Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects United Pacific 5W Deuce Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groovy, Feb 18, 2017.

1. 48stude

48stude

I'm building a Brookville 29 roadster with a Gary Maxwell 32 chassis. I'm using an original gas tank ,original Model A rear crossmember and a 38 banjo with a QC center section from Dick Spadaro. I'm building my car to" resemble" a late fifties to early sixties style. I'm not trying to fool anyone , I just like this style of car. I have never been into beating the swap meets, chasing all over the country for that special original part. I would rather spend that time on my project. That being said, do I appreciate the guy's efforts to chase down those parts that we all slobber over ? You bet. Do I envy that guy? You bet. Do I like their cars? F***king A!! I guess I'm just lazy. I feel that when a person builds a car ,He or She injects their personality into that build . So does a car have a soul ? I think that it is possible. Just my two cents . Bill

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    1lucky1 and Chavezk21 like this.
  2. That car and thread is on the "Hokey ass message board" sub section of the forum.
    If you are reading this, you and this thread are on the "traditional hot rods" sub section of the forum. This little heading is supposed to be pure, hard core traditional, and period correct. I think some folks are lost. Under this sub heading "traditional hot rods" then it should be. As cool as I think they are, I couldn't /wouldn't post my stuff under this heading.
    image.png

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    kidcampbell71 and D-Russ like this.
  3. Hot rods are cool, and build your own even better.
    A post like this is complete nincompoopary. If you aren't period correct obsessive compulsive 100% then stay the hell out of the "traditional hot rod" sub heading.

And God knows exactly what you mean.

4. Nice to see another local build. If you think our streets are deplorable you haven't left the city much ours are pristine compared to most Western Canadian Cities. ;)

chriseakin and Blue One like this.
  5. Xman

Xman

There's nothing wrong with the HAMB. It's just that there are a relative few that consider themselves an authority on everything Hot Rod.

murpa, Andy, Dooley and 2 others like this.
  6. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I'm with 383.... I built basically an entire new 32 3w... the car kicks ass. And has some serious looks . When I'm blowing down the highway to bonneville in my " new car " I'll be thinking about you in the garage , still waiting to find just the right deal on the car you have always wanted . Fuck that . Too many people kick the bucket before living their dream. To me, I don't give a damn if it's new parts or old. As long as it's built properly , with style and skill. Then it's OK in my book. hell I built a FIBERGLASS 34 3 window that everyone in here went nuts about .. they loved it. I had a perfectly good explanation of why I went with glass . And I still stick with the same basic idea......build what you can afford and enjoy it . Everyone else can piss off.
    I truly enjoy the HAMB.. but I've noticed it seeming to die down quite a bit over the last few years ... Maybe it's all the negativity ... "momma said if you Can't say anything nice , don't say anything at all ".

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kidcampbell71, tofords, bct and 10 others like this.
  7. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Groovy:
    Build the damn car , and post some photos doing it! you have my support .

ls1yj, murpa, Weedburner 40 and 2 others like this.
  8. Runcharger

Runcharger

Yeah: I'm new here, I can hardly wait to see more of the build. Drama is for TV.

9. PASTDUEBILL

PASTDUEBILL

Following. I have frames and a ton of old parts. Probably would pay the $25k for a united before I would pay 30k for a cobbled up original 5 window.

slinginrods, Flop and hotrodderhaag like this.
  10. banginona40

banginona40

I'm in, If it sits right it is right!

jim snow likes this.
  11. Build the thing, already! If I had the coin, that UP 5W would be on my chassis.
    So it's not gennie iron, how many bitchin' cars have come out of Brizio's, et al, that are not Henry made.

slinginrods likes this.
  12. Flop

Flop

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1488049795.703960.jpg

Brookville !! And we are damn proud of it !

Graham08, waxhead, ls1yj and 23 others like this.
  13. nice car. you do great work
    are there any parts on it made before 2016?

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As long as the build fits the main HAMB criteria for a traditional build I could give a damn where he got the body. The asking price for an almost buildable original 5 window coupe body is close to the price of the aftermarket one anyhow and maybe more at times.

This says a lot simply because from my observations the most vocal "ya got to have real tin on nothing" proponents show a rough looking car in their avatar and few or none have ever shown a build thread. That is the one constant I have seen over the past nine years that I have been on here. Some only seem to show up to throw out their spew of hate for anything that didn't come encrusted in rust or grease but we never seem to see what they "built".

As I said earlier when I look out on the other side of the garage and see the Model A Victoria that needs probably close to 1000 hours of my slow moving time in the body to be paint ready that shiny new straight from the factory 32 five window looks pretty damned good and throw in a Frame from Rusty at Dirty's that I could pick up on a road trip to see my wife's family in Texas and I'd have a hot rod done in maybe a year rather than five. It did give me my excuse to buy and English wheel and no doubt I'll need a bead roller to make the panels around the quarter windows and probably another tool or two. That's if there is anything left of it when it comes back from the sandblaster.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

16. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Very proud of my brand new 3w. On a brand new built chassis . And running excelsior RADIALS too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Getting tired of the naysayers. I have an original "Henry 32" which is fine. However, I don't really care. A bit of trivia perhaps. Was Henry steel mined on the same mountain that Moses received the Ten Commandments. Or perhaps it started out as ore from the same rock Excalibur was imbedded in? All steel starts off from the earth. As long as it looks like a '32 5W it's OK by me. Why so much hate? When someone modifies the original body on whatever there are oohs and aaahs and you can almost feel the drool (yeeech!). So let the OP build his car, enjoy the pics. If you are really so negative send him some cash so he can satisfy YOUR desires.

TCATTC, A Boner, seadog and 3 others like this.
  18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Ted, thanks for the "heads-up" I needed a laugh! And I just increased my "ignore" list by a couple more! Bonus!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  19. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I'm from the build your car to please yourself school of thought and the soul of my cars has always been tied directly to the accumulation of miles on the odometer. :D

MMM1693 likes this.
  20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I've been thinking, I think my '39 is far too clean to have "soul". I'm going to beat it with a ball peen, then leave it outside in the rain and snow for a couple years.:rolleyes::D My T-coupe body is ok as is, its got "soul" out the ying-yang...:rolleyes:

cretin likes this.
  21. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D If and when I decide to build a car,it will be to please me and not every Tom,Dick,Harry and Mary on the face of the planet.Please keep the updates coming.
    Leo
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

22. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Title of OP was not misleading?
    Just post some pics & keep going... geez

23. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

... haven't seen this many bitches since I left FB & never signed into Pinterest.
    If the only thing you can do is Bitch, move on & read another thread.
    OP doesn't want to come back either.

For post #101. Maybe OP post some UP pics?

H380 likes this.
  24. There's plenty of pics already.

Personally I think groovy's only problem is that he posted under the "traditional hot rod" subheading, a section of the HAMB and according to the sticky :

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/guidelines-the-traditional-hot-rod-forum.828348/

You know the sticky that clearly states that the heading of this forum (sub heading of the Hamb) that is reserved for period correct builds only.
    Under this heading there are builds that are period correct only and the posters have gone thru excruciating effort to remain period correct. That takes a level of dedication that not many are willing to dish out, this is reserved for them.

I'm more than reasonably certain that groovy is going to build a very fine hot rod, but his parts list and pics don't fall into "period correct builds only" and I'm sure he'd get lots of love on the main board for this build.

falcongeorge and tb33anda3rd like this.
  25. Hey Ryan, I know youre a busy guy.
    Can you clean up the drama and move groovy's build to the main board ?
    Please ?

Bam.inc, falcongeorge and Blue One like this.
  26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

funny, Alberta is where some of my henry steel came from. :rolleyes: You should try living in the lower mainland. My T roadster PU body came from Oregon, '39 Convert came from upstate NY, and the T-Tudor came from Montana.
    I would use a United Pacific body in a heartbeat, don't have a problem with that, but if you cant find any old parts in Alberta, you haven't tried. At all.

66gmc likes this.
  27. actually this thread brings up a question as to which way the hamb should go. the number of traditional builds get smaller, the influx of newer stuff on these builds have increased. in this thread the hamb was bashed for being traditional and thats whats wrong with it. maybe the hamb needs to change?
    the hobby needs the reproduction industry, that is a good thing as parts get too rare or expensive. i don't know if i was included in the "asshole" remark or the "bunch of guys" remark but i want to set the record straight. building cars, any cars, hot rods, customs 4x4' tuners etc is good, something for everyone. but what should the hamb include? where do we draw the line? how do we "preach the gospel" and stay current?

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I think we have passed that point. Its no longer a question of where the HAMB should go, but where it has gone. Frankly, I could care less. I fought it for a long time, and finally, about 6 months ago, gave up. Realistically how many people are out there that really have any interest in real period hot rods? Certainly not enough to support a forum this size. When Frank left, that was the end for me, I'd had enough of fighting it, and decided I wasn't going to do it anymore. It wasn't that Franks role defined the HAMB or anything like that, it was more of a "death by a thousand cuts". I just got sick of the controversy, arguing with the constant self-justifying bullshit, and the "build it your way" horsecrap, and gave up, and I think pretty much everyone else that is serious about the history has either given up and rolled over, or left. It is what it is, at some point, you just accept it.
    Its a street rod site, full stop, end of sentence, even any pretence of anything else is long gone and has left the building. I don't see "street rod" as a dirty word, but a little honesty would be nice, but all you have to do is look at the state of journalism and public discourse in the real world to realize that honesty is completely dead and gone, its an obsolete concept. If people say "white is black" then it is, why should the HAMB be any different? The majority gets what they want, and thats it. that's why I have over 100 names on my "ignore" list.
    As I said in our off-forum conversation a few minutes ago where you asked me why I hadn't posted on this steaming bucket of shit thread, I have made a lot of good friends here, and I have scored some very nice period parts for my builds. I also have a valuable network I have built up, right now, I am in the midst of getting some period wheels off a Craigslist ad in So-Cal due to that network, so that should answer the inevitable morons that respond with the usual "so then why are you here" shit, but as far as the HAMB carrying any message or "gospel" that's over, and has been for at least a year.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  29. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Hey Groovy, love the 510!
    Don't be a stranger, looking forward to your "new" build!
    My '32 is very "traditional" more than less and is............................... shoosh, don't say it too loud fiberglass!
    KK

30. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Applause Groovy! If you can, delete all the bickering posts and get on with your build thread!

Ric Dean, kidcampbell71 and seabeecmc like this.