Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Engine ID by valve cover?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RMONTY, Feb 23, 2017.

1. RMONTY

RMONTY

I ran across this car today, and am not familiar enough with Chevy V8 engines to know what I was looking at. I have a chance to buy the car but I was curious what the engine is. The valve covers are unique looking to me. I am sure someone can provide some insight on this engine just by the shape of the valve covers. IMG_20170223_154538-1.jpg IMG_20170223_154647.jpg

dana barlow and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

3. RamJet1

RamJet1

Yeppers, and if you know which side the dipstick was on, you'd be closer to knowing which one. Not guaranteed, but pretty reliable method.
    Sweet car, by the way! Judging by the Mud Dawber nests, that little gem might be in Texas.

loudbang and RMONTY like this.
  4. Wyld Deuce

Wyld Deuce
    from ...

I agree.

5. RMONTY

RMONTY

It looks like the dipstick is on the drivers side.....I think you can see it in the picture. Look right below the 2 rear spark plug wires.....looks like a dipstick to me.

loudbang likes this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

has AC and a Mopar alternator. Neat car!

1927graham likes this.
  7. RMONTY

RMONTY

It has an SS automatic console of some sort, The interior is covered in rat turds. I tried to look underneath to see how roached the floorboards are. Couldn't really tell but the car is mine if I want it. It's not going anywhere anytime soon.....so I guess I need to gather more info....I have no idea what transmission is in it. It's sunk pretty low in the ground at the moment. I may need to go out there with a jack and get up under it, huh?

8. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

That's one strange '51 Chevrolet ... I wonder what's underneath there, too.

Ragmanray likes this.
  9. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Figure out what you have after you get it out of there as fast as you can.

10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Dipstick location same as this 348. IMG_1479.JPG

greasemonkey54, jnaki and loudbang like this.
  11. RMONTY

RMONTY

Here is the other side of the engine.... IMG_20170223_154554.jpg

12. Squablow

Squablow

I would be all over that. If it's got an Impala SS console in it, there's a fair chance that the engine is out of the same car, and a passenger car 409 is a fantastic score in and of itself. But a 51(?) Belair hardtop with radiused wheelwells and a W-motor swap is a cool enough old rod that it might be worth saving all in one piece. Would be a hell of a cool stable mate to sit next to that chopped sedan delivery you're working on.

Get this, and get it soon. Get it home first. Everything else can wait.

13. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The firewall has me wondering; it does't look like a 51-52 Chevrolet passenger car, although the steering box does (???). Got any more photos of the car? It would make for a nice build/rebuild. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

OK, that extra photo confirms the 51-52 Chev passenger car after all. If you can get this car, GET IT!

loudbang likes this.
  14. RMONTY

RMONTY

There is a 51 2 door car there also. It's basically a shell. It looks like it still has the 3 speed in it but the sheet metal appears to be straight and very little rust. Doors and fenders look very solid. I couldnt get under it either. These cars have been sitting since '93 or '94.

15. RMONTY

RMONTY

Did the Bel Air have the brake M/C on the firewall from the factory?

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I had the means, I'd be all over that.

17. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

"Short Timers"...
    But I'd grab that Chevy so fast the clock wouldn't have time to change! Yessir...

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, it would have been under the floor, but that likely had to be culled to do this engine/transmission swap.

19. RMONTY

RMONTY

Ok so the big question is.....what's it worth? I know that is opening a can of worms but I need some edumacation on this one!

20. squirrel

squirrel

Worth? It's worth whatever you can get it for. Well...up to a point. I'd figure $2k tops. But I expect you'll get a wide variety of answers.

Has two fuel filters, I wonder if the tank was rusty 20+ years ago? :)

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't see a shift rail on top of the steering column tube. It is likely a floor shift, probably an automatic, as a clutch setup would a chore to get working properly. I don't see any evidence of it on the firewall.

22. RMONTY

RMONTY

There is a console between bucket seats....it says SS on it. I wasnt sure if it was a Chevelle SS or what...Squawblow mentioned the Impala SS......so that might be what it is. I guess I need to glove up and go back over there and get some casting numbers off the engine. I was ill-prepared to go turd-diving this afternoon.

23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just get us a ton of pictures.

24. RMONTY

RMONTY

Hmmmm.....interesting on the worth. I believe I can get both cars for far less than that.....but I haven't talked to the decision maker yet. There is also a full skirted 51 4 door PowerGlide there that "was running" when parked years ago....Not really interested in that one though. I may end up being the "negotiator" for that car.

1937Hemi likes this.
  25. RMONTY

RMONTY

So if this is a 348 or a 409, what are the weaknesses and strong points of these engines? Also, what are the potential rebuild costs on these engines?

26. squirrel

squirrel

someone pointed out that it has the dipstick where a 348 would, so it's not likely to be a 409. A 348 is usually worth just a bit less than you spent to rebuild it :)

They look neat, and you can get them to run ok if you spend a lot of bread...at least that's my take, I've never messed with them. Too easy to make power with other Chevy engines.

27. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

28. The whole package is kind of unique. Would be way cool to rescue it and rebuild it as is.