Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dodge This - 1939 Dodge Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dog_Patch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. jim snow

jim snow

Good stuff Tony. Looking better all the time. Snowman

loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  2. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Can't wait to see it !

3. The car looks soooooo much better with paint on it! You could't have done a better paint scheme for a vintage gasser!

loudbang, allwilly and Dog_Patch like this.
  4. captmullette

captmullette

NAILED IT...........

Dog_Patch, loudbang and allwilly like this.
  5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yep
    This is gonna be good!

loudbang and Fiddle Picker like this.
  6. allwilly

allwilly

Another whirlwind trip to help on quick n dirty is completed....always a great time is had working with,hanging out n meeting great people. Some say I'm nuts doing banzai 1850 mile trips to work with tony on his car...but man its worth it! Thanks again for the fun tony! We will do it again soon!

55belairx2, Big A, Dog_Patch and 3 others like this.
  7. I was all about just sending the hood down on UPS - HA! No way could we have ever got it trimmed and fitted lit Tom did. That was a LOT of work. He made a firewall and a dash and fixed the trans tunnel too. We got a lot of laughs listening to Jimmy tell short people stories :D it was a good time. As always if you need anything just hollar.

8. What's really funny - this dude with a Vette drives up and starts telling stories. He asks Tom where he's from - guy says I'm from Milwaukee too - which town - goes down to which road? Then which house? Then find out his brother in-law is married to someone in Tom's family.

9. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

Can't get away with anything, anywhere. The world is just too small!

10. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Liking the Vette

11. Tom had a seatbelt or something hanging out his door and the Vette guy chased him all the way down to tell him? Those Milwaukee guys take this good samaritan stuff to heart.

12. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Dunno WTF, but I once again got dropped off the email notification of new posts on this thread. Had'nt gotten a notifiication since last Sunday for post 3089.
    I think most likely it's Jeffy's fault.
    Q&D looks real nice and mean as hell with that new hood.

Dog_Patch, allwilly and PBRmeASAP like this.
  13. :) I think me gots me a bullhorn for you:)

14. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

If that thing gets any better looking i am going to have to install a rearview mirror in the flyer so i can look at it going down the racetrack too!

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Medic!

Fiddle Picker and loudbang like this.
  16. Will you make it to Montgomery in April ?

17. Tyresmoke

Tyresmoke
    from Norfork

Q&D is getting better all the time.
    Question about the bonnet (hood) is it stright on the upper out side edge radius .
    Or is it and true copy of the original which has a slight radius from firewall to the front of the car?

Sent from my SM-T805 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Fiddle Picker likes this.
  18. That's real funny - I'll be sure to stay out front where you can see. o_O The paint did make it heavier though - noticed it when we were bolting on the front clip .....

We'll need @402BOSSMAN to comment - its a fuel cam core - not a street core. Comp Cams has the blanks for the big stuff but the street blanks are usually on a waiting list.

Trying to - the list is long but I don't see anything blocking progress but age and time - and stupid mistakes .o_O

Its got about 50% of the original curve - its not flat straight. I wish I had a picture of me and Tom bending the hood on the 2 post car lift. That was all hand formed around the beam of the 2 post lift. Tom's the man, I just held onto the stuff and he bent it.

19. [​IMG]
    Last day at jimmy's paint palace. Time to tow home and start making a race car - now as long as I never open the trunk at the track ......

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. Awesome. U planning on dynoing the motor before u put it back in?

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Sure to be the class of the field.
    Can't wait to see it finished and out in the sun Tony.

Dog_Patch, loudbang and Hang'emHigh like this.
  22. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Tony if someone is looking that hard in the truck you just ask them what there intentions are.
    Car is going to be first class...Great Job!!!

23. Yo
    You need to invite the "TimMan" back to sweet' nip the trunk area.

24. Don't think there is enough time. Too much other stuff needs fixed.

Saturday Jimmy says "Hey Smokie Ingram is coming to look at the car" So who is that? Jimmy says he builds cars to compete for the Riddler Award. Hmmmmm ok - so we hang out for a few hours and he tells a LOT of stories. I Googled the dude this morning o_O not sure if he works on Riddler cars or not ...... Funny as hell though.

25. savannahDan

savannahDan

I see him in town sometimes, and if his shop is where I think it is, he or somebody nearby has some goats and llamas roaming around.

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  26. That Tub with the flathead is at Jimmy's shop now - they haul it to Daytona and Smokie puts out a sign that says its an "Elvis Movie Car" o_O then he had a donation jar to help restore it. He said the jar is FULL by the end of the weekend.

mad mikey, seadog and loudbang like this.
  27. 402BOSSMAN

402BOSSMAN

Its a Standard sized cam core for the Hemi. They are around a 50mm, think slightly larger? You can only physically fit a .500 tall lobe on this core and we are nearly there! Billet core made by Crane, Comp buys the cores from them (Believe Comp owns Crane now?) and I have some specific lobes ground on it. They are not a super aggressive lobe design. I want it to make power but not break parts. Spent a long time talking to the guys at Comp in person on this particular setup as I have another similar deal going after a Bonneville Record in the American Iron class. They convinced me on the Lobe Family (using the same family for the Bonneville effort too - 5 miles will be interesting) but the bigger issue was to get a larger diameter pushrod in there to clear. I was actually able to fit a larger intake pushrod if need be but what we have now is plenty.

Floater03, Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.