Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs What's your least favorite hamb friendly car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RaginPin3Appl3, Feb 18, 2017.

1. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

I can't help but laugh inside when I think of the engineers and designers of cars like the AMC Pacer when they finished all their drafting and detail work and are so proud of themselves by cheering and patting each other on the backs and all the others that contributed to the design thinking to themselves that they have truly come up with a great new concept and idea for a car. I'm sure there are many other board meetings in times past that others thought the same thing for their designs thinking they have created a new masterpiece in automotive history.....when they really didn't!

2. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Well really they had something special. You gotta remember that styles change. Some cars are timeless but in the 70s, cars like the pacer and gremlin really weren't that awful looking and the point of them wasn't to look good. They were just meant to be cheap and good on gas

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. '59 Ford... anyone for a boat ride?

swervyjoe and dudley32 like this.
  4. Jessie J.

Jessie J.

1956 Hudson. 'Hashes'. Did the 'stylists' sit down and conspire on how to make the absolute weirdest and homeliest car in America?

5. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

The hamb friendly cars I hate are the catalogue built street rods. Just buy walking around it you can just about pick what catalogues the builder had on his shelf. He clearly never went to a swap meet or on Craigslist to find parts. Every bit came new in a box as a kit with instructions. It irritates me even more when somebody gets a good original survivor and rebuilds it with catalogues and of the shelf kits.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. ChaosActual

ChaosActual

bchctybob and RaginPin3Appl3 like this.
  7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The Pacer was conceived at a time of gas shortages and downsizing. Their concept was to make a new kind of small car, one that had the interior room of an intermediate and the outside size of a compact. To do this, they came up with the first wide, small car. This was before the rest of the industry thought of 'downsizing'. An integral part of the design was a new Wankel engine they had contracted for from General Motors. At the last minute GM welshed on the deal and they had to squeeze in the sixes and V8s they had on hand.

In spite of this the new Pacer was a sensation, very popular and set new sales records, for about a year.

Put a Pacer beside a Porsche 928 and the Porsche looks like a chopped and channeled Pacer. They could have come off the same drawing board. But when Porsche does it, everybody thinks it's great.

thunderplex likes this.
  8. [​IMG]

Need I say more............

9. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

You do :p thats my second favorite car

10. warbird1 likes this.
  11. koolkemp

koolkemp

A gorgeous gold supercharged one was destroyed in an accident near my place last summer...

12. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I generally like the weird stuff, and that includes most of the more WTF-were-they-thinking? designs of our era. I must say that I could never get my teeth into '41-'48 Fords.

In the sacrilege department, I just don't get the Cord 810/812.

13. CoolYourJets

CoolYourJets

Oh, man. I just about got through this thread without seriously being hurt. The 810 is gorgeous and I may risk a divorce if I ever found a good-priced one for sale! : )
    [​IMG]

14. With nature we have evolution to experiment and try different designs. Some of those experiment thrive but many more are evolutionary dead ends. I think the same dynamic happens with vehicle styling. Lots of stuff gets tried but the marketplace is a tough environment and only the strong survive (ie: the best ideas).

But the funny thing is, some of those weird, funky, ugly failures can be the most interesting and broadly accepted favorites, even to the point of having a cult following. This forum alone has hundreds of examples of a "least favorite" that has been made into a Cinderella story and a whole lot of ugly has been fixed up with some pretty cool ideas.

I suppose vehicles are like puppy dogs.... you just can't make one ugly enough that someone couldn't love it.

The short version.....
    My most favorite - my car
    My least favorite - your car

thunderplex and clunker like this.
  15. Interesting, every car I've had somebody here hates it.

16. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

It is interesting that there is such a variety. Some of those like the 1958 were really hot in 1958. We spent some time in a brand new two door hardtop, black on black , tri power and it was cool then. The Cord is a timeless classic. But beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Even the Gremlin has showed up looking good.

17. Anything after the middle 60's.
    Turn out the lights and close the thread.:p

*Yea, I know. Those are not HAMB friendly. But they are not HAMB welcome.

18. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

19. srs1

srs1

<-<-<-I take exception to that

20. My HAMB era car is in my shop now. Certainly not good looking but interesting. It's a 1959 Titled date and off the road since 1959.

Movin/on 100_2184.JPG 100_2185.JPG

clunker and RaginPin3Appl3 like this.
  21. In high school we had 3 students in our little potato-farming town with 58 chevy Impalas...all convertibles. I thought they were awful.
    A guy in our club has a black 58 Impala hardtop with all the whistles and bells, 3 antennas, skirts, Continental kit. stainless fake exhaust outlets in the quarters, fake spotlights...ugh.
    But I'd take a 58 Biscayne with lowering, nosing and decking and Americans in a heartbeat.

22. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

The 58 chevy is my favorite car, but I completely agree the impalas are overdone. I like the delrays, biscaynes, and belair posts

23. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most of the '58s are pretty homely, and the '58 Olds is pretty ridiculous, but no more than most of the competitors. I do like the ad copy, "Wherever you go, it's adventure ho!", sounds like an adult swim cartoon.

But an old fogey ride like a '58 Olds probably shouldn't be considered HAMB friendly anyway, with the exception of grabbing the mill and hydro for a hot rod.

58Olds88Ad05.jpg

And I'm going to say it... '59 Cadillacs are not attractive in comparison to other '50s and early '60s Caddies. Yes the crazy excess makes them cool, and since they are Cadillacs, that automatically adds coolness, but I don't get the lust for the '59s. Maybe it's just because seemed like every stupid '80s music video and teen movie had one in it. '60, '61, '62 are just better looking, and certainly are more cohesive designs.

clunker likes this.
  24. belair

belair

All 58 GM, but 57 Mercurys have to be the worst. Ugly as a man's butt. And 38 Oldmobile. And 41-42 Fords.

25. thunderplex

thunderplex

Ouch, ...the '41 Ford and '57 Merc stabbed me in the heart. Amazing how we think, ...those are two of my favorites. I've never owned a '57 Merc, ...but would love to have a 2 dr sedan. I wish I still owned my '41 Ford short door coupe.

26. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Better not say or I,ll be kicked off.Lets just say I hate cookie cutter.You asked

27. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Iam with you on the weird stuff part Ned

Ned Ludd likes this.
  28. 56cadillackid

56cadillackid
    from new york

I like the 58 olds even the 4 door some thing about a car that excessive I think is pretty neat, that being said I don't think there is a single 1950s American car I don't like

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. jamesgs4

jamesgs4
    from denver

T-buckets. Never saw the appeal.

30. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Amen, to that the only good thing to ever come from them are the baby Hemi's.

Funny we are in the process of doing a full build on this exact car for a guy right now, custom frame since they don't have one, M2 front 4 Link rear on Bags. With an LS1 450hp package and T56 Transmission with factory look alike wheels. Its going to be a pretty agile Tank. It's Fugly as hell, but Ugly is cool in it's own right.