Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The blue 32ish model a at Detroit.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSibley, Feb 27, 2017.

1. JimSibley

JimSibley

awesome car, but, is it just me or is it a total rip off of Basses car? Either way, I love the look of those cars.

2. A picture here would be beneficial.:)

hipster, 3340, lothianwilly71 and 2 others like this.
  3. 51box

51box
    from MA

4. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

30-31 with 32windshield.looks good.i believe bass'car is a29

slimcat7m3 likes this.

5. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

6. Looks like VW gulf blue

7. wex65

wex65
    from WV

I took this shot which isn't great due to light flare etc but it is pretty much the color I remember from seeing the car this weekend. More a green-blue than blue. IMG_4685.JPG

8. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Those wheels have a plastic look to them. Yuk.
    The rest I like.

9. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

IMG_4908.JPG Wex65 is right, it was more of a green-gray-blue.

hipster, kiwijeff and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. Look bent to me :(

fol, hipster, falcongeorge and 8 others like this.
  11. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

The MEL powered Model A in the Ross Engines booth (Built by Hilton Hot Rods, I Think) is a better looking hot rod in my eyes, but then it wasn't competing for the Riddler.

[​IMG]

Thanks to Tim Boyd for the picture.

hipster, T-roaster, ls1yj and 6 others like this.
  12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I actually dig the wheels, but I bet he didn't buy them at the swap meet.
    You won't win the Ridler with red painted steelies!

hipster and Montana1 like this.
  13. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Awesome build, loving that Lincoln motor.

Nice shot, he managed to catch the painter on the left (Russ from North Jersey Kustoms) and motor builder center (Tony from Ross Racing Engines) along with myself on the right. I spent the weekend gazing wistfully at the cars on the Ross Racing/Hilton Hot Rods stand. Top notch builds as ever.

Dino 64, Jet96 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. This is just my opinion but, a '32 is a '32 and a Model A is a Model A and they each have their good points. Myself, I really like Model A's, probably even more than '32's. That said, when folks start mixing up the styling cues of the two something inherently gets lost. When you flush fit the doors of a Model A (or God forbid suicide them) or remove the visor and put a '32 windscreen in there, the charm of the Model A gets lost in the process. I can accept the use of a '32 firewall for spatial reasons but please, don't ruin a perfectly good Model A by trying to make it look like a '32. 1932 frame rails of course are allowed and even expected. I understand that a Ridler contender must be over-the-top and that's okay but, I would take that Blue Model A (or the Gentleman's Coupe) over the aforementioned Blue-Grey-Green contender any day. In fact I would probably take anything that rolled out of Hilton Hot Rods over it...........................JMHO...................................................................................Don.

hipster, BrandonB, Never2low and 9 others like this.
  15. The blueish 32ish the op mentioned has an interesting thing going on with the front axle and spring. Anyone have any close up pictures of the front suspension?

As far as the wheels go the engine in that car has some interesting metal finish on it too. How dey do dat?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  16. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

I actually liked the color combination in person. It went well together. Also not a fan of the bent frame look personally, but I get why guys do it.

hipster, RICH B and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I agree for the most part, losing the visor and adding the 32 windshield doesn't appeal to me, the sum total is less than the parts.

18. DaveM

DaveM
    from Michigan

Same here, the '32 windshield kind of kills the look a bit. (They do look right at home on a '32 though!) I like my Model A rods fairly straight. I can also forgive '32 firewalls, frames and shells, but I like the look of the body stock. Ford made a really nice looking car with the Model A. I also really like the blue one. I couldn't get to Autorama this year, but I think that would have been my favorite car of the show. I love the MEL motors and that car is right on the money for chop and stance.

gas pumper and lothiandon1940 like this.
  19. I think the color might be '17 Jeep Anvil Blue. Neat Color.

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Something seems odd about it. Perhaps the windshield treatment. But that wheel and tire combo is excellent!

21. barett

barett
    from Taylor TX

Somebody, mentioned Bass's car being a 29. It is. The reference was to the "wade coupe" i think that's right. One Bass has been building lately. It's a 30-31 outfitted with a "deuce" header with an even heavier chop than the one mentioned, a beautiful car. Lots of folks mixing it up with his 29... the one displayed at Detroit does in fact have a striking resemblance to the "wade coupe"....

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Asphalt Angel and JimSibley like this.
  22. lucky13

lucky13

I think the wade coupe used a 34 sedan header.

barett likes this.
  23. JimSibley

JimSibley

I was referring to the wade coupe. I love both cars, it just seems like they are really similar, and I was wondering if it was coincidence or did someone borrow someone's ideas?

24. mediumriser

mediumriser
    from Ohio

The wheel base is way off. It looks goofy from the firewall forward. And you DON'T kick a 32' Frame, you plan just DON'T do it.

fol, falcongeorge, jim snow and 4 others like this.
  25. clem

clem

Personally,
    I think that the wheels are all out of proportion.
    The front ones look too big, the rears look like they sit too high and too far back.
    The way it sits on the little supports may contribute to the distortion that I see, or maybe it is the camera angle ?
    Just my opinion.........for what it is worth.........if anything..........:)

26. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Who dropped that baby on it's head?

hipster, pbr40, ls1yj and 6 others like this.
  27. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  28. Short lil' thing eh? Maybe '40 spring or sumpin'?
    131228;Clancy32A.jpg
    IMHO Gerald's 30/32 is both the perfect deuce and 'A', all rolled into one. Unsplit bones sure are pretty.

29. ......The heavy chop with the swept front frame rails gives it a sort of awkward look. Kinda squished. I gotta stop as someone has obviously spent a great deal of time and money here.

hipster, lothianwilly71 and Dino 64 like this.
  30. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Cool color. Plasti-dip on the wheels? Rear of the roof looks jacked-up. Frame looks like it drives Michigan potholes all winter long....Cool color.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    hipster, mediumriser and Dino 64 like this.