Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Car Movie Fun-Facts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Victory99, Feb 22, 2017.

1. bchctybob

bchctybob

There's an episode of Perry Mason where they show a car parked in the bushes that looks like a serious Custom. I've always wondered whose car they used.
    Another episode has a kid giving an older guy a lift in his hot rodded roadster. They often re-used a street scene in front of the L.A. courthouse where there is a nice '57 Ford 2 dr wagon shown.
    My wife laughs at me too when I point out the car details.

2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

You'd let things pass if you was paying for it!

3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you like Bond flicks, one of my favorite stunts was in Diamonds are Forever when bond is eluding the police in Vegas in a 71 Mustang fastback. He drives down an alley with the cop in pursuit, tips the 'stang up on two wheels and fits through a narrow gap between two buildings. It is a cool stunt except the mustang enters the gap between the buildings on the passenger side wheels and emerges from the alley on the driver side wheels. Ooops.

No one noticed because they were too busy checking out Jill St. John.

4. Just to inform and not to bitch....There was no such thing as a 1927 Maxwell....1925 was the last year of the Maxwell. I know....picky, picky, picky.

jakespeed63 likes this.
  5. donno21

donno21

6. donno21

donno21

I get strange looks from my partner when I pick the details apart. Not just the cars, but aircraft too. Then she say's " How do you know all this crap"?

7. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Actually its just 1 Mustang, and a huge number of other cars. There's one wreck that wasn't planned, when they hit the light pole. They had to fix the car some after that wreck to be able to continue. Toby wrote, directed, produced and starred in his own movies, a feat in itself.
    The original Gone in 60 Mustang even runs still, his wife owns it.
    Toby died a few years later filming another movie, going for a record of car crashes in a contraption called "the slicer"

8. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

In the movie "Used Cars" with Kurt Russell they show a '58 Edsel at the beginning of the movie but when it crashes with the "body" of Jack Warden inside later in the movie it's actually a '59 Edsel with the scallop painted on the side....

i032080.jpg

9. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

Isn't the driver of the Charger a stuntman in real life who also was the driver of a big Pontiac being chased by Roy Scheider in the movie "The Seven Ups" (which also has a pretty respectable chase scene) several years later?

10. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

During the drive in movie scene in Christine, you see GM style inside door lock knobs on a 58 Plymouth.

alfin32 likes this.
  11. Bubba1955

Bubba1955

12. How about anytime they squeel the tires....peeling out on dirt.

VANDENPLAS, kiwijeff, v8deuce and 9 others like this.
  13. I HATE that!

kiwijeff and Hotdoggin DaddyO like this.
  14. Cool stuff, guys!
    [​IMG]

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  15. I can't remember the TV show, but it was one of the detective types, they blow up a Mercedes 107 (450SL) only when it blows up you can see a 65-6 Mustang with some pieces tacked on to make it Look like a Mercedes. I guess they didn't know that 65-6 Mustang's would one day be worth more than 72-89 SL's.

falcongeorge likes this.
  16. How 'bout the Tales From the Crypt '57 with the uh, scoop. IIRC, the car was put away ''long ago''. However the scoop was current for the '80's when filmed & supposedly took place.[​IMG]
    Probably not super important but those scoops bug me to no end.

17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

In "It's a Mad,Mad,Mad,World" in last chase scene, when the Taxi's are chasing Spencer Tracy, they pass the same black '56 Ford Convertible as least 3 times. One of the times, it's got people sitting on the trunk. One of my all time favorite movies.

18. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Cool story Mike, tho "Black Water" was written by Pat Simmons. Great tune from an off-topic year, heh

19. Marty, you and me both!
    Living in Floriduh, always wanted to plant 4 palm trees, forming a W, in my yard
    Close friends would get it!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. daliant

daliant

Bill hickman drove the Charger in Bullitt, drove the Pontiac Grand Ville in the Seven up's and drove the Ventura in the French Connection for most of the chase scene (the parts where you cant see Gene Hackman driving) which was done on-the-fly on a Sunday morning without closing the streets to traffic, so some of the cars he crashed into were just ordinary people driving to work. They put a police siren and a gumball on the Ventura and told Hickman to give it all he's got because there's only going to be one chance to make the scene, he held the gas pedal pretty much to the floor for 23 blocks in Brooklyn traffic with a camera man in the back seat with a mattress wrapped around him just in case.
    Try doing that today !

21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I remember watching The Streets of San Francisco and saying to myself "I didn't know they put 4 speeds in LTD four doors".

Bandit Billy and falcongeorge like this.
  22. I know AG, has been talked to death ...But, ever notice when Kurt meets the Pharoahs, the little red pickup truck, parked in front of the Merc had a drag parachute??!
    Wtf??

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  23. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Jake, I am building a '53 Ford COE with a van body, in honor of my hero Lenny Pike. If he would have had my 460 powered truck, he might have been the first one to the "Big Dub-ya". IMG_1922.JPG

24. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

Same here. I was 11 in 1963 when it came out and it's the first movie that I remember seeing in a theater. Have you ever read all the info about it on Wikipedia? If not check it out because it's pretty interesting....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It's_a_Mad,_Mad,_Mad,_Mad_World

i060987.jpg

i006490.jpg

25. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Bill Hickman is probably considered one of the greatest movie auto stuntman and has a lengthy career.

What most people don't know and if you look up his name on Google/ Wikipedia is he was the guy that pulled James Dean out of the Porsche wreck and James Dean died in Bills arms !!!!!!

Quote - sub quotes....

"Hickman spent some of these earlier days as driver and friend to James Dean, driving Dean's Ford station wagon towing Dean's famed 550 Spyder nicknamed “Little Bastard”, and often helping and advising him with his driving technique. He was driving the Ford station wagon and trailer following Dean on the day of his fatal accident and was the first person on the scene.

Hickman was an extra in Dean's 1951 feature movie debut, Fixed Bayonets!. A rare personal quote from Bill on his friendship with Dean: "In those final days, racing was what he cared about most. I had been teaching him things like how to put a car in a four-wheel drift, but he had plenty of skill of his own. If he had lived he might have become a champion driver. We had a running joke, I'd call him Little Bastard and he'd call me Big Bastard. I never stop thinking of those memories."

In another interview with James Dean expert Warren Beath, Hickman is quoted as saying, "We were about two or three minutes behind him. I pulled him out of the car, and he was in my arms when he died, his head fell over. I heard the air coming out of his lungs the last time. Didn’t sleep for five or six nights after that, just the sound of the air coming out of his lungs."

James Dean died in Bill Hickman's arms.

Victory99 likes this.
  26. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

27. Y'all posted a bunch of really interesting stuff! I surprised at the amount of "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" fans there are. One of the best movies ever in my opinion!

@corncobcoupe- That's interesting, thanks for posting that.

I like the Tales From The Crypt episode "King of the Road", and the car scenes are pretty sweet in it.

28. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Back in the late 80's they made the movie "Mischeif" partly around Nelsonville,Ohio. It stared Kelly Preston and a bunch of no name (at the time) dorks. Time frame was around 56-57. I worked in town so I got to see some of the filming. I was checking out the movie cars and told the flunky guy that was working with the cars that the 53 Chevy had the wrong wheels and hubcaps. He said nobody would know and that and I should get the hell away from the cars. His boss happened to hear him and he got his ass chewed out. The boss said they would shoot it so you didn't see the wheels on the 53. He was wrong-I seen them!
    My wife gets pissed at me all the time for pointing out screw-ups on the cars in movies and on TV. Those Dicks need a HAMBER for a teck advisor!

29. Quick85 it was a 64.I didn't belive the guy who I bought it from till he showed me a picture. It just was parked in front of a pizza place in the move . It helped put my good 64 back together after some guy crunched the rear door on it.Heres a picture of the good one after I fixed it.Bruce. HPIM0811.JPG

30. Just watched chase scene from "Seven-Ups" Roy Sheider film
    Bill Hickman wheels a huge Pontiac Bonneville in this one too!!
    Great shots of both cars with all 4 wheels off the ground
    Chasing through streets of NYC??