Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Nifty new fastener

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willys36, Feb 23, 2017.

1. This came in an ad in an ASME tech update email I get every morning. Why didn't I think of this?!

upload_2017-2-23_6-38-49.png

Attached Files:

2. 5window

5window

Ok, but how easy will it be to get that pin out when whatever it is needs to be serviced? Seems like one of those manufacturing shortcuts for something never intended to be worked on.

3. "Speeds assembly times."

Every single one of those fluid quick connect fittings was designed so a monkey could put them together quickly on an assembly line without leaks or crossed threads and thus eliminating warranty work. Getting them apart is a bitch, corrosion requires replacing expensive parts, and special formed ends for lines are expensive. Your options are replace quick connect fittings with expensive like kind or replace the quick connect with conventional that's impossible to find or custom made and then redesign the system.

jim snow likes this.
  4. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Great for my tractor!

5. butch27

butch27

Does that have a release on the end?

6. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

I assume the little tit is spring loaded. You push down on it & hold it down while you pull the pin out by the head.

7. aaggie

aaggie

Might be OK in some places but I could probably buy a lifetime supply of cotter pins to convert my stuff. It's always good to see new stuff though.

8. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks pretty slick to me (as long as the release mechanism is lubed)

9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That little push release would get all gunked up and seize, then good luck getting it out :D
    A plain old cotter pin that's been there a long time can be difficult enough.
    A new fangled mouse trap is not always better than the old standby. :)

czuch likes this.
  10. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Im with blue one on the thing getting gunked up. I have a convertaball on my pickup you push a pin out to convert from a 1 7/8" ball to a 2". Mine was so gunked up I destroyed a ball getting it off even with antisieze on it.

11. Can't make an intelligent comment until I can see the "business" end - that which allows removal....

12. Lets see, possible applications: receiver hitch pin, ramp lock pins and tilt lock pins plus one season of salted roads would be a good test; bet they wouldn't be up for the second season.

13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

It does look to be a little more positive than the push button pit pins that just have the one or two leeetle balls.

14. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

It just doesn't have any real "soul" like a good "traditional" cotter pin..............................................

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Unless it rusts in place or the spring fills with dirt and can't be compressed. The spring could rust and lose it's tension so the pin falls out.

16. I think this is a new solution to a non-existent problem.

czuch likes this.
  17. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]The one shown at the beginning is meant to be used on permanent installations. This one with a rounded tip is for removable use.

18. Just think of all the time I used to waste pulling those highly complicated cotter pins.

19. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

20. Not even close. This is infinitely superior!!

2-23-2017 10-28-30 AM.jpg

czuch likes this.
  21. badvolvo

badvolvo

A lot like the push button, T handle ones used on my wheelie bars, that are 25 years old.

22. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Kinda slick. Oh, to remove a few of them just use a telescoping tube (with a 'Tee handle') and slip it over the latch. Now pull the pin.
    IF you really have to use these things... Dzus fasteners are cooler...mmmmm.....