Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

So, ya, I got the car back together this weekend! We did the Buick drums on F-2 backing plates, converted those from single plane operation to the more common dual sided wheel cylinder and self energizing system, re-plumbed the front of the car, exorcised the little aluminum '90s clamps for Addel type clamps, added brake line tabs for the first time in the car's existence, (the guys I built the chassis for swear they are not needed... Yup.) Laid some ground work for the new headlight wiring and junction box. Doesn't look that different, but sure feels good to have it back on the road.

Just in time for today's torrential rain....

20170227_103037.jpg

dana barlow, Sancho, a boner and 12 others like this.
  2. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Great look Chip. Is everybody paying attention?

need louvers ? likes this.
  3. Yes Gary.:) JW

loudbang likes this.
  4. nobux

nobux

Ha! I bolted on a pair of VW Bug shocks last Thursday! I can now cycle the rear suspension with one hand, instead of the full-on body slam the last ones required. I ran across posts by MG guys using them to replace the factory lever actions and figured the car weights were similar....

Car's looking good Chip!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    loudbang, t-rod and need louvers ? like this.
  5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Nobux, did you fab your windshield posts or are they after market? I like the angle, but so far, the only ones I've found, the angle is too much for my liking. Yours look perfect.

loudbang likes this.
  6. nobux

nobux

Fred, they are original Model T windshield posts that I shortened and then pie cut to get the angle I wanted. I had to heat and bend them to fit my body. I also slimmed the bottoms down to stay off the body line. I have a lot of time in those stupid things.

Years ago, I tried a pair of Total Performance laid back posts. I sold them on Ebay within a week. Like you, I found the angle WAY too extreme.

Just watch Ebay or swap meets for a crusty pair of originals. You're going to do some modifying, so they don't need to be mint. You're probably going to have to cut down a frame, because no off the shelf one will likely fit. For my latest one, I bought a NOS Total Performance one from Speedway: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Garag...rsary-Windshield-Frame-40-1-2-Inch,81773.html for $90. It came in a Total box, with the aluminum slugs and stainless caps. I cut 2 1/4" out of the center and welded it back up. This way I can swap back and forth between the 10.5" and 14" windshields. In reality, the old one will most likely sit in the rafters:rolleyes:.

loudbang and tfeverfred like this.
  7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Well.... I guess I have weak will power. I ordered my front brake flex line a fittings. Yea, I was saving for wheels and tires, but the price was right and I'll have something to do Friday.

9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Speaking of tires, I just found out that Fed -ex dropped off my rear tires today so they will be waiting for me when I get home.
    I had originally ordered 5.00 -16 and 7.50 -16 and decided that the 7.50-16s were too tall compared to the 5.00-16.

So, Summit was awesome, they paid for return shipping and sent me out a pair of 7.00-16 which will be much better.
    Excelsior Stahl sport radials, nice tires.
    They will look nice mounted on the WV Gennie 14 series wheels. :cool:

loudbang and tfeverfred like this.
  10. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

I traded some stuff around and ended up with a basket case. Had some time to start fitting up the body a bit.
    Any guesses on the year?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

'23-'24 or '25.

need louvers ? and tfeverfred like this.
  12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yup.

13. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

So do I show my progress in this thread? or start a build thread?

loudbang likes this.
  14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Freedom. Do both. Personally, going with a real steel body, I'd post in the "Traditional" section, but it'll fit here and there. Shit, man.....do both. I'm gonna follow either way. I just admire folks who are doing something rather than just dreaming and making excuses.

Blue One likes this.
  15. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

Hahahahah!...
    I think I met you one time and maybe the hoedown or the burnout., I hung out with RichardD when I lived in Houston, but don't hold that against me!
    The dreaming and excuses... Ive been draggin around a 32 5 window chevy since 08....

AndersF, loudbang and tfeverfred like this.
  16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Oh... SHIT! Now, I have a fucking REP!? Yea, me and Rich would meet at shows in the Houston area. I think it was "Hoedown". I was hanging with the "H-Bomb's" car club.

So, back on topic...... do both, man. I think your build deserves a thread. And when weird shit happens, post it here....or there.

P.S. I speak my mind. My dad gave me that gene.

17. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

That's not a bad gene! That way everyone knows what you really think and doesn't have to try to guess.

loudbang likes this.
  18. I think that in your collecting, you ended up with parts from different years. The cowl does look like a '23-25, as stated by others. But the center section in the back is a '15-'22. The horizontal rib on that panel is lower than the '23-25's to fit with the earlier, lower turtle.

loudbang likes this.
  19. nobux

nobux

The VW Bug shocks did the trick. The combination of a softer, lined spring, along with shocks that actually compress made a world of difference. I took it to the store for milk and intentionally hit every bump that I used to swerve to avoid. Rides pretty good.

20. RodStRace

RodStRace

There was a question about Norm's bucket, specifically the shifter in a picture, circled and everything.
    I thought it was this thread, but didn't see it here and there are 3 other T bucket/roadster threads going now, so I'll just leave this here..,
    https://selvedgeyard.com/2009/05/24/the-great-1950s-t-bucket-rod-rivalry/

[​IMG]
    Chip, this will just give your other half more ammo on the tall shifter in your bucket.
    EDIT and HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CHIP! Since that thread says "
    (You have insufficient privileges to reply here.)"!:eek:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Sad news, guys. I broke my right hand a week and a half ago. I'm right handed. I have not been able to work and bills are piling up. BUT..... I'll be okay. So, my project is on hold. I'll get back later. I couldn't pay my whole internet bill, so I don't want to waste data whining. IMG_1701.JPG

22. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Oh Fuck Fred. Keep us posted.

tfeverfred likes this.
  23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Shit, Rebel, in a couple days I'll be left handed too.:)

Blue One, AndersF, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  24. Heal well Fred, I can sympathise with you on that. JW

Blue One, AndersF and loudbang like this.
  25. loudbang

loudbang

That sucks Fred.

Blue One and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  26. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:( Oh crap Fred,that sucks.BTDT myself.Here`s best wishes for speedy recovery.
    Leo

Blue One, loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  27. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

that looks like a boxers fracture....good luck

loudbang likes this.
  28. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

29. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

hey, PHIL.........THANXXXXXXXXXXXX

30. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

no, not bad..my son had one on the last bone in the hand called boxer fracture
    its going to be good

just meant good luck with going forward, it all gets better

loudbang likes this.