Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods CupHolder Taboo

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrPhat40, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is that a spring loaded magnetic catch? Ingenious. Hope it aint patented cuz I've got some building to do tonight.

2. cretin

cretin

Haha! Yea I believe its a BMW fuel door latch. Build away!

3. MrPhat40

MrPhat40

I'll drink to that clever build! Don't tell my wife I said that she will report me to the NFL.
    Neat idea.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Gastrap

Gastrap
    from Tama, Iowa

This is in my AD truck. Has a box to throw my phone in
    . DSCN0655.JPG

Okie Pete likes this.
  5. A Boner

A Boner

Real hot rods don't have cup holders.....they just have coffee stains and sticky soda spills on the floor.

Paul likes this.
  6. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mr.Phat40, I really need to borrow your idea for my Deuce roadster. In the '70's, such a device would have held something illegal, but today I don't "consume"more than a Coke or malt. Great idea, and I will be happy to take flack from the young guns who wouldn't be caught dead with a cup holder of any kind in their ride. I've done it for so long, I believe it can be considered traditional in a stretch. Old car, new car, streetrod, hotrod, who cares. Thanks for the "invention".

7. upspirate

upspirate

Cupholders are just new convenience devices....drinks are traditional though :p

8. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just wunnerin'. Did you get reacquainted with that Irish Catholic accent when you returned ? By the way, are you behind or in front of the camera ?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    clunker likes this.
  9. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh, yes. So, what kind of cup holder did you install in the ride after she heard you ?

10. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

A nice twin model near the seat on the trans hump. Now I wouldn't have a car without them. ;) :D

11. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DITTO your comments, Tman. BECAUSE WE CAN !
    Understand this, Muttley. Many of us drive farther than across town when we cruise, and we might get hungry or thirsty. Now, if your ride is flathead powered, I understand why you stop every 18 miles or so. But lots of us have graduated to more modern "traditional" power, hence we can drive 'till we are out of gas, and for me that's 240 miles, conservatively. This fatboy needs liquid/solid nourishment during that time period. It becomes part of the "trip".

12. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hear that ! My roadster almost becomes my wife's Chrysler 300 when we travel. It needs to be a substitute, somewhat, for modern rides.

i.rant likes this.
  13. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Get a little age on that boy and he will come around. Might even bring Vern's boy with him.

14. I don't have to brag about this Other people do it for me!!!!

falcongeorge likes this.
  15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I thought driving hot rods was supposed to be fun, or that's what the old fogeys on here that are having collective siezures about my gear/cam choices are always telling me anyway.:rolleyes: Sorry, but I fail to see whats fun about spending 4-5 hours behind the wheel on an interstate without stopping. Sounds more like a grim ordeal to me, even in my wifes Rav 4 with the ac on, and yes, CUPHOLDERS:rolleyes:. Whole business sounds like a steaming heap of self-serving bullshit to me, but then, at least half what I hear on here sounds like that to me, so there you go.:eek: Or maybe I am taking this too literally, and its just another HAMB dick swinging contest.
    I know, I know, I just don't get "the HAMB"...:rolleyes:

Ned Ludd, hotrodA, pat59 and 4 others like this.
  16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I like how you think.
    Nice flask holder BTW!

Me and @Bandit Billy both.

Wow, three quotes from me in one post, that's a record.
    I'd never expected to see falcongeorge attached to a cupholder thread.

clunker, cretin and falcongeorge like this.
  17. Soooooo Falcon George please remind us what Hot Rod you drive long distance on a regular basis?????

HemiDeuce and Dooley like this.
  18. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

For a guy that dont get the hamb you sure spend a hell of alot of time rambling on every thread that pops up...

HemiDeuce and Dooley like this.
  19. Clik

Clik

I had a marine/boat style swinging drink holder. It didn't spill when you accelerated hard.

MrPhat40 likes this.
  20. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

21. Maladjusted

Maladjusted

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I actually made a trip like these guys are bragging about once. Maple Ridge BC to Roseburg Oregon and back, with two stops, three if you count going through customs at 4am. 482 miles one way. It was to pick up a car, and the guy lied to us, told Roseburg was "just south" of Portland:rolleyes:. This was when I was about 38, in a late model vehicle with AC and "cupholders". What a fucking ordeal. Sure as HELL wasn't what I would describe as "fun". Took just over 23 hours, including picking up a U-Haul trailer and loading the car.

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

lothiandon1940 and caseywheels like this.
  24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Can't quite make out what your saying George, there seems to be some kind of interference. Let me go back one post and check out what it might be.
    I'll get back to you.

25. cretin

cretin

@1946caddy I'm not the one who built that seat frame, but if I remember correctly, the bends were made out of 4 pieces of flat sheet and welded to the square tubing.

26. CoolYourJets

CoolYourJets

As my old skipper used to say, "Well Sh*t Fire, it keeps the coffee hot too!"

27. ratrod0

ratrod0

28. Ha! I had culture shock for sure when I got back. No one here can pronounce the letter "R" unless it's replacing the "A" at the end of a word:

"Ah you dwiving your Honder Civic down to Havad squayah taday? Bawak Obamer was the fowty fowth pwesident....."

I only get in front of the camera when I F-up and stumble in front of it when they are rolling and ruin a take. I'm in the art department. I build sets and props and work on-set during shoots.

I get why someone might not want a cup holder, or drink coffee while driving. But I don't get why people's panties are in a bunch against it. It ruins your hot rod? U kidding? I don't know about anyone else, but my mouth starts watering for coffee and doughnuts when the key goes in the ignition, any time of day, and I must obey.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    oldsjoe and NashRodMan like this.
  29. MrPhat40

MrPhat40

Best use of the French curve workmanship I've seen on this post.
    A pair of D-cups supporting a coffee cup.
    Once the coffee is gone other uses for them could come to mind, but that is surely a topic for another time and post site.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

junkers72 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  30. Good idea, but don't know if I would like the additional "flavoring". :D

Stogy likes this.