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

California King.

13. I think I wouldn't directly compare an AD with a 32, but I do think there must be some crossover in proportion.
    Here's a pic of a nice truck that was parked in the lot at my work last year. Didn't measure of course but she's a looonng dog. Nice truck and not all that often seen all done with that long of a bed.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

bct, jeffd1988 and e z i like this.
  14. This is a 9 foot bed.
    Black and lowered makes stuff look long
    image.jpeg

15. Model A bed shortened 6" to put the fender close to the center of the bed.
    [​IMG]

16. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

17. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Too long in that dress.

18. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

That looks perfect, and more interesting to me than 1/2-tons you see all the time. Most probably disagree with me and favor sport trucks to real trucks.

19. A Boner

A Boner

Stock length looks too long.....most shortened beds look too short to my eye (sort of cut off looking), so somewhere inbetween the two I guess.

20. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

On the 9' bed i think the back of the rear fender's needs to be extended down as low as the running boards. Then a filler panel on back and rap around across the back with the rear bumper to come down as low as the front bumper. There will be someone that understands my some what rambling comment.

21. [​IMG]

As promised, I'm slow as molasses. Between my 2 full time jobs and raising twins- Excuses, I know.

I pulled the flatbed off and propped a bedside up- looks like I'll be shortening the chassis. Thinking between 16 and 20 inches will be coming out- keep in mind this is going to be staying a dually hauler, not a proper "hot rod".
    The other dimension I'm working out next is the width. I think it's going to be widened a few inches so that the outer tire will be in the fender and a slight wheel well "tub" in the bed for the inner tire. Running boards are going to have to be custom no matter what so no concern there.

"I'm not certain that I understand everything I know about that"

22. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

On 50's and up trucks. Short bed pickup vs long bed pickup. Just like a 2 door car vs a Grandmother's 4 door. At least that's how it is here among my friends. That said. Your truck, your time, your money. Do what you want.

23. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

On the 47-54 chevy trucks the 9 foot bed was on one ton trucks, the slightly less than 8 foot beds were 3/4 ton and the 6 foot beds were 1/2 tons. There are reports of 1/2 ton trucks made for the government
    with the 3/4 ton beds, mostly said to be gmc.s or special order government trucks. One thing that effects the look of the longer beds is the additional brace on the side, when removed as on the black truck it
    visually makes it look longer.

24. An easy way to do it is get some one inch wide tape and lay it out one inch apart vertically on the bed side before and after the fender. Then take a side profile photo, enter that photo in your photoshop and shorten the bed until you like what you see.
    The photo will give you the illusion of standing far away which is much better than standing close. Once the length is determined on the computer screen you can count the pieces of tape that are left which gives you an exact figure. Subtract that figure from your original and bam, your answer to how much should I shorten.

25. gene-koning

gene-koning

If it will be a work truck that actually hauls stuff, the front of the bed being slightly longer works better. Standard length Dodge step side beds were 7 1/2' long, with the front about 6" longer then the back.
    I think the bed side in your picture is too short height wise, and I think you need to add a filler to go down to at least the center of the wheels (or the bottom of the fenders), both in front of and behind the rear fenders.
    Picture of my Dodge. Gene

Attached Files: