Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone else having problems with Patricks Antique Truck Parts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ckemp03, Nov 19, 2011.

1. slack

slack

Based on my life experience, this is what usually happens; Someone has a vision for a business. They act on it and it becomes a beautiful thing and bears good fruit because they genuinely care. Then, the business owner retires and either the children take over or they sell. In either case the "genuine care" goes out the window and the business becomes simply a means to an end for the new owner. Don't know what happened here but I have seen this happen enough times to make it common.

2. verde742

verde742

20 years ago, when I met Patrick he had retired from U.S.A.F. and this was going be his retirement. He must have "rescued" 50/100 '48-"54 Chev PU, Panels, and I wanted to buy one. Nope !! Going to fix them up, one at a time and sell, only done and completely restored..
    Its my retirement"
    "End of conversation, / "What else ya want? " Just the one PU third row over 4th one down...
    "Nope. Come back when its done" I left. Fast forward, 2 years ago went there. "We got parts. what do you want"? Can I look around? " Tell me what you want, I will tell you if we got it."
    Considerably smaller back lot and very few trucks.. Bought some High priced parts..
    I will Never Buy from, or go there again...

Golffanman likes this.
  3. There are always two sides to any story.
    When you read the posts here, obviously, you're hearing one side of the story, which may be good or bad comments. Comments may be factual or shaded, as well.
    Patricks has been around for a long time, still the original owner. It's not the second or third generation now stealing every nickel out of the business.
    For me, my ongoing relationship with Patricks has been a good one.
    I'll continue to use their services, when needed.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  4. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At one time, Patrick's was one of the leading suppliers of flathead Ford and Chevy/GMC 6 engine parts, and remember his move from Colorado to Casa Grande with a huge collection of trucks and parts. I spent some time at his business in the early '90s while I was working at the nearby Nissan test facility, and rode/drove his "test" pickup with his very well done Saginaw (I think?) 4-speed conversion. He was planning on doing full turn key builds, and possibly new steel '48-'54 cabs. He treated me very well during the visit, as well as several future flathead parts purchases.
    Sorry to hear things may not be going well, but felt everyone should know how he and his business used to be.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  5. 5window

5window

Well, since you've got a good relationship with Patrick's, get him on here to refute the accusations. When was the last time you dealt with them? There has not been ONE even decent transaction documented in recent years. How do you explain taking money from someone's credit card, stalling them until it's too late to file a claim, never sending the parts and then refusing to give a refund? What possible excuse could there be-and not just a mistake or oversite-there's more than one story like that here. Boy, you sure are naive.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    ace5043, Greg Forbis and gas pumper like this.
  6. Naïve? Because I've not had problems ? You're mad at me because I've not had problems ? OK, if you say so, it must be true.

7. 5window

5window

Oh, I really don't have a dog in this fight and I am glad your experience, whenever it was, was a good one. But, in spite of your experience, and those of others (mostly years ago), it's difficult to deny the rotten treatments related here and anyone would be well advised to research things further before sending unsecured funds. Sad, because it sounds like it once was a very cool source.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    gas pumper likes this.
  8. David Ridgway

David Ridgway

Just been looking for places to give feedback on Patrick's and found this thread. I am amazed that it has been going on so long and they are still in business. Like many people I used them a few years back and had no issues. It seems like they have just given up altogether now.

I placed an order last September, payment was taken in full for several thousand $$$s. The parts were to be shipped to the UK to re-build the engine on what was supposed to be our promotional truck for our new business. After several months and a lot of chasing I received some of the items, no delivery note but luckily I made a note of exactly what was there. More chasing on both email and phone and received another parcel 6 months after payment was taken. We are now 8 months+ from payment date and I am still waiting for several expensive items, including dual carb kit, dress up kit and an AC kit.

I have tried being nice and now I am going to have to try the hard way to get them to either give me a refund or send my goods. I can go through the credit card company but being honest this has gone past the point of just money, these people need to be stopped, they are stealing on what looks like a regular basis and don't deserve to be let of just because they used to give service and are "nice" people.

I know this post will probably not help me to get refunded but hopefully it will go some way to warn others about using this company. They should just retire and give up!

Golffanman, gas pumper and Marcia like this.
  9. Greg Forbis

Greg Forbis

This so called business is a fraudulent scam. I ordered $890 in parts and advised them that time was of the essence. These nice people assured me that everything would arrive in "about a week." They immediately charged my credit card. After 10 days I called and was advised that they were waiting on piston rings and only a day or two more. The next week I called and was told they were waiting on main bearings. The next week it was camshaft and lifters. After a month I had enough and called and canceled the order. I requested they reverse the charges on my credit card, however good ole Patrick insisted on mailing me a check for the full amount. He promised that it would be mailed as soon as we got off the phone. Of course I have not received a check. I realize it is a bit after the fact, but I started doing research on Patrick's and found numerous people who have been months without receiving any parts and he refuses to refund any money. Even his own Facebook page has people upset and complaining. Please do not buy anything from Patrick's. What he is doing is fraudulent and criminal.

Golffanman likes this.
  10. Greg Forbis

Greg Forbis

I got my money back! I called my credit card company and reported them to the fraud department. Within 5 minutes into the conversation, they agreed that it was indeed a fraud and would credit may account. They said it would take 3-5 days to show up on my statement. After a couple days I received a 100% credit to my account. The only downside is they canceled my card and issued me a new one. Within a few hours, I received a call from Patrick. He told me that he has a certified check that he would overnight to me and begged me to cancel the fraud charge. Apparently he is in big trouble with MasterCard and they probably will not longer do business with him. I told him that I could not cancel the fraud charge as MasterCard had already immediately canceled my card.

Golffanman likes this.
  11. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Credit cards are not supposed to be charged until the item(s) ship, afaik. This is a red flag. Best to learn how chargebacks work before it becomes an issue. As I recall they won't initiate one until 30 days has passed. This is a good example why paying by cash or check is a real problem in stuff like this, where someone across the country (or the world) is expected to perform.

Bill Nabors likes this.
  12. 29tons

29tons

I am dealing with patricks right now . The parts where suppose to come 3 weeks ago I called again the lady said it would be another week. that week came and went no parts. I called asked to speek to Patrick and told him the parts had not came yet he said he would call back no calls days later I called and got the lady she said that he called but I did not answer my phone I explained that I checked my phone for missed calls and there where none.I also gave her the number again she said thats the number they have She said I will have him call you. still no calls I dont know what to do they have my money but I need the parts to keep moving with my project should I order them elsewhere and eat it With no return call I dont know if parts are coming or whats going on

13. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Have your CC company reverse the charges. Easy peasey.

14. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I dealt with them about 20 years ago and had great service but its a shame to hear about it going down hill.

15. Bamalam

Bamalam

Just thought I would update that Patrick's is still up to the same old thing. I ordered parts in June of 2016 and every time I talk to Patrick or Danyse they are the sweetest people that you will ever meet. However they still are shipping my parts "next week", and won't refund my money. These aren't just specialty parts either, Sure headers and intakes, but also weather stripping and water pumps. If Patrick's was a legit business at one time, he no longer is anything but a crook now.

16. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I ordered exhaust manifolds for a friend's Chevy 6 from Patrick's, had 'em in 3 days.
    This was in '98, iirc...

17. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"I ordered exhaust manifolds for a friend's Chevy 6 from Patrick's, had 'em in 3 days.
    This was in '98, iirc..."

No offense, but I don't think your experience is very relevant - that was 20-years ago !!

18. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

I realize this is an old thread that's resurfaced some. Yet, I understand how it is to deal with backordered automotive items on a regular basis but realistically a month is an ample amount of time to receive said item, 2 months & still no parts ? I'm starting to worry. It sounds like these problem arises when no credit is issued in a timely manner. The proper way of charging a credit card is ONLY when it's ready to ship. A deposit maybe justified. Pre payments to me are extremely a no no for backorder items. No matter how much they might cost, a risk & the backbone of owning your own business associated with great customer service. On a past good note I've bought probably a grand worth of parts from them & yes some were backordered (2 months) I eventually got them. They were great to deal with & this was about 4-5 years ago. So, I had a few good transactions with them & it's sad to hear of you guys legitimate credit card beefs. I kind of got the idea their credit card machine might've been an old 1980s manual job back then. Either way I still had a pleasant experience & hope you guys seeking due credit get the credit back on your cards asap! :( Flux

19. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. I purchased several thousand $ in items late 2013 and early 2014 without problems. Then around May 2014 I ordered the Wayne cover set & still do not have it. Many phone calls & lies later about going to issue a refund led to nothing.
    They turned into total crooks.
    My opinion & I'm stikin to it. Jimmie

20. RMONTY

RMONTY

I ordered a cam for my 235 and was told for weeks on end I would have it "in a New York minute" by Patrick himself. When I did get Phillip on the phone I never got so tired of being called "friend" in all my life, then he would put me on hold and Patrick would get on the line and lie through his teeth. "Oh they just got the blanks in to grind those cams!" I knew he used Delta so I called up there and could never get a straight answer once he knew I was buying through Patrick's. I didn't need the cam right when I ordered it, and as I told Patrick, if you just would have told me it was 4 months out I could have used that money for something else until the cams were in. His reply was "I will take care of you on the next thing you need! I know how to treat a friend!" Well he isn't getting the chance to treat me any kind of way but done with it all. Beware is all I will say. He will lie and sell you parts he can't deliver at the time of sale and then try to play Mr. Nice Guy.

21. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Several months ago I ordered some chrome acorn caps for the heads and manifold on my 8ba from Patrick's. Parts came in a timely manner and he even gave me a dealer discount just because I guess. BUT the next day after I received the parts my credit card was compromised. Several charges for Apple Itunes I never made. CC company reversed the charges and cancelled the card. I hadn't used the card for another transactions for months. Needless to say no more orders from Patrick's from me.

22. 5window

5window

This is all so very sad, but, unfortunately appears to be the pattern now. Of course, we are still all waiting for Patrick's to appear and explain this all. Best advice is to always do a HAMB and internet search before you order from a new company. As my dad always told me when I went into business-you are only as good as the next customer.

23. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

This is what typically happens when the owner(s) of a business don't bother to build up working capital over time. The money crunch may come quick, or it may take years depending on business cycles, but the crunch comes without fail when there's no supply of ready cash to back the business.

To be clear, a business with no operating capital has no option but to operate off its customers' money. It goes like this..... Get order and money from customer. Use customer's money to buy the goods customer has ordered. Wait for parts to be shipped in or even manufactured to order. Ship parts to customer. But there are problems that always come up with this model.

Delivery to the customer is slow, and that affects sales over time. Every order is small volume, so the business doesn't get the lowest prices from vendors. Margins are further reduced by the fact that there's freight costs on every incoming order that far exceed normal discounted LTL carrier rates. Each of these orders involves labor costs for both ordering and receiving. Vendors become wary of businesses who can't seem to afford more than nickel and dime orders, so they tighten credit to protect themselves if the business goes belly up. The business fails to make timely payments on invoices a couple times, and the vendor changes their terms from Net 30 to COD. Most anyone can see where this is headed, and it sure ain't upward.

Seems like anyone who's been in business for 35 yrs should have a good chunk of money in the bank. And they should, but that all depends on the owner's knowledge of how to run a business and his own personal spending habits. Imagine if the owner of this business had just put away an extra $100/week over his time in business for operating capital. Disallowing any interest or other benefits, he'd have about $180,000 in cash and/or inventory that he obviously doesn't have today. He could have a good stock of manifolds and headers and dress up kits all on the shelf and ready to ship. Bought in best price quantities and shipped in at bulk rates. Order and payment comes in. Ship it out to a satisfied customer and make the max profit.

Its not complicated, but most businesses eventually fail because the owner can't grasp the fact that a business runs on money and goodwill comes from delivering the goods or services to the customer. It's not the customer's responsibility to finance my business via advance credit card payments. I've been self employed for a long time, and figured out years ago that customers don't care about being my friend or buddy or any of the rest of that glad handing and sunshine pumping bullshit. They want what they paid for and want it when it was promised. I can't see any reason for them to expect less.

24. Maybe he started using meth....:eek:

Sounds like the guy started out as a decent fella, served his country, started a fine business, and then he got old and senile.
    Nah, you can't steal from this many people and put it down to drug use, or decrepitness.

He must know what's going on.:(

25. Ebbspeed

Ebbspeed

Sorry to hear about this. I built a 302 Jimmy in about 2002, and bought all my parts from Patricks. Maybe it was because I was an Inliner club member, like him, he dealt with me personally, I recieved all my parts and a wealth of tech info from him too. On vacation we stopped by the shop, he gave me a tour and a ride in his Jimmy powered Chev truck. I am sorry to hear of the problems.

26. 5window

5window

Glad it worked out for you. How long ago was your experience?

27. Ebbspeed

Ebbspeed

This was 2002. I am doing another Jimmy engine and I was planning to give them a call for pistons.

28. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

After reading of other peoples problems with Patrick,s.Why would you try and order pistons from them?

clem likes this.
  29. Ebbspeed

Ebbspeed

The pistons are made by Arias. Arias won't make them using Patrick's specs without his consent. I thought I might ask him for it.

30. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Brian, tell Arias to look at this thread, maybe they'll bend the rules a little.