Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Finishing the 48 4 door

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by CallMeChris, Feb 19, 2017.

1. CallMeChris

CallMeChris
    from Arkansas

Just got myself properly introduced in the new members check in forum so figured I would get this started here. I turn 40 this year and I've wanted an "old car" to play with since I was 16 (probably before then). The closest I came was a 65 chevy stepside at a time in my life I didn't have the time/money/space for a project so it didn't last long. I've been seriously browsing for a few months now and came across a project that a man was working on and his grandson inherited it before he finished. Went and looked at it a couple times, made a deal, and now I'm the proud new owner! It's a 48 4 door Stylemaster that has had LOTS of work finished and not much left to do. Things needing finished are:
    -oil pressure gauge and speedo aren't working
    -Exhaust needs to be ran from the mufflers back
    -Paint was never wet sanded after it was sprayed. -There are a couple runs and trash in the clear coat as well as a couple small spots that will need to be touched up
    -Interior needs to be done

And that's about it. I couldn't be happier with it...I love the looks of the 2 door but the 4 door will be fantastic hauling the kids around. This will take a while to get everything finished for me since I'm working on a time and money budget but I really hope to have it finished this year. My goal is not to end up with a trailer queen show car even though I'd love to show up at some cruze ins with it but I want something I can hop in and drive a couple hundred miles for a weekend getaway and not worry about breaking down or keeping up with the freeway traffic. I think I'm well on my way for that.

Now, since I forced you to read all that, on to the pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

T-roaster and low budget like this.
  2. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

V8, air, power brakes, looks like a great family ride. enjoy

3. BJR

BJR

Great family cruiser, loose the raised white letter tires though.

4. CallMeChris

CallMeChris
    from Arkansas

Yeah, 305/700R4 combo. Has power brakes but manual steering still...Front was swapped with a Chasis engineering Mustang2 setup. I haven't read enough to find out why yet but they recommend manual steering with the setup.

One of the first things I need to figure out is a way to keep the hood up. The springs were removed because the guy said they put too much stress on the flimsy hood steel so he planned on fabbing a hood prop. Does that sound right? Most everyone else I've talked to say the springs are just fine.

5. CallMeChris

CallMeChris
    from Arkansas

I plan on having the tires turned around and adding a thin chrome trim ring to the rims. My daughter wants me to put a set with a wide whitewall on but the tires are brand new...maybe when it's time for a set. LOL

belair likes this.
  6. Squablow

Squablow

You can shave the sidewalls on your raised white letter tires to make wide whitewalls. Some places have a machine that can do it, but you can do it at home with a grinder and they turn out nice if you're real careful. There are some good threads and even a Youtube video somewhere showing how to do it.

There's about a 3" wide band of white rubber just beneath the surface and if you carefully remove it you can expose the whole thing. I did a set and ran them bald and never had an issue. Best to practice on a couple of junk ones first though so you get the hang of it, it's easy to leave grinder marks if you're not careful.

The rest of the car looks like a nice mild custom, at least from the outside. I know you said you still plan to do the interior, I hope a different steering column and certainly a different wheel will make their way in there during the process. The seats that are in there almost look like Corvair or A-body GM from the muscle car era, which could be cool if they're done right, or would be valuable if they got replaced with benches again.

7. MidwestOldie

MidwestOldie

A few things to finish for your nice driver and cruise-in hangouts.

CallMeChris likes this.
  8. Torchie

Torchie

My first car back when I was 14 (I'm 60 now) was a 1947 Chevy 4 door Fleetmaster. Still had the 216-6 and the vacuum assisted 3 on the tree. I payed $60 for it and drove it home..... I was big for my age.
    I never had a problem with the hood springs. Sounds like the guy was just to lazy to put them back on or he lost them.
    If it hasn't been done you may want to look into converting to electric wipers. The old original ones aren't designed for a car that goes over 50 MPH. :)
    Good luck and have fun.
    Torchie

9. CallMeChris

CallMeChris
    from Arkansas

Interesting idea on the tires, I had no idea. I highly doubt I'll go that route but will definitely look up the videos just to watch it done. I love learning new things.

The column and wheel is from a Chevy van...I like that it has tilt, but despise the wheel. At the least, it will be changed. And yes, I was told the seats are from a Nova. The emergency brake pull handle was moved to the floor between the seats is why he went with the low back buckets. I'm trying to decide if I want to leave the seats and do a custom console or go back with the correct bench and move the e brake. To be honest, I'm wanting to get it to driving status so I'll probably leave the buckets in and possibly change them out later.

10. CallMeChris

CallMeChris
    from Arkansas

Cool, I'll be ordering a set of springs then.

And the wipers are still the original ones. He had plans of using Rain X and leaving the arms off and putting caps on the stubs...I have plans of driving the car and using the wipers...lol

11. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

That wheel could be out of a van (not saying it isnt) but I never saw one in one, that is what I always referred to as a GT vega style wheel, They also came out in camaros (maybe vans etc???)and maybe others but they were highly sought after back in the 80s to go on whatever GM......Ive had a few......They have a great feel and perfect size to them but they arent what would be considered traditional pre 65 stuff, they kind of went out of popularity with ralley wheels etc....all of it may come back around someday but......

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  12. Yeah, you're definitely going to want to upgrade those wipers! Nothing like having the wipers stop dead while your trying to a pass a semi in the rain because he's spraying you with so much water you couldn't see to begin with! I imagine a remote vacuum reservoir might at least help with that problem, if a wiper upgrade isn't in the immediate picture.

Sent from my SM-S902L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

14. CallMeChris

CallMeChris
    from Arkansas

Just did a little googling and found some great information on this and a few videos....still something I doubt I'll tackle with a new set of tires but makes me want to find a cheap set somewhere and get my grinder out...lol

Squablow likes this.
  15. oldwagonlover

oldwagonlover

Congrats, good looking car. Like the stance and the color.
    I know it's a four door but still good looking.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. Very cool car drive it and enjoy it I am building. 37 Plymouth four door just work on one thing at a time the next thing you know you will be crusing ! Hobo Jim

17. 38caddy

38caddy
    from RI

This is a great entry point into an old car hobby. It's practical and (I imagine) affordable (relatively speaking). Needing an interior is no big deal with all the kits available. And the car is clean and solid. there are only 2 swing-and-a-miss items, in my opinion. The tires seem out of place, as was said previously. I assume they were selected purely for practical reasons to get it rolling. I'd probably keep them for the same reasons, until they wear out. The steering wheel, however, is just so far out of place that I can't stop looking at it. More importantly, the horn button is off-rotated and I keep wanting to jump into the pictures, pull it and put a new wheel on, just to have a reason to fix the horn button. One other thing I might do... Check out all the electrical-related components. if they all work, get some zip ties on those wires. There are far too many of them just hanging down in the footwells just asking to be ripped out by a misdirected foot. So, that's it. Zip ties, interior kit, steering wheel, drive it. I wouldn't even bother with fixing the paint right now. It looks pretty great from the pics. You could have it on the road in a month or two, tops.

18. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Just put the stock hood springs on, they won't hurt anything if he didn't mess with the hood. As an alternative you might be able to adapt modern gas struts but the springs are easier,and I think new ones are available.

You have a real cool cruiser there with room for the whole family. Those cars really respond to a 2 tone paint job, just a suggestion.

19. belair

belair

Neat car. I had a 48 Aerosedan and loved it.

20. I have the same problem with raised white letters on brand new tires. (put on by the previous owner.)

I was quoted: $120 to have them reversed!

I think I will just buy some black liquid shoe polish and " black" the letters out. 1017161500a.jpg

21. CallMeChris

CallMeChris
    from Arkansas

So finally got home from work and have been playing with her for a few days now. Good and bad has been discovered...lol

There are wiring grimlins. There is a new wiring harness installed and everything is nice and neat under the hood but behind the dash it's ugly. I've had to rewire all the gauges to get them to work, it was a spaghetti mess of wrong colored wires hooked up to the wrong spots. There were additions of red, black, brown, white, and blue being used for + and - that I had to trace to see what it was and replace with the correct color. I've also got a short somewhere in the headlights that keeps blowing the fuse. I've got everything but the headlights working now. Tried wiring up the clock and discovered it has no wires.

http://s258.photobucket.com/user/chrisja77/media/48 Chevy/2DE0DD4C-84FC-4EF8-BF4A-070BFBE525F7.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

http://s258.photobucket.com/user/chrisja77/media/48 Chevy/316771C2-4C6A-4C57-8C0D-F3606E7CC252.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

It's a windup. I shouldn't find this as cool as I do but I absolutely love it!

Drove it around town a couple days ago and she runs great. Stayed 180-190 degrees except when I got stuck in traffic for awhile and she crept up to a shade over 210. Cooked right back down after I took off though. Might have to look into a fan shroud or adding an electric fan for a backup. Also holds first gear too long for my taste and shifts hard. There is a shift kit that was installed when the trans was rebuilt that I don't care for.

Transmission crossmember hangs WAY too low. The belly rubs on everything....railroad tracks, rough parking lots, driveways. I'm going to have to see about having a custom one built that tucks everything up a little tighter.

Trying to decide if I want to get longer coils and raise the front a couple inches or lower the rear a couple inches so it sits a little more level. The crossmember will have to be done sooner than later if I lower the rear.

Oh, and the wipers have been swapped to electric. Mark that in the win column!