Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My baby moons falling off

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skinny pedal, Feb 25, 2017.

1. skinny pedal

skinny pedal

[​IMG] The title says it all, I'm having problems with my baby moons falling off. Are there any magic fixes for this ? The rims are free of grease and freshly painted. I'm wondering if I should scuff the nubs on the wheel where the cap rests. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. You can try using some duct tape wrapped around the lip of the hub cap. HRP

skinny pedal likes this.
  3. flatford39

flatford39

silicone caulk can be your friend as well.

3340 and skinny pedal like this.
  4. Wyld Deuce

Wyld Deuce
    from ...

You may need to try different hub caps.
    Once had an issue with cap fitment as well, found similar caps with a different style flare.

skinny pedal likes this.

5. no55mad

no55mad

Make 3 or 4 cuts in the lip of the hubcap that interfaces with the rim(depending on how may nubs are on the rim to interface with the hubcab lip. You can then bend the lip out between the cuts so it has a tighter fit. Learned this here on thee HAMB a few years ago, works good.

skinny pedal likes this.
  6. flatford speaks the truth. Before you go cutting or sanding, try silicone sealant. It works great, doesn't do any damage, and it's removable.

3340 and skinny pedal like this.
  7. skinny pedal

skinny pedal

This sounds like the least drastic, so I'll try your and flatfords idea first. If that doesn't work I'll get out the welder and 4 inch long sheet metal screws. thanks to all of you for your help.

8. skinny pedal

skinny pedal

HRP, would this come off during car washes and if the rims get hot in summer or if I'm doing a lot of braking ? If the silicone doesn't work, your idea is next. Thank you sir.

9. skinny pedal

skinny pedal

Deuce, is there a best and worst level of these? Or is it just looking for the cap that just happens to fit you application best? I'd rather just buy the best (if they exist) and pay more just to not have the headache. Looks like I need to invent some positive lock system for these, that way I'll be rich and all my third cousins will come out of the woodwork to borrow money ( ya just can't win).

10. skinny pedal

skinny pedal

I'm worried once I cut and bend em a few times it'll snap off like the cheap Chinese crap they are. I'm thinking a 5 gallon tub of super glue and a paint brush.

K A likes this.
  11. Wyld Deuce

Wyld Deuce
    from ...

Trial and Error mostly, It is whatever fits your application best.
    Here are two examples, I had issues with B and have always had good luck with A.
    upload_2017-2-26_17-0-59.png
    If nothing else, you may just have faulty caps.

K A likes this.
  12. jnaki

jnaki

Hey SP,
    On another recent thread about not wanting to mess up painted rims with the small hubcaps, people had a ton of ideas. Here are my two suggestions. Rescue Tape around any nubs, DIP-IT solution, and Liquid Electrical Tape.
    Jnaki

Hello,
    It might be possible to use this product. Rescue Tape in clear. It only wraps and holds onto itself. But, it can stretch very thin around objects. You might have to bend the clips a little for more clearance. I have never used it on hubcaps, because we don't have hubcaps. But, I have used it on just about everything from crutches to vacuum hoses, to tools, and a bunch of other stuff. It is like tape, but will not stick to a surface except for sticking to itself. YRMV
    Jnaki

Rescue Tape on Amazon.com [​IMG]
    Hey 1959,
    I forgot that old reliable "Dip It" stuff. I have used that to coat the ends of various metal parts to keep them from rubbing on other parts. Also, great thin coat on metal tools, too. But, now I use that Rescue Tape to cover my old metal handles on wagons and tools. Less mess and if you make an error in wrapping the tape, it pulls off or slice it with an X-acto knife.
    Jnaki
    The tapes pulls as far as it can go and makes a thinner wrap.
    The Dip It stuff can be adjusted to only coat in thin layers.
    Many times I had to remove the old hubcaps on our stock cars and if i had either of these two, it would have made it easier.
    But, on silver painted rims, I used a small center hub cap on the 58 Impala and on our 40 Ford Sedan Delivery, the small round center caps with beauty rims were on black rims. [​IMG] They never came off.

[​IMG]
    Hey 1959,
    I did not know if you solved your problem yet. So this is something else that might work. I have used it on small springs to keep the springs from rubbing on another surface, preventing scratches. I used it on a frayed end of a wire and on an electrical wire where you overlap it around a holding screw. (that was inside a yellow industrial extension plug) This may work as it goes on thin, but dries. Then you can apply another coat for a thicker area.

Jnaki
    I did not have it in my garage cabinet as I had previously used it up. (short term memory) I was looking around Amazon and saw this listing for liquid electrical tape. My Dip It container had expired a slow death.
    • Forms an airtight, protective, waterproof, UV resistant, dielectric coating
    • Prevents corrosion on wires and terminals, protects against vibration
    • Easy to use, cap has a brush applicator
    • Patented, UL-tested, fast drying formula
    • Can be built-up with additional layers
    • Adheres to all metal, plastic, vinyl, rubber and composite surfaces
    • Stops terminal screws from loosening due to vibration

13. no55mad

no55mad

Try it, works great, been there done that. The tabs you bend out will not break off.

14. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I got some from Coker for my truck when it was first finished. One was so hard to attach that I dented it. It never went on. Two others were also "small" and I never got them on - for fear of denting them, too. After two rounds of exchanges, two others fell off while driving at low speeds but I did get 4 good ones. So, I'd give a try at exchanging them before you get crazy with mods. Coker was very accommodating, BTW, and keep sending me replacements until I had 4 good fitting caps. I'm not sure where they have them made (as if) but I think the caps were made to some fairly rubbery quality control standards. Good luck, Gary
    PS my wheels were also new from Coker with powder coating and tires mounted and balanced, so rust or a paint build-up were not factors.

skinny pedal likes this.
  15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You do have the correct baby moons for your wheels? Back when Moon actually made them they made a lot of different models to fit various applications. Meaning they aren't a one size fits everything application.

16. skinny pedal

skinny pedal

Mr48, I doubt they are correct, they are cheap ( I imagine Chinese knock offs ). They're all staying put except the front passenger side. And now I don't even have to worry about that, my son and I were cruising around yesterday and guess what. Lost for good this time, I'd have an easier time finding Bigfoot. My next set will be of better quality. Thanks for your time. Have a great day

17. metalman

metalman

What rims are you running, stock or aftermarket? I found out years ago when I had issues losing caps on a model A that some aftermarket caps don't fit factory wheels. In my case it was Wheel Vintique's "41 Ford" caps on a stock Ford rim, kept falling off. Drake caps are made for stock rims and stay on fine. Same thing other way around, tried putting a stock cap on a Vintique wheel, no go, too tight.

18. skinny pedal

skinny pedal

They're stock, I just gave up on these moons. I wonder who sells the drake moons you mentioned, maybe I'll have better luck with them.

19. Muttley

Muttley

Uhh.............Bob Drake. ;)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  20. metalman

metalman

Drake might not work for you, they are for Fords. Your's I assume is a Chevrolet.

21. skinny pedal

skinny pedal

Yep 55 series 2 3100

22. skinny pedal

skinny pedal