Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Equalizer for no head unit setup?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CallMeChris, Feb 23, 2017.

1. CallMeChris

CallMeChris
    from Arkansas

I've searched this forum and more...but I have a question I haven't seen an answer to yet. Hopefully someone can answer it or find it if they have stronger Google-Fu.

I plan on doing an inconspicuous sound system in my 48. Speakers will be going either in custom door or kick panels in the front, and either in the panels beside the seat or the rear shelf in the back. 6.5" up front and either the same or 6x9 in the rear. I will probably hide a 10" sub in the trunk behind a hidden pannel and run a couple amps to push everything. I won't be using a head unit, I plan on running it off of a bluetooth adapter and using my phone. I've done very similar setups in jeeps, 4 wheelers, and RZR's and it works well.

Here is my question. Without running a head unit, you have to rely on the phone for any adjustments for the trebble/bass in the music and they don't do a great job. Would it be worth doing a small equalizer between the bluetooth connection and the amp to be able to fine tune the sound quality? Has anyone tried it?

2. maybe look at a website for stereo systems..

3340 likes this.
  3. hedg12

hedg12

The amps/speakers don't care where the sound comes from - if it's worth it or not is up to you...

LostBoy likes this.
  4. call radio shack
    radio add.jpg

LostBoy likes this.

5. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

6. CallMeChris

CallMeChris
    from Arkansas

Yes, I've used the one from Crutchfield before, it's in their marine section. Hook up power and plug the rca into a line level booster and then go into the amp. Works really well and gives you volume control from the phone. Turn the power switch on for the amp/Bluetooth unit and search for it on your phone. Connect and jam away to your favorite tunes. You don't have to have the line level booster between the amp and Bluetooth but I have found it gives better sound since the Bluetooth unit doesn't have much of an output to go straight into the amp.

I'm was just curious if anyone had tried an equalizer with a setup similar to give even better sound quality, guess I'll do like suggested above and try to find a car audio related forum.

7. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

I wouldn't see why putting an active crossover in the signal path wouldn't work, it's the same concept as a Head Unit.
    I will need to check out that piece you mentioned, thanks.

Sent from my Z958 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. CallMeChris

CallMeChris
    from Arkansas

9. CallMeChris likes this.
  10. CallMeChris

CallMeChris
    from Arkansas

11. turdmagnet

turdmagnet

In my Poncho I've completely hidden everything except for an Ipod connector coming thru the front seat. I'm running a Clarion 7 band eq with an Ipod input. It has 4 channel outs and a separate sub-out going to a 4 channel amp and separate sub amp. Everything is mounted under the seat out of the way - once I got the eq set for how I like it, it never gets touched again. I've removed the volume control from the eq and modified it to be attached to the cigar lighter so volume adjustment is easy while driving - don't have to fiddle with the ipod volume. A small toggle switch under the dash turns everything on.

xpletiv likes this.
  12. CallMeChris

CallMeChris
    from Arkansas

I like the volume nob idea while everything else is hidden.

13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Whats wrong with just using a radio? Damn, my phone is for talking to folks I usually don't want to talk to, and sometimes looking at websites like the HAMB.

14. Never2low

Never2low

15. CallMeChris

CallMeChris
    from Arkansas

My dash has no cutout for a radio and I don't want to start hacking on it. The only other option is to build a custom floor console that would hold the radio but I'd rather not do that either, plus I have thousands of songs that I enjoy and Pandora on my phone.

16. CallMeChris

CallMeChris
    from Arkansas

I'll come visit, I've been looking for a decent audio forum to ask some questions. Thanks for the invite!