Register now to get rid of these ads!

I wanna see pics of brush painted cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Oct 5, 2010.

1. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

More info here..

http://rolledon.forummotion.com/

Use a closed foam roller-the type for cabinets,bought ours at home depot.

We put on 6 coats but they're real thin coats.

On page #10 post 197 I posted a link to my son's bus. If you want more info P/M me & I'll answer as many questions I can~Chuck (I have a lot of pictures of us painting it):rolleyes:

2. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

A friend in high school (60s) bought a '46 Chevy woody that had been brush painted. The metal was black and not bad at all. The wood was pink. Several thick coats. We left the black. When we got the pink off of the wood it was like new. It was perfect! The pink paint saved it. I wish I had that one today.

3. Larry Pearsall

Larry Pearsall

56 Ford wagon 10 foot car , I'm guessing 3 coats...

Attached Files:

4. Foulkkustoms

Foulkkustoms
    from Arkansas

Wish I knew how to roll on rust? Any tips. Black, brown, orange.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Battery acid and salt water in alternating coats.

bengeltiger likes this.
  6. kuhn1941

kuhn1941

My 41 buick special has the roof to body line painted with white house paint . Over the years fading is happening .

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

7. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

My brothers coupe ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1389877909.418321.jpg

8. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

Just come to my neck of country, we have cars and trucks in all stages of rust ! We use do much salt and liquid juice up here around gta (toronto) I think the only worst place than here , is PA ,USA ! I could be wrong ?

9. 3030

This is brush paint and not a bad job. Believed' to be done by the mail carrier who used this in the 30's. Found a letter from 1935 when I reupholstered the seats.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and AHotRod like this.
  10. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

omg ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ thats so beautiful ...

11. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pics of my kids sanding then they brush painted the Chop Shoey, it turned out pretty good. Kids were 2 or 3 and 6 at the time

-Shiny

JUSTSMOKUMTIRES likes this.
  12. Foulkkustoms

Foulkkustoms
    from Arkansas

What kind of paint and rollers are you guys using?

13. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

More...More...More...

14. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

I have a 1930 Chevy speedster that might get the brush treatment... thanks for the information. Gary

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  15. wowsers.

Stogy likes this.
  16. jerryjagger

jerryjagger
    from salinas Ca

Please keep this thread going. I want to paint my coupe with a roller. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421040901.858859.jpg

17. 66gmc

66gmc

I painted my rpu with a brush. 16 coats, sanded between every second coat, then polished. Very time consuming and it looked like total garbage until it was cut and polished. Lots of imperfections if you look close but its good enough for my junk and has an old timey look.

I did the cab and 1 door last year as an experiment. I wasnt happy with it so I was going to sand it down and just leave it in black primer. Ended up driving the thing as is until the fall and got lots of compliments on the paint job and no one knew it was brush painted. I just finished up the other door, hood and grill, I will probably do the box and tailgate next winter.
    030.jpg
    031.jpg 032.jpg

The last picture shows the paint reflection in the door. I am a bodyman by trade, so it was kind of fun to do things the "wrong way".

18. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

19. GMC firetruck project 9-7-06 104.jpg ..brush painted this cab to kinda match the rest of the truck
    GMC firetruck project 9-7-06 032.jpg GMC firetruck project 9-7-06 087.jpg

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  20. Those are sweet memories friend.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. A Boner

A Boner

Just have to spend a little more time wet sanding than when dealing with an orange peel spray job.

22. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Back in '63 my sister was going to be going to a local community college and my Father purchased a '57 Plymouth for her to drive. He decided he was going to paint it and I couldn't believe that he was going to do it with a brush. He said it was common when he was young. I thought, damn, this is going to look like crap. He painted it baby blue and when it was done I couldn't believe it---the car looked fantastic! All the car guys in the neighborhood felt the same way and couldn't believe it had been done with a brush.

AHotRod likes this.
  23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looks great! Any info on the specifics of product and brush you used?

66gmc likes this.
  24. 100% Matt

100% Matt

I think I may do this with my 40. Its in yellow primer currently

25. indyjps

indyjps

Sprayed a lot of rustoleum using 5 parts rustoleum, 2 parts acetone and 1/3 part valspar enamel hardener. Got the mix ratio from youtube an its spot on.
    Brushed it on small stuff using this same ratio and it flows out nice.

Read thru the whole rustoleum thread on moparts, my understanding is to reduce the paint way down for almost transparent coats to flow out and also ensure it cures completely. Thicker coats dont seem to cure and cut as well when buffed.

If youre considering rustoleum, check out valspar tractor enamel instead, I like it better when sprayed. Consider using a hardener, its $8, and will add a lot of durability. Acetone or mineral spirits can be used to thin it, acetone will flash off faster than mineral spirits.
    shopping (2).jpg

Stogy and pat59 like this.
  26. triman62

triman62

Picture0531171208_1.jpg Got this brush job in progress, won't be long till I can do the rest of the car. IMG_0562.JPG

Stogy likes this.
  27. 66gmc

66gmc

Thanks Tim. I used tremclad (Canadian version of rustoleum) thinned with mineral spirits. I used high density foam rollers and a half decent quality paint brush from home depot. Some guys say you can use foam paint brushes but I found they didn't work to good. The paint job gets a lot of attention, no one believes me when I say it was done with tremclad and a brush. I would never do another black car though.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

thank you! It seem to dry fairly quick between coats?

66gmc likes this.
  29. 66gmc

66gmc

I was painting in a cold garage but I waited 12 hours between coats. When I got to the final few coats I waited 24 hours before wet sanding. I waited a month before final cut and polish. Originally I went right to cut and polish but I found the paint dulled out after a week. It's definately not a job for the impatient but if you have more time than money you can get respectable results. Once it's cured the paint is just as hard as any other single stage finish.
    There's not really any scientific formula to thinning the paint. To much and it never covers. To little and it takes longer to dry and you get more texture to sand out.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. Navillus

Navillus

Social distancing boredom lol

Attached Files: