Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods We all come in all shapes and sizes ~

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Feb 24, 2017.

1. wicarnut

wicarnut

Your post brought up a happy/funny memory this AM. Thank-You ! A few years back, my honey and I looked at a 32 Ford Pickup for her, chopped, channeled, very KOOL little truck, then we went sit in it, I'm 5'10" #210, I could not get behind the wheel, if you squeezed me in, don't think I could get out, the wife 5'2" #130 barley got in and said we would need to move steering wheel away from her as turning the steering wheel would be uncomfortable for her boobies, so we walked away laughing about that, sometimes that memory pops in when I see some of the small rods/trucks like you had.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    hotrodharry2 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  2. Blown35

Blown35

6'4 190 - that's why my 35 3 Window and 39 Coupe are stock body - plenty of head and leg room!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    HOTRODPRIMER and wicarnut like this.
  3. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

I think this has been a problem since the advent of vehicles, thats why the "Fatman" steering wheel was invented.

4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Always loved the 34 coupes and to this day I would love to own one..
    Two years ago, for the very first time I got to actually sit into a stock roofed 34.
    Man was it uncomfortable at 6-3 200 lbs. What a let down.

HOTRODPRIMER and wicarnut like this.
  5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

6. 454Olds

454Olds

I can identify with big guys and small cars. Being a large guy, I simply don't fit in those coupes and roadsters. Being of advanced age, my joints don't bend as easily as the use to. So the conclusion is a land yacht. I enjoy the comfort and ride of my sled, and I didn't skimp on horse power, so the best of both worlds.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

bobss396, HOTRODPRIMER and wicarnut like this.
  7. BJR

BJR

:):)Step away from the dinner table......:):)

dana barlow, Montana1, czuch and 2 others like this.
  8. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Im 6' and 180-my wife is 5' 4" and 120. We find that a 40 needs the seat moved back at least 2- 3" to be comfortable on a long haul.--she can still slide it forward for her if needed. Her 55 is very comfortable-no problem. I have always wanted a 29 roadster pickup since seeing Dean Lowe's long ago but they are a little tight and at 74 I don't bend as well as I used to.

LongT, olcurmdgeon, dan31 and 2 others like this.
  9. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I'm 6' 3" tall and drive a 30 Ford pickup as a daily driver, had to learn how to get in and out easily. My brother is about the same size but heavier and was wanting an old car to tinker with when he retired so I offered him a 29 Ford coupe I had in a storage unit. Told him come and get it and he could keep it as long as he wanted to but I wanted it back when he was done with it. Put new tires on it, tuned it up and he came out to get it and couldn't hardly get in it and the steering wheel was against his stomach needless to say he went home without the car. People were smaller in the old days and unfortunately most of us are heavier than we should be. I have three Model A's but keep thinking about going to a 50's car for comfort.

HOTRODPRIMER and olscrounger like this.
  10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Years from now if I ever finish a project I'll get back to you with a reply. Bob

HOTRODPRIMER and Blues4U like this.
  11. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

After reading this thread, something tells me the price of early Ford's is gonna start coming down.... ;)

12. Height,weight and regrettably age comes into play,I don't fold up like I use to!:rolleyes:HRP

13. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. Honey,I shrunk the Merc! HRP

dana barlow, wicarnut and TerrytheK like this.
  15. metalman

metalman

learned that lesson long time ago, early in my building career. I'm 6'4", my brother is 6'3" and so is my buddy. We start building a 33 Chevy coupe and a 34 Ford PU. We chopped and sectioned both, didn't take long to figure out they might look cool but a pia to drive. Can't believe I use to drive that PU to work everyday.
    I always wanted a 57 T Bird. I painted one a few years ago, realized when I went to pull it in the shop I had never sat in one, let alone drive one. Surprise, I don't fit with the top on. Mark that one off my bucket list cars, not for tall folks for sure.
    Danny, are they giving a prize or something for who ever starts the most thread a year? Staying awake at night coming up with new topics? Not complaining at all, enjoying it actually. Seemed to be getting stale around here for awhile ya know, glad your doing your part to fix that!:cool:

hotrodharry2, wicarnut, pat59 and 5 others like this.
  16. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

Mr48chev...you are one hardcore AD-Trucker!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I don't envy all you tall guys. You may be able to put things up on shelves I have to use a step stool to get to, but at 5'6" on a good day, there really aren't any cars I can't sit in comfortably.

Devin

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I am a 6'1" and over 300 with a size 13 shoe. I have a hard time driving a lot of cars. I cannot drive a stock T and had to have a friend or my son test drive one I worked on. I fit behind the wheel of the '10 Overland and the '14 buick but my legs are too long to drive comfortably. I do ok in my stock A roadster and the '30 Chev sedan. Surprisingly enough, I fit into the '22 Buick touring just fine. When I built my coupe I moved the seat riser back 6" and cut the package tray down. What a difference that made! When I go to put upholstery in it I am going to have to rework the seat cushion with some different springs to make it a bit shorter. When I look out the windshield I am looking right at the top of if it. With the visor I cant see a street light when I am stopped at one. I dont know how i could fit into a chopped and channeled car. Guess I will have to get chummy with someone and get a ride in a car with a chop and see if I even would consider chopping one. Being a big guy sucks sometimes.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

I'm more fortunate than most of you guys, I've always driven a Fat Forty.... Of course I'm adding on a few more pounds than I care to admit, it only shows up when trying to put on my jeans or tying my shoes. I still fit behind the wheel of either '40. IMG_4125.JPG

Paul B, HOTRODPRIMER and falcongeorge like this.
  20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

George, don't let the girl find out you referred to her a lummox. That'll cost you some mall dollars.

falcongeorge likes this.
  21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Lummox:confused:
    Is that like a Sasquatch?
    Sorry, I couldn't sleep, too many chocolate chip cookies before beddie time.

Jet96 likes this.
  22. I'm 6' and 230 lbs (down from 270) and my '59 Ford is a little tight. The seat could go back a few more clicks if I had the adjustment. It would help with my clutch leg, make it more comfortable. I've sat in some Deuce coupes and don't see how those can be driven any distance comfortably with the brake and clutch pedals through the floor. Cars back then were made for smaller people.

23. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

I am 6'0" and around 230. My T is a fairly tight squeeze. Making the seat bottom higher actually helped leg room a little. Also had to add the steps because the doors don't open and 54 year old hamstrings don't allow for that casual leg swing. The other issue is the size 13 feet. Even some modern cars have pedal issues when I have boots on. The T is best to drive barefoot.

(This was a test drive before the windshield was on.)
    Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 8.49.50 AM.png

Here's a shot with the windshield. Was not driving barefoot here - this was Christmas Eve in Wisconsin. A bit nippy.)
    Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 8.54.57 AM.png

I have other cars that are bigger, but sometimes these little rods are what call out to you. Plus, you can fit more of them in a garage.
    Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 8.57.59 AM.png

24. LongT

LongT

with 69 years old,6'4" about 235 here. My T has an 8" extended body. Not too bad but I'm getting tired of the wind and sun beating. No doors but if I lift my leg with my hands I can get in fairly easily. I finally think I can let the T go for a car top and doors. Definitely looking towards the more fat fender cars or a sedan.

I always wanted a '29 A pickup, since high school. I couldn't even get in one at a show. A different seat MAY have helped but I still would not have been close to comfortable!

25. Well I'm 6ft tall and weigh 184lbs.
    I have a Fatman wheel on the Center Door. Not for my gut but to make it easy to step over the passengers and into the drivers seat. Also no problem with head height.
    However when I chopped and channeled my "T" Coupe it was like wrestling in and out of another skin. :( I would say it was fun though.
    Now driving my COE, which is all stock in height and seat position I cannot believe how cramped and small it is for such a big truck. But it's great to be out in and drive.:cool:

We must be mad. It's great though isn't it, and it sure beats the boring every day run around.:D:D

26. belair

belair

When they were new, an A truck or coupe would hold 2 or even 3 and four people with no real drama. Better (and worse) nutrition have made us bigger. And we have greater expectations of personal space and comfort than our grand parents did. I'm glad I can fit in my A. If I feel cramped, I get in my 55 and enjoy all that inside real estate.

27. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

I want a 32'-34' pickup. I'm just not sure that will work.

Montana1 likes this.
  28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

less hairy, but yes, that's the general idea...:eek: No, I shouldn't say that, shes just quite tall for her age and a bit clumsy, I think its that she grows fast. She has always been big, she was 9lbs 8oz when she was born, and very long. Damn near killed my poor wife.

dana barlow likes this.
  29. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

There are forsure real limits,but also I've seen an fixed for others,bad seats,steeringwheel an pedal lay outs ,were they were then OK,with a hotrod that was nearly undrivible before to owner. Some can't be made to fit and some can. The most work often is over coming some odd idea of owner that they can't change this or that with out messing up a look{ I ask how dose it look good only parked in the garage,drive baby drive,so do the fix.
    So many rods are just put together vs planed out well.

30. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D This thread so reminds me of a couple of my cousins.One is 6ft 10 inches and 300 lbs.His "little"brother is 6ft7inches and 285.Not fat just muscle.Their DD trucks have to have custom seats from the frame up.Their cars are mid 50`s Buicks.They are retired cops.When they showed up at a bar fight or a domestic dispute,they NEVER had a problem with things coming to a screeching halt in a hurry.
    Good luck.have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

pat59 and bobss396 like this.