Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1956 Cadillac ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56cadillackid, Feb 25, 2017.

1. 56cadillackid

56cadillackid
    from new york

[​IMG]
    Within the coming month I am planning on picking up a 1956 Cadillac sedan deville, it will be my first car and I am planning on doing some modifications and wanted some feed back.
    I plan on
    Swapping the stock manifold for a 3x2
    Installing a mild cam
    Installing brockman mellow tone mufflers

I know it won't make the car quick as it weighs almost 5000 pounds but I want it to be just a little faster than it should.
    Here are pictures of the car
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Also if I did anything wrong when I posted this please let me know I'm new here

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    302GMC, clunker and Bruce Fischer like this.
  2. junkyard junky

junkyard junky

Nice Caddy! Don't have many ideas but I just drive my 56 when I get the chance.

Averz Steel 514.jpg

31Truckster likes this.
  3. 56cadillackid

56cadillackid
    from new york

4. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Save everything(& label what it is & where it came from) that you remove, because the pictures say that car could be a restoration candidate at some later time, & the original parts would be a REAL plus to have. That said, go ahead & do whatever you intend,. as it IS your car, just please remember: they are original only ONCE!

5. gigem

gigem

Drive it for a while before you start messing with it. That is a really nice car!

6. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Make sure the suspension and brakes are in good working order and drive it! IIRC there was a factory 2X4 setup for those engines too.

7. Shes a really SWEET looking ride!!!!Bruce.

8. catdad49

catdad49

Looks like all it needs a good detailing, then ride and glide. That baby is smooth!

9. Awesome ride. Looks super solid. I am putting mellowtones on my Caddy too. The multi carbs should add some horses, and just going with the glass (or steel) packs without the muffler/resonator combo should make it flow better, but don't count on my advice (unless you want to end up in on a desert island wearing nothing but a thong or worse).

10. southerncad

southerncad

Sweet ride, BUT you don't need any more horsepower with that set of 5 air horns in front of the radiator:D

11. Nice car, I love Cadillacs.
    I like Hot Rods as well however you have what looks like a running driving car or one that could be made to run with very little effort.
    Why not just drive it? It is amazing how life gets in the way and projects have to take a back seat.
    Not trying to discourage you, but I have seen a lot of guys lose faith in a project for that reason.

Looks like New York registration and inspection stickers in the windshield, are you from N.Y.?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  12. I just looked at the pics again. That thing is a time capsule. I would drive it as it is. If you have a bug to build a car, start with a thrashed A, or a 2 door moss covered wonder from around here. I can tell by the foliage you are North of the Wall. A Wildling?.

13. 56cadillackid

56cadillackid
    from new york

Yeah the horns are kinda fun, I'm still not sure weather to leave them in or not

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. 56cadillackid

56cadillackid
    from new york

Yeah I'm from windham ny, the car runs and drives and when I test drove it, it was all pretty solid so I think I might take your advice and just drive it for a little bit as is once I get it

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. Randy Routt

Randy Routt

Ovr 20 years ago,I was involved on the stabilization of this car. It was originally white, and had been sitting a while when a friend bought it.He drove it until the sludge broke loose and ate up bearings crank, lifters rockers etc.etc,etc.
    I removed the engine and took it all apart, and set about a rebuild on the Kettering design 365, As it was a Eldo,it should have had a dual four barrel on it but the owner didn't want that anyway. A year later I had the motor running but could not drive it as the interior was out. It waited 4 years for the owner to come back from the space coast of Fla. and this was in the 1st round of gasohol in the mid 80s. Carb had cankered up and the owner got it loaded and that was all I remember, until he messaged me a yr. ago and we caught up on things. He was kind enough to send a picture of it as finished. 13524222_898523216941748_54369766_o.jpg Micah Savell\'s cadillac.jpg