Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Engine ID by valve cover?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RMONTY, Feb 23, 2017.

1. RamJet1

RamJet1

Very, very cool. Looking forward to your build thread, or rebuild thread, as the case may be.

2. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Brakes have been converted to a hanging pedal (stock came up through the floor). Is it an automatic or manual trans? Looks like the battery has been moved to the 55-56 Chevrolet style of box on the firewall. Heater and AC are not stock. Firewall support ribs have been removed, as has the parking brake. Where is the parking brake now, floor? Other than the rear well wells, I think it's a pretty neat car, and you need to save it. I do worry what the undercarriage looks like from sitting in the dirt. The 348 W motor is the whole car! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

loudbang likes this.
  3. RMONTY

RMONTY

So would this car fall under hot rod or custom? It has the traits of both. Is the 348 a deciding factor? Thinking ahead to my build thread once the title is in my name....

loudbang likes this.
  4. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Hot rod in my eyes.

loudbang likes this.
  5. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Custom, unless it gets big and little black walls with a nasty rake.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. belair

belair

Just go get it. Every day that goes by is a day for someone to mess it up. Figure out what to do with it after you get it home.

7. RMONTY

RMONTY

As soon as I have the go-ahead I'll be on my way with a trailer. There is a wait because of probate stuff. Should be resolved within the next 30 days though.

loudbang and belair like this.
  8. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Is there a "way" you can put a deposit down on it? Probate usually translates into "whatever someone can get out of something they inherited"; you don't want to lose out to someone with cash the minute the paperwork in available. What's that Red Green says? "We're pullin' for ya'". I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

loudbang likes this.
  9. RMONTY

RMONTY

I offered to pay in full but there is also some other property involved in a court case aside from the probate. It's a mess and the decision maker is hesitant about doing anything until everything is settled. It's a waiting game.

loudbang likes this.
  10. RMONTY

RMONTY

Butch,
    I saw the MC on the firewall.
    It is an automatic.
    The undercarriage isn't quite in the dirt yet. I was able to reach under the car and see if I could feel any big signs of floor rot.
    I am uncertain of the parking brake.

loudbang likes this.
  11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Keep us all up to date on this car please. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

That might even be a package consisting of "348 W with Turboglide!"
    Beware of the Grade Retard tranny. GrR will be at the bottom of the selector, low as you can go!
    But trannies are MADE to be changed! (that's what we learned in the last 2 years, anyway...)

loudbang likes this.
  13. wbeaton

wbeaton

So cool. I love the 348. The chain attached from the frame to the motor is there to hold the motor inplace incase the motor mounts break. It's an old school racer/hot rod thing to do. To me, this is what a hot rod used to be. Now days they call it a custom.

14. RMONTY

RMONTY

Oh I know what it's there for. Don't know if I would have used a swingset chain though. I guess its a "fusible" link of sorts.....

bowie and loudbang like this.
  15. RMONTY

RMONTY

Update....I am searching for a trailer to borrow as it may happen this weekend. I have a few options for trailers but now is the time a guy wishes he had a nice car hauler with a winch! Regardless, when the time comes I will be ready to pick up all three cars.

loudbang likes this.
  16. cool, get pics of the retreives

17. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Make a good gasser...

18. upspirate

upspirate

I've used U-haul trailers twice and like them

19. RMONTY

RMONTY

I know the adventure part of it is to be considered....but on this one with 3 cars that the tires are wasted on, I may be reaching out to a wrecker service. I don't have anyone beating down my door to come assist in all the fun.

loudbang likes this.
  20. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

If you go the Uhaul route, just remember, youre hauling an 87 Honda accord.

21. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That chain will do no good on the passenger side, unless this engine runs backwards, or you're doing hard launches in reverse.

@RMONTY where are you located, or did I miss that somewhere? Might help with getting a loaner trailer if people know where you are.

loudbang likes this.
  22. RMONTY

RMONTY

Well I have everything lined up for tomorrow except for some help. Was able to borrow a car hauler with a winch on it. It can be done by myself but help on something like this would sure help. I have a set of wheels and tires to throw on if needed, but I'm thinking I can drag the cars up on the trailer without having to put them on. I'm sure I'll be all day tomorrow getting all three moved the 42 miles by myself from there to home. If anyone wants to lend a hand I'll buy the beer and BBQ afterwards!

23. gigem

gigem

Where are you located?

Never mind, I found your "New from North Texas" post. I am in Houston. Too far...

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    loudbang likes this.
  24. RMONTY

RMONTY

Thanks gigem....I'm just north of Dallas about 45 miles. If I have to I'll go pick up a day laborer. I'd rather have someone that's interested and not just doing it for the money. Regardless, it'll get done!

loudbang likes this.
  25. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I wasn't in Pa, I would jump at the chance to give you a hand. Just love draggn' crusty dusty' s out of the dirt. Good luck with your quest!

loudbang likes this.
  26. RMONTY

RMONTY

IMG_0100.JPG IMG_0101.JPG IMG_0103.JPG IMG_0104.JPG IMG_0106.JPG Oh it's a quest for sure!

27. RMONTY

RMONTY

28. clean 4 door

loudbang likes this.
  29. olskool34

olskool34

Dang that 4 door looks damn nice!

loudbang likes this.
  30. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Nice score!