Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Realistic car related movies.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by borderboy1971, Feb 24, 2017.

1. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

2. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Steve Ray and Spoggie like this.
  3. wicarnut

wicarnut

I like all the car/race movies, America Graffiti, Grand Prix, LeMans, Bullet, Smoky and the Bandit, The Big Wheel, To Please a Lady, all great in their own way. Most have weak/hokey story lines IMO still entertaining and like the real race film edited in or the real stunts. Will say the new ones with all the computer generated stunts are getting to be to much IMO, but I've been lucky enough to become a senior, remember my opinion and $2/3 dollars will get you a cup of coffee anywhere except the foo-foo joints.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    LongT likes this.
  4. carbking

carbking

I kind of liked Thunder Road.

Jon

5. bowtie56jw

bowtie56jw

Death Race 2000 .....I Win

6. philo426

philo426

Did Mitchums red and white 57 Ford have a supercharger or just dual carbs?

7. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

The 50 Sedan stole the show.

slowmotion, mad mikey and 65pacecar like this.
  8. I didn't see that particular bond movie, so I'm not sure of the age of the truck, but I believe the earlier trucks up into 60's supplied air to the brakes to activate them....opposite of newer trucks. I know my 56 gmc with air brakes can be towed without the air built up to release the brakes as well as a 63/4 chev 5ton I bought at an auction. I could be wrong though.

9. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Being as old as we are, we have seen most of those car related movies. One of our favorites that we saw on a big screen in Hollywood was: The Man and Woman. It had the Mustang and convertible that everyone associated with because they just came out years earlier. But, that music was the thing that stood our all of these years later. All of those old car movies had something for everyone.

But, recently, two movies struck a chord with us. Hidden Figures and Loving. Hidden Figures showed the most Tri Five Chevy cars in any movie we have seen. Other cars were also shown, what a collection of cool history. The time period was 1960's so they were popular cars. In the movie Loving, these guys were backyard hot rodders and drag racers. The cars played an important part, but the theme was not cars.

Hidden Figures (Academy Award, perhaps?) was a movie that depicted inequality in our nation's history and how it came to an end, along with a cool NASA background. Loving was a story on similar lines showing inequality in our judicial history. Plus, it was a cool hot rod, drag race, backyard builder scenario. What ever the case, the rights have been restored, but it certainly was a struggle in our USA history.

Jnaki
    The acting and historical significance was outstanding and memorable. But, the abundance of those old cars was very memorable. (There was even a black 58 Chevy in the background of the drag racing scenes.) It was fun trying to see what year the action took place by looking at the cars in the backgrounds.
    Aside:
    The real life magazine photographer also had plenty of drag racing photo essays later on in his life.

10. IMG_1074.JPG
    Surprised. Three pages in and no one has mentioned "Rendezvous ". Even though the sound track was overdubbed, it still works.

Kume, Spoggie and falcongeorge like this.
  11. rooman

rooman

Really lacking in the technical department--how many different engines were in that thing anyway? :)

Roo

12. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Ill admit Don Garlits wasnt the technical advisor, but still a fun show to watch. Nice drag racing scenes and cars throughout, plus a Wolfman Jack wannabe DJ in it.

Spoggie likes this.
  13. hot rods in the Giant Gila Monster. Hot Rods in The Giant Gila Monster - 2.jpg i026815.jpg

Jet96, ROCKER77, LongT and 2 others like this.
  14. jnaki

jnaki

[​IMG]
    drag racing scene from the movie: Loving black 58 impala in the background...[​IMG]
    Hello,
    There were some very cool, old cars shown in the movie, Loving. Here is the main drag race photo showing a back woods drag race. It was a great movie with the added scenes of a hot rod/drag racing background. Check out that cool 58 Impala in the background...nice car.

Jnaki
    Later on as the movie years progress, you get a quick view of a high rise 2 x 4 manifold set up that the main actor is working on in his garage. It goes by fast, so get ready... As the years progress, so do the cars.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    Jet96 and mad mikey like this.
  15. sunbeam

sunbeam

Hollywood where they destroy great cars to make crappy movies.

16. GTS225

GTS225

**********************************************************************************************************************

Yeah. "Hooper" comes to mind. Jan-Michael Vincent and Burt Reynolds, in the final stunt scene with the Firebird. It's not HAMB friendly by no means, and it wasn't even a "great" car, but how hokey can you get?

Roger

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

18. BradinNC

BradinNC

Original msg deleted due to incorrect content. I'd hate to offend somebody.
    And if you're offended , I'm offended.:D

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    Spoggie likes this.
  19. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

"The loveless" with Willem Dafoe.nice old cars ,wonderful motorcycles.Sex,violence,rock and roll and Harley-Davidson motorcycles and an early Corvette.What a combination!

Spoggie likes this.
  20. THIRDPEDAL

THIRDPEDAL

21. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

One of my favourite movies. For some reason I have a wide grin on every time I see that Plymouth.

22. ^Back when Hollywood would kill actual chickens to make a movie.^
    Plenty of cars in the high school lot had stance like that.

Jet96 likes this.
  23. I guess some gear heads ain't so great at reading,
    I don't really think it's a reading comprehension problem, just too lazy to read past the seventh word.

24. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

-Or rabbits !

Jet96 and chevy57dude like this.
  25. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Well, so much for historically significant movies and cars together in two different but deserving movies. They were very good, up lifting and significant to our history especially in the turbulent 60's. But, they did not win any major awards at the latest Academy Awards last night. Maybe since we were all once exposed to this time period with our own cars and philosophy, it won in our hearts.
    Jnaki
    They (Hidden Figures and Loving) were movies that were both sad and uplifting that involved cool cars of our time and fascination.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  26. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

You ever been sitting around shooting the shit with a few guys about something and eventually the conversation swings away from the main topic and then makes it back?

That's kinda what happens on message boards too.

Jet96, BradinNC and Spoggie like this.
  27. Murphy - Guess I better watch the movie again.
    [​IMG]
    What a crazy scene.

Jet96 and scrappybunch like this.
  28. Sure I have.
    But There's substantial proof that a large portion refuse read past word #7. Since ive technically typed more than seven words now it really won't matter much what info is conveyed in my post any longer.

Spoggie likes this.
  29. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot?

chevy57dude likes this.
  30. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Oh I know what you mean alright, see it all the time. Someone asks a question, a few replies later it gets answered then comes the questions asking if such and such was done or checked after it has already been confirmed.

I meant no offence to you, just pointed out how conversations drift. Have a good one.