Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Panhard Bar Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atch, Feb 28, 2017.

1. atch

atch

I don't have any projects that will use/need a panhard bar. I just got to thinking about this while perusing other threads.

As far as I know every panhard bar I've ever seen goes from one frame rail to the center of the rear end. Have you ever seen (or thought of using) a panhard bar that goes from one side of the frame to the other side of the rear housing, at or near the other spring mounting point?

I ask because the arc would be fewer degrees and the side-to-side motion of the rear would be even less than if mounted to the center of the rear.

Is it a moot point because the side-to-side motion of the arc is just not enough to worry about?

Dino 64 likes this.
  2. trollst

trollst

You are correct, the longer the bar, the better, I make mine full length, although in a hot rod with limited suspension travel, it don't make a lot of difference.

dana barlow likes this.
  3. Fordors

Fordors

I have one like you describe on my coupe. When I built the chassis in the mid-'70's I put a '64 Chevy rear end under it and made the bar as long as I could, and for the reasons you describe.
    The 9" rear with the bolt on pinion support made the short bar pretty much a no brainer and like trollst said they likely work just as well.

4. kbgreen

kbgreen
    1. Georgia Hambers

The motion of the panhard bar will cause a lateral (side to side) displacement between the axle and framebody. The longer the radius or length of the panhard bar the smaller the lateral displacement. I've made a crude diagram to illustrate that. Hope this helps. Panhard bar.jpg

dana barlow likes this.

5. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

In race cars,sports or oval an off road it matters. In a hotrod with maybe 3in. of movemint it's find to be around a foot or so. If you have the room to run a long bar its a little better,yet you'll never feel it,if ya only have a few in. up n down anyway. Try to have bar level to ground,not like some drawing at angle.

6. models916

models916

58-64 full size chevy has it

7. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Bottom line:
    1) TRY TO MAKE THE PANARD BAR AS LONG AS POSSIBLE.

2) MAKE THE PANARD BAR AS CLOSE TO PARALLEL TO THE GROUND AT RIDE HEIGHT AS POSSIBLE.

If you want ZERO translational chassis movement when the suspension cycles consider a WATTS linkage. This may be the best solution for "road course" handling characteristics, if that is a priority for you.

8. alchemy

alchemy

When Henry Ford first installed panhard bars (around 1946ish) he made them as long as he could.

9. My buddy has a short one on his Roadster. Frame to Axle center. Every time he hits a bump you can see the body/frame dart one way or the other. Rear end does not move body and chassis does.

Dean Lowe likes this.
  10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I think the short ones are mostly aftermarket, designed to go where there are already some bolts...look at the ones made for '28-34 Ford fronts, 9" rear ends. OEMs tend to be long, finicky racers go long or use tricky designs that nearly eliminate undesirable motion. With long ones and normal suspension travel, lateral motion is pretty much theoretical.

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Not traditional but an example nonetheless.

IMG_20170228_100409.jpg

biggeorge, Chavezk21 and dana barlow like this.
  12. I try to build them as long as possible and level when the car is at ride height. Many will disagree with that but it works for me.

13. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

you won't hear a disagreement from me... that's the correct way to do it.

clem likes this.
  14. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

Or you could go the complicated way and do a watts link setup.
    0601sr_15_zhot_rod_rearend_zps7371b4e9.jpg

15. AndersF

AndersF

This is how i made mine.
    To clear the axle i mounted it in a angle in front of the axle.
    Should work just fine.
    [​IMG]

Chavezk21 likes this.
  16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am all about Watt's links these days.

17. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

atch -

You are correct...in ANY car, they need the longest bar that can be squeezed in. Unless you like the tires rubbing on the inner fenders, the body swaying to and fro...
    Much of the reason for the short bars is space. In that case, like two of my cars, I run a wishbone device, which I have in my 54 Stude Wagon with a Quick-Change and my hot rod 60 Lark with the 9" in the back. No arch's to be concerned with, always centered.
    There's a couple others that keep things centered also.

Mike

18. This is my solution, long and low mounted. Works perfectly ! chassi.jpg

Andy, biggeorge, 34toddster and 3 others like this.
  19. Exactly right Fuzzy. I first ran a TCI panhard set up on the rear of me RPU. It did just what you described. A very unsettling feeling. I lengthened the bar and made a mount on the 4 bar attachment on the opposite side of the frame mount. A complete change. Now 60mph bumps through a large curve are not worry some anymore. No unwanted lane changes.

Andy likes this.
  20. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Panhard bars also set the roll center so don't just mount them where where they fit easily vertically.. there are other things to consider to make sure that it handles well

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Andy and Ned Ludd like this.
  21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Handling? Roll center? That's crazy-talk for most hot rodders. ;)

grumpy65, Just Gary and Ned Ludd like this.
  22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Like 1-800.
    Universal bolt-on kit.
    No modifications.
    No holes to drill, uses existing holes.
    Shipping included.
    Six months same as cash.
    Hello, is this The Hoffman Group.

23. torquearm22 (2).jpg

torquearm20 (2).jpg
    Check, and check! Bit of extra work to find the sweet spot where there is clearance thru' full suspension travel, but on a low car running skirts the least sideways movement the better.

Bear:)

JOYFLEA, mgtstumpy, mkebaird and 6 others like this.
  24. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

mgtstumpy and Just Gary like this.
  25. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  26. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

So... mount the panhard bar as low / level as possible? Gary

27. Find a Buick , pre '62. Check them out. Probably others that had coil spring rear suspension.

Ben

biggeorge likes this.
  28. The reason the pitman should be as low as possible is to lower the rear roll center.
    Pictures show better than words: :cool:
    rear_suspension_design+panhard_bar.jpg roll axis.png

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you are obstinate, diligent, and have the right combination of parts, it is possible to have at least a front (IFS) roll center that is below ground.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    Just Gary likes this.
  30. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I believe LOW roll center allows MORE roll for a given lateral input. That has some uses in things like dirt track cars, but seems to me high is more generally desirable. Did you know that the roll center in a 1953 Chevrolet has a Chinese part number?